Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Honda CRV Driving Impression & Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 08:11 PM
Beechkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Honda CRV Driving Impression & Opinion

I recently spend a full day driving family members 2012 CRV. With 1,000 miles on the odometer, I spent the previous day doing routine service checks & cleaning (wash/vacuumed) before our departure from So Cal to Solvang (July 2012) and other locations for the day. Total miles traveled was just over 300 in both city/hwy (including very heavy traffic). Our speeds ranged from 5 mph (stop/go) to 80 mph. On board were 4 persons ranging in age from early 20's to early 70's.
My opinion, as a former Honda owner (1500 cvcc civic hatchback) I was anxious to really experience what Honda had accomplished. My opinion .....
As I washed & waxed the paint I observed what was unmistakable Honda, very thin paint...a continued issue that effects longitivity of the quality finish/shine that has plagued Hondas for decades- I guess when you are trying to cut every corner and save every penny, it counts but at the long term expense of the owner that degrades the potential resale/trade-in value. Additionally, the “plastic” front bumper cover (commonly found on all vehicles) was exhibiting checking on the very bottom, a sign/indicator that the primer was improperly applied, and/or did not possess the proper composition to ensure bonding in flexible situations which it must be designed to for.
I also found the fit of the exterior body panels to be poor....while horizontal panel lines ran parallel, the gap was excessive (even larger than the Honda’s 80’s) and alignment (surface to surface) was misaligned by 1/16”…. better than in the 80's & 90's, but given the robotic assembly that is used by every mfg including Honda, these tolerances should be at minimum 1/3 less just to match that of every other mfg in the world. The bodylines (styling) is one of the beholder, but looking at the doors & side panels it was very clear in an attempt to minimize weight, panel strength had been sacrificed...as the large height of the panels would not support their shape with the standard gauge metal found in Hondas’…meaning, the panels will bend, twist & warp as a result of vehicle flex because there is not enough strength….requiring the “unique” placement of body lines, creases, etc to provide that rigidity. On the surface, that sounds good but in long term reality, the shape of the bodylines only provides a temp solution and in 10 years under normal use, the body panels will have many “waves’ as a result.
The interior….standard Honda (seats, upholstery, carpets, mats, etc.), they do the job, nothing great or bad. The dash layout & e-tronics were adequate & functioned as required…I say adequate because there was really nothing outstanding or bad about them. The one exception that I can say is the dash mounted shifter……this thing reminds me of the same automatic transmission shifters used in school buses………both in location & style- you have to be kidding me Honda, this is the best you could come up with?
Drive train- Honda’s engines are unmistakable still excellent, but the automatic transmission was clearly geared for operation that didn’t requiring the ability to pass another slow moving vehicle of provide the immediate torque to accelerate from a dead stop to get out of the way from being rear-ended…an issue for any family vehicle to take seriously into consideration…additionally, the e-control software program for the transmission specifically limited the performance of the engine by not being matched to the engine’s power band. Mfg’s who have weak drive train components will do this as a way to eliminate the force onto these parts…….they can still advertise the engine turns 7,000 RPM & makes 200 hp, but in all reality when you get it on the road, the transmission will not allow the engine to rev above 5200 rpm (lets say) by shifting into the next gear. Torque steer at freeway speeds is present (especially during acceleration onto the freeway)- almost as bad as the front wheel drives of the 70’s…. considering that every mfg both domestic & foreign has resolved this through common design practices, is inconceivable why Honda has not employed the same practices into this that they have in the new civic- I guess saving another 10 cents.
Tires/Suspension- Adequate in terms of general handling, braking, turning, etc. But, especially observable at hwy speeds, the rear suspension does not rack well, the rear suspension constantly follows the “groves” of the road in some cases almost to the point of “disobeying” the commands of driver input into the front suspension (this could easily pose a unsafe handling issue on wet/slippery roads)….again, another definite issue that any family should strongly consider before purchasing.
Gas mileage- yes, all Hondas get good mileage and we ran this one in both Eco & non-eco modes- and averaged 33 mpg. But here is a point of issue- for several hours on our trip we wanted to see just what the max/best mpg we could get (tracking by both the mpg meter & fill up- which BTW the mpg meter is pretty close)- this 3,000 pound vehicle actually only got about 6 mpg better than my 5,000 pound Ford 150 (2006, 5.4 V8, Super crew- 4 door, 2 wheel drive). Thinking back to my Honda which almost always got 35 mpg +, 30 years later Honda should have been able to gain much more mpg’s & power than what they have achieved…..I felt shortchanged.
Unless you have never driven a good car (low or high end), I simply cannot see how anyone could look carefully, test drive this vehicle and believe it is a good vehicle. There are just so many industry standards that Honda has both failed to meet by any mfg comparison and even that aside, taking into consideration of what the Honda’s were of 20/30 years ago and by comparison see what they are producing for the increased price today, is disappointing especially when you look at the return on investment. Yes in the short term your resale is ok, but at 5 years+, the quality of just the aesthetic materials alone will cause a substantial financial loss compared to what the competition is providing today (and has been for the past 5 years). In any economy but especially today with all of the financial struggles that exist, please look very carefully at not just the name on this vehicle, but these issues because it is your very hard earned money that each person relies upon to build/provide for their future- Honda has clearly failed to arise to the occasion in this aspect.
Old 09-13-12, 08:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow, tough customer. New CRV seems to be getting good reviews so far.
Old 09-14-12, 06:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Beechkid
Yes in the short term your resale is ok, but at 5 years+, the quality of just the aesthetic materials alone will cause a substantial financial loss compared to what the competition is providing today (and has been for the past 5 years).
i thought hondas have some of the highest resale values out there.

