Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buying a car online vs at a dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 08:11 PM
carbuddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car online vs at a dealership

Buying a car online vs at a dealership
I am debating looking into purchasing a car online. I am so sick and tired of listening to car sales people try to upsell and teeter around what the price of the car is. I absolutely despise them. Has anyone had a good experience with online purchases? It seems to me like there are so many more options and a more competitive market. If you have had a good experience with a certain site please recommend!
Old 10-11-12, 08:30 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If you're a member of a credit union, I recommend using their services. Not only do they have inventory that comes with deep discounts for simply being a credit union member but also they offer competitive auto loan rates. Aside from that, I would check out True Car's website (truecar.com). Best of luck! I personally like to go to the dealership, after having done my research, just to check out the actual color combo I might be interested in or just to get a physical feel of the vehicle. Best of luck to you!
Old 10-11-12, 10:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Buying online is the only way I'd ever do it. You skip all the BS you listed above and you save a lot of time and gas money.
Email all your surrounding dealers and tell them exactly what you want and what you are willing to pay. Of course this means you have to do all your homework ahead of time and on your own. You have to be ready when you do this, or you'd be wasting their time too. About the only disadvantage is you cannot test drive a car this way. When Lexus used to have their Taste of Lexus events, this was the way to test them all out. Maybe drive a friend's and do it that way.
Good luck!
Old 10-12-12, 02:18 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious....are you talking about buying a car thru internet sales at dealerships or are you looking for suggestions and comments about sites in general to buy cars online site unseen (i.e. eBay Motors)?
Old 10-13-12, 08:59 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big difference if you are talking about new or used.
Old 10-13-12, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Buying online is the only way I'd ever do it. You skip all the BS you listed above and you save a lot of time and gas money.
Respectfully, I may have to disagree. My experience is to never buy a car, new or used, that you can't inspect and test-drive first. Although most of today's new vehicles are assembled and prepared quite well, you still never know what problems you could find. In general, minor paint-scratches, steering-wheel shimmy at cruise speeds from wheel/tire-mount problems, runout/vibration in the brake rotors from warpage or other problems, tracking problems from wheel alignment/suspension problems, and dirt/smudges in the interior are the most common problems I see.
Old 10-13-12, 09:54 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Respectfully, I may have to disagree. My experience is to never buy a car, new or used, that you can't inspect and test-drive first. Although most of today's new vehicles are assembled and prepared quite well, you still never know what problems you could find. In general, minor paint-scratches, steering-wheel shimmy at cruise speeds from wheel/tire-mount problems, runout/vibration in the brake rotors from warpage or other problems, tracking problems from wheel alignment/suspension problems, and dirt/smudges in the interior are the most common problems I see.
X 2.
Too easy to deceive with a pretty picture & a well written description.
Old 10-13-12, 11:14 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sales person makes money base on percentage of the profit on the sold car, internet sales make money on quantity of vehicle sold each month.
Old 10-13-12, 12:51 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll go test drive at dealers but usually don't buy there....I always look online and haggle via email...HOWEVER -- some dealers still don't like to deal like this -- they want to immediately call you and/or schedule an appointment to come in.

Houston area where I live is a shetty area for getting good deals evidently because I haven't bought any cars locally except for my C5 back in 2004....always use autotrader/cars.com and just use email to make the deal.