Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

your thoughts on the new Infiniti JX35

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-12, 11:46 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default your thoughts on the new Infiniti JX35

i will be in the market for a 7 seater SUV soon, although a fully loaded Sienna SE van isn't out of question just yet. my price target tops out at $45k. i like the JX's exterior styling, roominess and gas mileage, but the weak sause engine and CVT combo is really forcing me to look the other way. anyone here ever driven or riden in one?
Old 09-22-12, 11:59 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I drove one very briefly, and it is very well put together, and the ride is nice. The engine is weak, but definitely fine for what it is. Looks, I'm not a fan of, but its subjective. All in all, i'd have it over an MDX mainly because i feel like the Acura is just plain ugly, and the Infiniti seems to be better put together and not as cheap as the Acura, which really isn't that cheap either.
Old 09-22-12, 12:08 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I drove a JX for a day a few months back and I as not a fan of the CVT at all.

I had a Sienna as a rental for a day last month, and as much as I hate to admit it, I thought it drove pretty well. Very smooth.

I owned an 07 MDX and loved it. The updated 6 speed auto (I think 2010+) is supposed to make it even better. Next gen MDX should be out early next year if you can wait, I think it would be worth it.
Old 09-22-12, 02:10 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

JX seems nice enough. Really like the flexibility of the seating and the high quality interior.
Now for the Sienna: If you can grit your teeth and stand up to society's pre-conceived notions about the infamous minivan it is probably the logical choice. The swagger wagon is definitely best bang for your buck and not at all bad to drive. For a good review, look up speedydaddy.com and Sienna SE.
Finally, the 7 passenger CUV is a huge gap in the Lexus lineup. I suspect we will see one based on the next redesign of the Highlander but that might be past your timeline. Good luck!
Old 09-22-12, 03:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I like the exterior styling but the interior bothers me, and the 265hp is just pathetic in a vehicle this big. At least give it the290hp version in the Maxima
Old 09-22-12, 04:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Not a fan of the looks, saw it at first and I liked the looks, but the more I see it, the more I think it looks bad.
Old 09-22-12, 04:37 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

imo, 7 seater SUVs aren't designed to be eye candies. The GX460 and X5 have 3rd row seating, but they're not truely designed to seat 7. the only ones with true 7 passenger seating premium SUVs out there are GL450, Landcruiser/LX570, Escalade, Sequoia and the JX, the 1st three are out of my price range, Sequoia is way too big for me, so JX is the most logical choice available, until the redesigned MDX comes out.
Old 09-22-12, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I reviewed one earlier this year. This should tell you much of what you may want to know:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...niti-jx35.html
Old 09-22-12, 06:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
imo, 7 seater SUVs aren't designed to be eye candies. The GX460 and X5 have 3rd row seating, but they're not truely designed to seat 7. the only ones with true 7 passenger seating premium SUVs out there are GL450, Landcruiser/LX570, Escalade, Sequoia and the JX, the 1st three are out of my price range, Sequoia is way too big for me, so JX is the most logical choice available, until the redesigned MDX comes out.
you seem to like it, go for it then :-).
Old 09-22-12, 06:30 PM
LexFather

Its basically made to offer 7 seats and thats it. It is extremely late to the field and brings no innovation and surely doesn't define or reinvent the class. I think its big gimmick is an optional rear sensor so you don't run over your kids. It drives less sporty than an RX, its built in Tennessee and has the 3.5 VQ from 10 years ago seemingly with 265hp which is ridiculous. No hybrid, no diesel. . What "Inspiried Performance".??The interior looks way to close to the Pathfinder. I won't go overboard with looks but its offending and puke inducing.

But hey, it offers 7 seats and its selling like hotcakes which tells you exactly who the market for this vehicle is.

Buick Enclave for me please. I refuse to support such an average effort that is here just to expand sales and not to elevate the class or the brand.

Old 09-22-12, 09:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
You missed perhaps one of the best in the biz for 3rd row comfort, the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator
Old 09-22-12, 10:14 PM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hotrod of the 7 seaters would probably be a Flex with ecoboost
Old 09-22-12, 10:42 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
JX seems nice enough. Really like the flexibility of the seating and the high quality interior.
Now for the Sienna: If you can grit your teeth and stand up to society's pre-conceived notions about the infamous minivan it is probably the logical choice. The swagger wagon is definitely best bang for your buck and not at all bad to drive. For a good review, look up speedydaddy.com and Sienna SE.
Finally, the 7 passenger CUV is a huge gap in the Lexus lineup. I suspect we will see one based on the next redesign of the Highlander but that might be past your timeline. Good luck!
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I mentioned a particular review on the Sienna, since the OP brought it up. There are actually two:
http://speedydaddy.com/2012-toyota-s...-drive-review/
http://speedydaddy.com/2012-toyota-s...w-car-profile/

Last edited by NewSpace; 09-22-12 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-23-12, 03:56 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to be an all around excellent vehicle, fits the segment well, most people don't know anything about the engine or trans, so that is pointless, decent gas mileage it drives fine, what more can you ask for
Old 09-23-12, 04:05 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

cant get no better then a Suburban

Quick Reply: your thoughts on the new Infiniti JX35