but good info and analysis, thanks for sharing!
Old 09-14-12, 09:36 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
New CRV seems to be getting good reviews so far.
It is. 3 of my friends have bought the all-new CRV and loved it (esp. their gfs/wives). But different people have different tastes. At least OP stated his reasons for not liking the CRV. Most people don't.
Old 09-14-12, 09:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife's '11's fit and finish in great in and out.The handling is very good for what it is.It's peppy around town and sluggish when accelerating on to a highway and passing ability is awful.MPG's are so-so.15K miles and it's solid as a rock.The wife absolutely loves her CR-V.
I've never read a negative review like that on a '12.I haven't looked at a '12 closely.
First year design problems?

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-14-12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-14-12, 09:51 AM
dc893
Lead Lap

That stupid automatic gear selector on the dash is like that on 90% of new cars sold in Japan. I guess it's supposed to save space in the center of the car?
Old 09-14-12, 10:39 AM
seanlee
Driver

"7,000 RPM & makes 200 hp, but in all reality when you get it on the road, the transmission will not allow the engine to rev above 5200 rpm"
concurred.

but not many cars are welling to go to the red line even in sport mode (i had few that do), let along the eco centered CUV like CR-V. as a matter of fact, i drove plenty (>5) of SUV and i cannot think anything of them are willing to rev above 5200. so that's moot point.

but yes, for citi drive, diesel seem to be a better choice since they produce more HP at lower RPM.
Old 09-14-12, 11:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the review.

Some of your comments reflect the overall cheapening that Honda has done with some of its latest-generation vehicles (the new 2012 Civic, especially, is a disappointment). In some ways, it is really only noticeable on vehicles like the the new Civic and CR-V because these vehicles, in the past, were at or close to the very top of the industry in overall quality for their class. Still, even with the obvious cheapening of the interiors and some body-parts, it's still difficult, IMO, to find more durable/reliable drivetrains and better assembly-precision that what Honda and Acura deliver.
Old 09-14-12, 02:04 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a decent cuv. I recently drove wife's friend's cr-v on a 250 mile trip. It averaged 33mpg on hwy. It's not exciting but it does its job.
Old 09-14-12, 04:09 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol...CR-V

Old 09-14-12, 05:36 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting first post.
Old 09-15-12, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
lol...CR-V

Yes, just what the CR-V's all-weather image needs....riding an inch off the ground, on UHP summer tires.
Old 09-15-12, 12:51 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I disagree on with you on many things. I have 2012 crv and we love it. Exterior fit and finish is fine, infact I think the paint quality is better than my $65k M3!
Old 09-16-12, 06:37 AM
KrazyLexus
Lead Lap

Sounds like a new poster here to start a fight and that was all. Doubt he even drove one.
Old 09-16-12, 07:51 AM
LexFather

Arrow

Originally Posted by KrazyLexus
Sounds like a new poster here to start a fight and that was all. Doubt he even drove one.
That makes no sense. He started a thread on a Honda on a Lexus forum why would he start a fight here unless Honda fanboys got mad. He shared his thoughts on a Lexus forum and the thread has been civil.

Many would agree with one of his points that people buy them even though the competition is obviously superior. More power to them.

Quick Reply: 2012 Honda CRV Driving Impression & Opinion