Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

J.Clarkson drives the LFA... finally

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 09:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

He is an entertainer more than a car reviewer, frankly I don't even care what he thinks ...
Old 10-01-12, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

fantastic! comment on sc430 is funny
Old 10-01-12, 09:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

not sure why anyone would complain about this review - he LOVED it.
Old 10-01-12, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I cant imagine anyone driving the LFA and giving it a poor review
Most of what he wrote in this article, IMO, wasn't a true auto-review at all. It was a story of why he habitually speeds in Nevada and didn't learn his lesson getting stopped.
Old 10-01-12, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure why anyone would complain about this review - he LOVED it.
I agree he liked (and was surprised by) the car.....when he actually got around to describing it. What he truly loves, though, is speeding.
Old 10-01-12, 12:23 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

A few dry as dust car reviewers could take a leaf out of Clarkson's book and learn how to write an entertaining article. Weight, top speed, 0-60, specifications etc. we can get from the manufacturers - any idiot can regurgitate that stuff. If I'm going to spend time reading someone's prose I want to feel they've put some of their personality into it.
Old 10-01-12, 01:44 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
He is an entertainer more than a car reviewer, frankly I don't even care what he thinks ...
Agree!!! I gave up watching top gear UK & top gear USA after I watch their sc430 review........the car that I own & reviewed. I agree that the suspension is soft, but its very comfy!! The rest are their opinion, not fact. I'm putting coil overs on my SC430 today....let see how it drive
Old 10-01-12, 02:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree he liked (and was surprised by) the car.....when he actually got around to describing it. What he truly loves, though, is speeding.
i would guess all commercial car reviewers love (and engage in) speeding. no way can someone test drive something like a ferrari or lf-a on public roads and stay within the speed limit.

you prefer a practical and factual review. clarkson is a creative writer and an entertainer in addition to a car enthusiast. i personally LOVE his reviews. i appreciate his enthusiasm, and his humor!
Old 10-01-12, 03:11 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

clarkson is a creative writer and an entertainer in addition to a car enthusiast. i personally LOVE his reviews. i appreciate his enthusiasm, and his humor!
It's Brit humor.

Anyone who takes it seriously surely will never get it...
Old 10-03-12, 12:56 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved the article haha. True Clarkson
Old 10-03-12, 01:34 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would guess all commercial car reviewers love (and engage in) speeding. no way can someone test drive something like a ferrari or lf-a on public roads and stay within the speed limit.

you prefer a practical and factual review. clarkson is a creative writer and an entertainer in addition to a car enthusiast. i personally LOVE his reviews. i appreciate his enthusiasm, and his humor!
You speak truth.

Top Gear is as right brain as you can get when it comes to cars. It's totally about the emotion and intangible love of cars. We need something like that because there's a huge part of the world who sees cars as just tools and machines and another, far smaller, part who sees them as living things with personalities and attitudes. It's adolescent, in a way, but that's usually where love of cars starts.

These are guys that drive the world's smallest car through a maze of office cubicles, try to destroy a 20 years old Toyota pickup on purpose, and zing around in the world's fastest cars for the pure thrill. The LFA thrilled Clarkson and this is a guy who's driven more exotica than we can dream of. Take it as a compliment.
Old 10-03-12, 07:01 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Coincidentally, I'm smack-dab in the middle of Nevada (specifically at Los Margaritas restaurant in Winnamucca) as I read this having just driven here from the SF Bay Area without a single speeding ticket. I managed to do that by not exceeding the speed limit (by much) in my LS. Prior to the Federally mandated, nation-wide 55 MPH speed limit several years back, Nevada did not set speed limits. Since then, and even now that the limit on I-80 is 75 MPH, the Nevada Highway Patrol has been very serious about enforcing the speed limits - maybe to get past the no-limit reputation or maybe to get revenue (or both). Clearly the Brits didn't get the memo.

Anyway, I first came across this guy after seeking out reviews of the IS F. Per his review, since I'm an IS F owner and not an M3 owner, I'm a "dork." Since the first thing I heard from this guy is that I'm a "dork" for owning an IS F, I did not become a fan of his.

Clarkson is welcome to remedy this situation and make me a fan of his reviews but it will cost him. If he sends me a check for $200 or more along with a written, public apology, I will become a fan. I'll be watching my mailbox for that check.
Old 11-23-12, 02:12 PM
@lpher
Lead Lap

Just stumbled upon the video of this Top Gear test of the LF-A! I must admit, I can't remember Top Gear EVER raving on about Toyota or Lexus like this before!

It's included on the DVD: Top Gear The Worst Car In The History Of The World 2012

Clarkson quote: "It's bloody brilliant!"

SC430 owners be warned...

Last edited by @lpher; 11-23-12 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-25-12, 04:33 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by @lpher
Just stumbled upon the video of this Top Gear test of the LF-A! I must admit, I can't remember Top Gear EVER raving on about Toyota or Lexus like this before!

It's included on the DVD: Top Gear The Worst Car In The History Of The World 2012

Clarkson quote: "It's bloody brilliant!"

SC430 owners be warned...
him and May slobbered all over it. it was awesome...

and yeah...the SC430 took it on the chin
Old 11-25-12, 07:03 PM
LexFather

While he loved it not sure how the LFA could get less than 5 stars. The more cars I've been riding/driving in the more I realize how ****ing special and amazing the LFA is.

Funny but I think I have the CAR mag where they also tested the SC 430 10 years ago and they didn't like it either. Oddly enough the Lexus team spent time at the French Riviera to find inspiration for the SC 430.

We all there are cars far worse than the SC 430. Of course trolls and people that hate Lexus will just jump in the poo they love to sling and play in.

Quick Reply: J.Clarkson drives the LFA... finally