Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2012 Lexus CT 200h F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 09:40 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Would be nice to see a CT300, but the simple fact that it would cost more and obviously get the same or better mileage as the smaller CT200 would pretty much render it obsolete. Im sure the point of the CT in the US is to have a low cost and unique Lexus in the line up. Now youre talking a 34-35K CT before options (just a guess). Plus, who knows if that 2.5L and battery can fit without expensive modifications.

I personally cant see it happening this generation, but maybe next.
Old 09-14-12, 10:20 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a disappointing way to dilute the value of "F Sport". there's nothing sporty in terms of 'go' about this.
You do realize that in Europe they also have the 316i M-Sport?
Old 09-14-12, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
You do realize that in Europe they also have the 316i M-Sport?
nothing sporty about that either.

just looked it up, 0-60: 10.8 and the comment says it doesn't feel underpowered.

http://www.parts-specs.com/bmw/3-ser...r-sedan-062231
Old 09-14-12, 01:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
I drove the CT200h a few months back. Overall the only thing that left me less than impressed was the powertrain. The ride was good and I liked being able to put it in sport mode. The interior materials were well beyond those of the HS250h as well as A3 and 1-series Coupe. But that engine. It was not fun to rev at all. It sounded too buzzy and overall simply lacked the refinement and power delivery of a car aiming at near luxury status. I thought I read about Lexus filing for the name CT300h which would indicate the CT would be using the hybrid powertrain from the ES and Camry Hybrid. I really hope so because if it was good enough to launch the midsize Camry Hybrid to 60 in 7.2 seconds imagine what it could do for the lighter CT. Also the FE would likely match the figures of the current CT200h since the larger Camry Hybrid has similar mileage figures as the CT200h.
Its a 4 cylinder with CVt, what did you expect? Its going to be buzzy. Most all 4 cylinders are buzzy by design, adding a CVT doesn't help. Its like saying I'm disapointed the Genesis handles like a 10 year old camry. Its not sporty, I should not expect it to be.

A larger engine would be great, hopefully it comes as an option. Lexus has stated they are looking at more CT variants.

Old 09-14-12, 03:28 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its a 4 cylinder with CVt, what did you expect? Its going to be buzzy. Most all 4 cylinders are buzzy by design, adding a CVT doesn't help. Its like saying I'm disapointed the Genesis handles like a 10 year old camry. Its not sporty, I should not expect it to be.

A larger engine would be great, hopefully it comes as an option. Lexus has stated they are looking at more CT variants.
I expected it to sound much more refined than a mainstream compact car that's for sure. There are many 4-cylinders on the market that don't sound buzzy and that's not even including any from a premium automaker. Toyota's 2.5 I4 is a more refined engine than the 1.8 that was the point I was trying to make.

The only complaint I have seen for this car was the powertrain and maybe some numb steering but overall it is a good car with lots of potential.

And I don't really know how the Genesis came into this conversation other than to stir an argument but according to Insideline it did compare favorably to the 550i in the Slalom(64.9 mph vs BMW 65.5 mph) and on the skid-pad(.88g vs BMW .84g)

Last edited by Lexuslvr91; 09-14-12 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-14-12, 03:29 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

More Lexus bashing on a Lexus forum. Has anyone here even driven the CT or F-sport? Nope.

Its a great little hatch in the vein of the Europeans brands people fap off too. Lexus does it and people complain. It gets a legit 40 MPG, its fun and yes the ride is harsh but its not terrible. It is sporty for zipping around the city and town clearly not the highway. Of course its small, its a small hatch. Whats to complain about. Its like complaining a SMART car or A3 is cramped. Buyers know what they are getting into

You all are judging the car not about what its purpose is but against Ferraris.

Where are the REAL enthusiasts?

The bottom line is the car was expected to fail b/c EXPENSIVE HATCHES IN AMERICA HAVE ALL FLOPPED until the CT came. The CT BLEW PAST sales goals and is doing well for the Lexus brand.
I drove the CT200h a few months back. Overall the only thing that left me less than impressed was the powertrain. The ride was good and I liked being able to put it in sport mode. The interior materials were well beyond those of the HS250h as well as A3 and 1-series Coupe. But that engine. It was not fun to rev at all. It sounded too buzzy and overall simply lacked the refinement and power delivery of a car aiming at near luxury status. I thought I read about Lexus filing for the name CT300h which would indicate the CT would be using the hybrid powertrain from the ES and Camry Hybrid. I really hope so because if it was good enough to launch the midsize Camry Hybrid to 60 in 7.2 seconds imagine what it could do for the lighter CT. Also the FE would likely match the figures of the current CT200h since the larger Camry Hybrid has similar mileage figures as the CT200h.

Mike understands the CT which is half the battle. One must understand what it isn't.

Hopefully Lexus does bring out more CT variants. Just like the IS 250 and IS 350 which is separated by 100hp. Lexus used to have the GS 350 and GS 460.

I think a CT 200h and CT 300h will do well. Obviously the CT 200h would sell more compared to the CT 300h but the CT 300h will satisfy the more performance crowd. Just like the IS 250 which sells more than the IS 350. The IS 350 satisfies the more performance crowd and if you want ***** out performance get an IS F...
Old 09-14-12, 03:37 PM
LexFather

I expected it to sound much more refined than a mainstream compact car that's for sure. There are many 4-cylinders on the market that don't sound buzzy and that's not even including any from a premium automaker. Toyota's 2.5 I4 is a more refined engine than the 1.8 that was the point I was trying to make.

The only complaint I have seen for this car was the powertrain and maybe some numb steering but overall it is a good car with lots of potential.
It sounds no worse than a
TSX
A4
A6
etc etc with 4 cylinders. The 2.5 ain't much better its still a 4 cylinder. They are inherently buzzy by DESIGN.

Originally Posted by Trexus
Mike understands the CT which is half the battle. One must understand what it isn't.

Hopefully Lexus does bring out more CT variants. Just like the IS 250 and IS 350 which is separated by 100hp. Lexus used to have the GS 350 and GS 460.

I think a CT 200h and CT 300h will do well. Obviously the CT 200h would sell more compared to the CT 300h but the CT 300h will satisfy the more performance crowd. Just like the IS 250 which sells more than the IS 350. The IS 350 satisfies the more performance crowd and if you want ***** out performance get an IS F...
You would think this place would celebrate the CT! Here is the FIRST luxury hatchback to sell not just well but past expectations in America. It has been well received by the public. It has been a home run for Lexus. It could have had a fate of the HS but it didn't.

I can maybe understand complaining about the 40k price. That is legit to me. Complaining that a 138hp I-4/CVT car is buzzy or a small car is GASP small is beyond me.

Then Lexus answers with F-sport and makes the CT even sportier to handle. Funny but a Mini or Beetle etc don't need speed to be fun, they are great in maneuvering around town.

Its easy to tell who owns cars and who real enthusiasts are.

Old 09-14-12, 03:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys I've got two asks:

1) put the constant negative 'real enthusiast' commentary in the past and move forward respectfully
2) I will also ask folks who have stated a negative opinion about the CT's performance in the past to move on as well and consider your opinion 'noted' without having to repeat it in other threads.

There are a lot of folks who really like the CT and think the F-Sport is fun to toss around and a great looking car. There are also a lot of folks who think a near 10 second 0-60 time doesn't remotely qualify as sporty.

BOTH are very valid perspectives and I'll ask anyone posting to respect others who may not agree with your own personal feelings. Not everyone likes the same thing all the time.