Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Six ways to ruin your ride with terrible add-ons

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 06:14 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
many Buick's get them as well as the new Escape.

The worst are the PepBoys ones
lol .......
Old 10-17-12, 06:15 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take these things on a car by car case, what works for one will not work for another. For example, you need to have wide tires, big brakes and large exhaust on a 500hp Supra turbo, you don't need the same items for a 90 hp Civic.
Old 10-17-12, 10:31 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Those are only for the Chrysler 300 lol.. at least i hope..
They come oem on some buicks
Old 10-17-12, 10:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

My list:
1) Rims that are so big it makes the car look like a 4x4.
2) Venti-ports
3) Door edge trim/guards.
4) Added reflectors
5) Seat and dash covers
6) Aftermarket LED strips. Have yet to see one that didn't look cheesy.
7) Smoked taillights that make them hard to see.
Old 10-18-12, 03:55 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by python
From a mathematical standpoint, it is physically impossible to stop a car in a shorter distance by increasing the size of the brakes, including rotors, pads, calipers, pistons, fluid, etc.
The determining factor is friction and the determining friction is between the tire and the road. Physics, 101.
Old 10-18-12, 05:16 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
From a mathematical standpoint, it is physically impossible to stop a car in a shorter distance by increasing the size of the brakes, including rotors, pads, calipers, pistons, fluid, etc.
The determining factor is friction and the determining friction is between the tire and the road. Physics, 101.
Well it depends on the car, I had a 1965 comet that had drum brakes that were not power brakes. I got the car up to 80 and then I used both feet on the brake pedal with all my strength an it took forever to stop that thing. You could not even come close to locking those brakes up at that speed. It was so scary I never did that again.
Old 10-18-12, 06:13 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
Yeah, the guy selling big brake kits says it. Of course he wants to sell big brake kits. But it's a lie, (if your brakes aren't overheated that is)
that wasnt an advertisement...
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/brake_FAQ.htm
scroll down to "truth about big brake kits"
im telling u my car does stop much better, i couldnt care less what any of u think or say, i know my car, i know exactly how under braked a gen 1 Ls is and what effect putting larger rotors/pads and better calipers has had on my cars stopping distance. the very first sentence says..some cars can stop shorter from adding a bigger brake kit..well my car does.
in summation: before i put bigger brakes on, my cars braking was horrendous..after i put the brake kit on it stops much better and i havent changed anything else..tires,suspension or anything

Last edited by python; 10-18-12 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 07:20 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So effectively Yahoo is saying don't buy any Mercedes AMG car, BMW M car, Nissan GTR, any REAL sports car or super car, ever.

To the above regarding the 1LS's brakes, there's a reason they upgraded them later on in the run. The early models used the same brakes as the SC's which are a smaller, lighter car. Simple fact, big brakes help stopping distance, particularly on heavy cars. Will you notice the difference in every day traffic? No. But there's a reason race cars have 16" rotors and 8 piston calipers. That's extreme for the road, but I can tell you my S60R with 13", 4 piston brembos all around braked a lot better than my ES350, a car with similar weight but much smaller brakes.
Old 10-18-12, 07:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
My list:
1) Rims that are so big it makes the car look like a 4x4.
2) Venti-ports
3) Door edge trim/guards.
4) Added reflectors
5) Seat and dash covers
6) Aftermarket LED strips. Have yet to see one that didn't look cheesy.
7) Smoked taillights that make them hard to see.

Add in those ugly stick on vinyl/rubber protectors strips and/or that drop down from the trunk mat that protects the painted bumper covers..
Old 10-18-12, 08:42 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Think of it this way. You have 30psi in your tyre and 30lbs acting downwards, this means your contact patch is one square inch regardless of tyre size and width. What changes with a wider tyre is the shape of the contact patch, which becomes wider and shorter and has its own benefits.
That explains it, this guy only feels 30 pounds on his stomach.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Old 10-18-12, 09:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
So effectively Yahoo is saying don't buy any Mercedes AMG car, BMW M car, Nissan GTR, any REAL sports car or super car, ever.
lol agreed

Funny list. I am glad Lexus has stayed away from the tacky chrome vents on Infinitis, Buicks, etc etc

Old 10-18-12, 10:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Lexus is way to classy for that
Old 10-18-12, 10:59 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

bigger brakes dont improve stopping? so a larger surface,bigger pads and more pistons dont matter?
i went from stock gen 1 brakes to an upgrade kit i put together which includes 1995+ pads,rotors,calipers and also ss lines..i also changed over to dot 4(which only has a higher boiling point). im here to tell u my car not only stops faster but more consistantly and my brakes dissipate heat much better.
http://www.modified.com/features/060...s/viewall.html

The Truth: Although brakes with larger diameter rotors and more piston area will increase braking torque-the ability to stop a wheel from spinning-this doesn't mean that your car will stop any quicker. In truth, it is the tires that provide the friction interface between the road and the car. Consequently, they also determine how quickly a car can scrub speed. Imagine putting rock hard commuter tires on a car with race brakes. All the braking torque in the world does no good if the wheels lock up and the tires skid.

There are some situations in which a big brake upgrade can help significantly reduce braking distances over stock, however. Generally speaking, larger brakes increase thermal capacity, due to increased rotor size and pad area. Increasing thermal capacity allows the brakes to store more heat, which reduces brake fluid boiling (a major cause of brake fade). Larger diameter and thicker rotors also circulate more air and dissipate the heat stored in the rotor quicker. There are caveats to these larger brakes however. Certain pads and rotors work best at the elevated temperatures only seen in racing conditions. Put a racing brake system on your street car, and it may never perform at its best.

Read more: http://www.modified.com/features/060...#ixzz29frsaVSq
Old 10-18-12, 12:47 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Except brakes can overheat, pads can overheat, etc.

Calipers with more and/or bigger pistons will grab the disc harder and distribute the load more evenly; allowing you to STOP MORE QUICKLY, given you have adequate tires. Larger brakes with larger surface areas and larger venting areas will not overheat as easily.

On a weak brake setup, one hard stop will overheat them and make them very ineffective until they have time to cool down.

Bigger brakes most certainly do help you stop better. On one test that checks stopping distance changes? Probably not unless you're got tire upgrades or some seriously bad brakes as that's more of a function of tire grip. Multiple stops and jaunts through mountain roads, an HPDE, an autocross, etc? Makes a HUGE difference.

This list is stupid. I guess it applies to VIP cars mostly.
Old 10-18-12, 03:55 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

that wasnt an advertisement...
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/brake_FAQ.htm
scroll down to "truth about big brake kits"
im telling u my car does stop much better, i couldnt care less what any of u think or say, i know my car, i know exactly how under braked a gen 1 Ls is and what effect putting larger rotors/pads and better calipers has had on my cars stopping distance. the very first sentence says..some cars can stop shorter from adding a bigger brake kit..well my car does.
in summation: before i put bigger brakes on, my cars braking was horrendous..after i put the brake kit on it stops much better and i havent changed anything else..tires,suspension or anything
Maybe the original brakes did not have enough stopping power to lock the wheels at higher speeds, if that is the case then it would lower your stopping distance. I would agree that it feels like it stops better but unless it does not have the power to lock the wheels then I doubt it. The other issue may be that the front to rear was not balanced so the back tires would lock up before you got full braking power to your fronts, this would cause the abs to kick in and therefore shorten your braking potential. I had a truck that had this issue because the back was so light. That's the difference between theory and reality. Especially with the spongy feeling brakes toyota has on all their cars. Not sure why they do that, I guess they figure it prevents panic stopping or something.

Quick Reply: Six ways to ruin your ride with terrible add-ons