Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Redesigned Tata Nano to arrive in U.S. wearing price tag under $10k

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 04:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Redesigned Tata Nano to arrive in U.S. wearing price tag under $10k

Redesigned Tata Nano to arrive in U.S. wearing price tag under $10k

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/tata-...photo-4877320/

Tata's much ballyhooed Nano isn't exactly selling as expected in its home market of India, especially after the well-publicized fires engulfing the several examples of the world's cheapest car. Despite that, the head of Tata Group, Ratan Tata, says his company remains intent on bringing an updated sub-$10,000 Nano to the States, and he intends to do so in three years.

While the Indian market gets a bare-bones Nano powered by a two-cylinder, 37-horsepower engine, Tata unsurprisingly says the US version will have a larger engine, power steering and traction control.

"The Smart and the Fiat 500 have high sticker prices, and people buy them because they are small cars," Tata tells Automotive News. "But everyone knows you put a lot of money into it. We hope that the sub-$10,000 car has appeal."

With the US economy still slowly recovering, a car for under $10k could have plenty of appeal. But the Indian automaker has several obstacles to overcome first, not the least of which is building a dealer network for the Nano. Tata owns Jaguar and Land Rover, but that group's CEO, Andy Goss, says there has been no discussion about using those dealers to distribute the Nano.

Perhaps the updated US-bound Nano will be more like the Nano Megapixel concept (pictured above) we saw at the Geneva Motor Show back in March. That car had a longer, 138-inch wheelbase and a larger 325cc engine supplemented by two electric motors. It's safe to assume that if Tata wants to keep costs down so that it can offer the car below $10,000, the next Nano won't get a hybrid powertrain like the Megapixel, but perhaps it will pick up some of the car's size and styling cues.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/15/r...ice-tag-under/
Old 10-15-12, 05:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

i think it has a chance if done right.
Old 10-15-12, 07:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think it has a chance if done right.
it has zero chance.

:-)

Not even Indians are buying this car.
Old 10-15-12, 07:29 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

looks nice enough
Old 10-15-12, 08:13 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It be a great golf cart or something to drive around your retirement community.
Old 10-15-12, 09:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
looks nice enough
yeah, because thats not the car they make, just an concept... this is car they make:

"The Nano car is a very reliable and safe vehicle,” Carl-Peter Forster, Tata's CEO was quoted as saying by wheelsunplugged.com. “The company has undertaken a second check and found that the vehicle has a safe design.”

“The company has taken up several corrective measures and will now offer cover tool on catalytic converter to prevent the car from catching fire. It will also install fuse in electrical components to avoid short circuits."
Old 10-15-12, 09:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

If Autoblog's writers were any smarter, they would ask Suzuki why not bring September's best selling kei car in japan here to usa:

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2012/...n-r-back-to-1/
Old 10-15-12, 09:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

There must be some irony in that while burning this thing the license plate reads 420
Old 10-16-12, 05:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

There is a Tato Nano here in Miami that belongs to a diplomat as I have seen it a few times when I go through Coconut Grove from Cocoplum Circle. Kind of reminds me of an elongated Smart when I saw it up close.
Old 10-16-12, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
If Autoblog's writers were any smarter, they would ask Suzuki why not bring September's best selling kei car in Japan here to usa:

To me at least, the reason is obvious. Look at that ultra-tall/narrow stance....and the (apparant) center of gravity. Remember the ill-fated Samurai? Suzuki lost a lot of money here in the U.S. from lawsuits stemming from Samurais rolling over like beach-*****. In Japan, the tort-laws are different than here in the litigation-happy U.S.
Old 10-16-12, 09:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

To me at least, the reason is obvious. Look at that ultra-tall/narrow stance....and the (apparant) center of gravity. Remember the ill-fated Samurai? Suzuki lost a lot of money here in the U.S. from lawsuits stemming from Samurais rolling over like beach-*****. In Japan, the tort-laws are different than here in the litigation-happy U.S.
My friend, it is 2012... there is mandatory esp in every car that is tested against roll over... it is least of anyone's worries.
Old 10-16-12, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
My friend, it is 2012... there is mandatory esp in every car that is tested against roll over... it is least of anyone's worries.
Your point may have some merit, but I still think it is mainly our tort-laws here in the U.S. that prevens designs like this from selling here. Note, for example, that you won't see anything that narrow for its height in America from from our own domestic auto companies....though, of course, the auto buisness is global rather than national.

True, VSC can help to some extent, but there is no overruling the laws of physics. Volvo (and Ford, its ex-owner) used a special Roll-Control VSC for their SUVs that also corrected for actual body-roll, not just yaw/understeer/oversteer like most VSC systems, but it is unclear which (if any) other companies have the legal-rights to use it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-12 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-16-12, 10:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your point may have some merit, but I still think it is mainly our tort-laws here in the U.S. that prevens designs like this from selling here. Note, for example, that you won't see anything that narrow for its height in America from from our own domestic auto companies....though, of course, the auto buisness is global rather than national.

True, VSC can help to some extent, but there is no overruling the laws of physics. Volvo (and Ford, its ex-owner) used a special Roll-Control VSC for their SUVs that also corrected for actual body-roll, not just yaw/understeer/oversteer like most VSC systems, but it is unclear which (if any) other companies have the legal-rights to use it.
all ESPs have now anti-roll program, so there is nothing to worry about there.
Old 10-16-12, 10:11 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the crash safety of this death trap?

I guess what you pay is what you get. I wonder if during an NHTSA crash test, the entire front dash will completely disintegrate until the back
Old 10-16-12, 10:39 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
There must be some irony in that while burning this thing the license plate reads 420
sorry didn't get it. Is that some reference to an event or something?

Quick Reply: Redesigned Tata Nano to arrive in U.S. wearing price tag under $10k