Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OT new M5/M6 have oil pump issues already

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-12, 10:49 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why shouldn't the owners drive the cars that they paid for just because of your design or manufacturing flaws? I say the owners should ignore the warning and keep driving their $100k super sedan/coupe and if issues come up and the engine is severely damaged then its BMW's responsibility to replace them..........it's within their powertrain warranty isn't it?
Old 09-22-12, 12:34 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I hope nobody wants 2013 M5 and can pick one up for cheap
Old 09-22-12, 06:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Why shouldn't the owners drive the cars that they paid for just because of your design or manufacturing flaws? I say the owners should ignore the warning and keep driving their $100k super sedan/coupe and if issues come up and the engine is severely damaged then its BMW's responsibility to replace them..........it's within their powertrain warranty isn't it?
The issue is a car with a rebuilt engine has a low resale value compared to one without which some owners state in that thread. And some people will drive it and some will probably miss the recall etc...

Old 09-24-12, 07:20 AM
RizOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Care to elaborate?

I'm not sure what an oil pump issue has to do with liking NA engines?
There is no direct correlation. I was just saying BMW doesn't seem to have those issues with their NA engines. I have had several.
Old 09-24-12, 10:40 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Which goes to show that sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it as well. There are some that deride Lexus for not going Forced Induction but the higher-ups at Lexus know full well the reliability trade-offs for turbo-ed/supercharged cars.

If/when Lexus comes out with a turbo/super-charged engine, you can bet they'll have tested the heck out of that engine and that it'll be as reliable and painless to own as a NA engine.
This is an oil pump. Did you know that N/A engines have oil pumps? The N54 engine itself is actually very reliable, most auto enthusiasts are comparing it in strength to the Toyota 2JZ. The main issue has been FUEL pumps and that specifically because it is a DI motor. This issue has also plagued other brands (though not as notably because BMW sells more turbocharged cars) because the supplier of the part made bad parts (which has now been remedied). One can criticize BMW's handling of the issue (which was handled VERY poorly imo - but anyone who had a warranty was covered unless they had a car with a lot of mods).

Originally Posted by RizOne
There is no direct correlation. I was just saying BMW doesn't seem to have those issues with their NA engines. I have had several.
I'm not aware of too many N54-based cars have oil pump problems. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate?

Last edited by Bean; 09-24-12 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-24-12, 12:33 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
This is an oil pump. Did you know that N/A engines have oil pumps?

So the problem isn't because it's a turbo-charged engine per se.

It's because it's a engine made by BMW.

Got it....

Joking aside. Lexus GR-FSE (with direct injection)came out in 2006 and has been rock solid. Again I ask : what's BMW's excuse? And don't say that it's because BMW sells so many DI engines. Lexus has been selling DI engines since 2006 and I'm betting the number of Toyota/Lexus DI engines out in the world far outnumber BMW DI engines, yet one has far fewer instances of DI-related problems despite selling in larger numbers.
Old 09-24-12, 01:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
So the problem isn't because it's a turbo-charged engine per se.

It's because it's a engine made by BMW.

Got it....

Joking aside. Lexus GR-FSE (with direct injection)came out in 2006 and has been rock solid. Again I ask : what's BMW's excuse? And don't say that it's because BMW sells so many DI engines. Lexus has been selling DI engines since 2006 and I'm betting the number of Toyota/Lexus DI engines out in the world far outnumber BMW DI engines, yet one has far fewer instances of DI-related problems despite selling in larger numbers.
their owners apperantly dont care so....
Old 09-24-12, 02:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I feel for the owners. Look like nothing has changed but the date
Old 09-25-12, 12:41 PM
MI350_55
Pole Position

If it makes them feel better... It's still an ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!
Old 09-25-12, 01:54 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XvXmu3Qux4g

24 M5s delivered on 09/01/12 ED. I feel sorry for them.
Old 09-25-12, 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=XvXmu3Qux4g

24 M5s delivered on 09/01/12 ED. I feel sorry for them.
kind of sucks that they cant driven now that they got them...
Old 09-27-12, 12:48 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sigh...this is the only reason it has kept me away from potentially owning some of BMW's finest of the past & makes me appriciate Lexus reliability much more. Looks like the only ///M I like that is actually quite trouble free is the E9x M3. But we'll see how well those DCT's hold up in the long run.

Originally Posted by Och
The problem comes in when you want to eat all the cakes at once, and do it right away. When you want a high power turbocharged engine and want to keep it efficient - you need to have high compression and very efficient injection system. This where you will run into reliability issues, especially if you rush it to the market and have BMW's mentality of "you suckers will buy anything". It gets even worse with diesels - I'd love to see maintenance and repair bills on these fancy "bluetecs" in 10 years.

This is why Lexus isn't rushing an engine like that to the market. They don't settle for half *** unreliable designs. Knowing Lexus, they will design it until its bulletproof and only then launch it.
Old 09-27-12, 12:01 PM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*sigh*... why doesn't every manufacturer just use a 2JZ for their cars...
Old 10-04-12, 10:32 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I wouldn't touch any of BMW's new turbo models, even leased. BMW has had all kinds of problems for years now with their turbo vehicles. Even with leasing, you'd have the constant hassle of having cars like these in the shop often.

Even if someone gave me a new M5, I would just sell it and buy something else like a Panamera or the coming GS F.