Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 gs f

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 11:45 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo the 5.0, or put an another electric motor good for 150HP.

I am just keep making wishes hoping Lexus will actually visit this forum to listen to us.
Old 09-14-12, 05:26 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Turbo the 5.0, or put an another electric motor good for 150HP.

I am just keep making wishes hoping Lexus will actually visit this forum to listen to us.
That's exactly what I was thinking.. Even though I'd probably be perfectly fine with 461hp it would suck to pull up next to a M5 or E63 and know I'd get spanked. But still.. Turbo.. Supercharge.. Or even hybrid just PLEASE NO CVT!!
Old 09-14-12, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

According to the October issue of Road and Track magazine, Lexus is contemplating bring the GS450H F-Sport to the U.S....but (apparantly) hasn't made a decision.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...s-450h-f-sport
Old 09-14-12, 10:26 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
According to the October issue of Road and Track magazine, Lexus is contemplating bring the GS450H F-Sport to the U.S....but (apparantly) hasn't made a decision.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/dr...s-450h-f-sport
Only if it comes with fogs!!
Old 09-14-12, 11:24 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jtrue28
461 HP.....no thanks. Half-assed attempt.
Truth. Can make more power with a Boss 302 w/ boltons.

Try again Toyota. TT 5.0L V8 with DCT options.
Old 09-14-12, 11:37 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
so, if Lexus had GS-FRSRT with 950hp for 500k, then GS-F with 461hp would be fine?

gotta love magazine racers.
Don't get mad that you got called out. Keep doubling-down though, makes you look real smart.

Originally Posted by natnut
Rominl and 1Sicklex both have good points but I think they're not mutually exclusive :

The new GS-F MAY have slightly less absolute horsepower and torque compared to the M5/AMG/RS6 but due to its lighter, more agile chassis and its superior suspension tuning, its performance parameters will still be superior to the Germans

Specifically better 0-60,0-100,1/4 mile times, better lateral grip, faster slalom and track times.

So those paper warriors can have it both ways : better magazine numbers to lord it over their neighbors who overpaid for the German cars and actual real-life driving enjoyment that is superior to the M's/AMG's/RS's.

And probably not get slapped with a gas guzzler tax due to the superior fuel efficiency of the GS-F.
For this ^^^ to happen, the GS-F would need to weigh around 3200lbs or so. That will NOT happen. May or may not be a better chassis, I haven't seen the data as there's not much to compare to the F-sport (no one else makes a similar model). I have rode in a F-sport and it rides TERRIBLY considering it is supposed to be a GS.

As for real-life driving enjoyment, you just go ahead and try putting that N/A V8 up against a TT V8 and talk about real-life driving LOL.
Old 09-14-12, 11:40 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
I hate to agree with you on this one. Anything less than 500hps isn't going to do it for GS-F in today's market. I am a big Toyota's fan, and I think 4GS is fantastic. However, if you are going to enter the M5's territory, please do it properly. The only way that I can forgive toyota for having anything less than 500hps in GS-F is if they use detune LFA's V10 motor.
Agreed on this point. I'm not impressed with the F-sport as a luxury car. I think it gives up to much in the terms of sport just to mash out good benchmarks on the slalom.

I would LOVE a detuned LF-A motor in an F-sport with better quality suspension and DCT. But I don't think they'd be able to compete with the M5/M6 at all. The gauntlet BMW thrown is just too big.
Old 09-14-12, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Don't get mad that you got called out. Keep doubling-down though, makes you look real smart.
why would I be mad? Because you think all that matters in car is 600hp? lol
Old 09-14-12, 11:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Bean, no need for the personal callouts. Please exit this thread
Old 09-14-12, 05:12 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

But we shouldn't just complaint about the horsepower now, since it's just an estimate.

Nothing is finalized yet so we have to wait and see when the final specs are out.

Only thing is, if it's priced very close to the new LS, it's a tough call between it and the GSF for me.
Old 09-14-12, 07:37 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

For this ^^^ to happen, the GS-F would need to weigh around 3200lbs or so. That will NOT happen. May or may not be a better chassis, I haven't seen the data as there's not much to compare to the F-sport (no one else makes a similar model). I have rode in a F-sport and it rides TERRIBLY considering it is supposed to be a GS.

As for real-life driving enjoyment, you just go ahead and try putting that N/A V8 up against a TT V8 and talk about real-life driving LOL.

Huh? Go to the 4GS forums and ask the GS350 F-Sport owner's about their "terrible" ride. Hint : there is NONE.

I've test driven the GS350 F-Sport several times and each time made sure to test it over bumpy roads. Hell I even went over a road hump at 50km/h and the variable suspension soaked up the hump like it was nothing. (My sales agent was so proud of the variable suspension that he even made that the highlight of the test-drive, asking me to run over the road hump again and again.)

The GS350 F-Sport doesn't just win on slalom numbers. It's won in real-life testing on mountain roads and city driving. Just ask the Motortrend editors .

Don't know what car you rode in but it sure wasn't the same car I drove and the thousands of GS F-Sport owners drive.

PS : It also handled and RODE better than the 335i Sport-Line with M-adaptive suspension that I test-drove back to back with the GS F-Sport

The truth of the matter is that shockingly, Lexus has now surpassed BMW in terms of ride-handling balance for their mainstream sedans. If they can repeat this same feat for their super-sedans (ISF and GSF), BMW has pretty much lost the reason for their existence. They might as well call themselves a second -tier Mercedes/AMG and be done with it.

Last edited by natnut; 09-16-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-15-12, 09:02 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

I agree with those that Lexus really needs to go beyond 500 HP for this car. While it won't matter to many of us, including me, if on paper the HP falls short, it WILL matter to the brand snobs and Lexus doubters if Lexus comes to the gun fight with a really sharp knife.
Old 09-15-12, 09:10 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
In Lexus’ own words, F represents performance – not acceleration. Performance encompasses many areas, including acceleration, which is just one piece of the puzzle.

Wow, 5 pages, so much bull**** to read through, and so many gullible people will believe anything someone types or posts. Just another day in the Club Lexus Car Chat.

I guess I'll judge the GS F if and when it actually comes out. Till then, it's just another to me.
Old 09-15-12, 11:55 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to say this but:
Anything less than 500 horsepower is not worth the effort for a GS-F.

You might as well just call it something else like the GS500 F-sport.

If Lexus wants to compete in the same league as:
-BMW M5
-Audi RS6
-Mercedes Benz E63 AMG
-Jaguar XFR

then it needs minimum 500 hp.

Something like 461 hp is not gonna cut it imho.

Don't get me wrong. The possibly of Lexus releasing a higher power variant of the 4GS (beyond the current GS350 and GS450h versions) is something that I highly appreciate. And I applaud Lexus for that.

However, 460ish hp is not gonna send auto magazines, sons of oil tycoons, drag racers and billionaire auto enthusiasts into nirvana.

Remember, this vehicle segment is about NUMBERS game.

I mean, look back at when the ISF came out. The moment it came out, the car immediately set it sights against the M3 because it had the power and performance figures to back it up.

And wow I think it had slightly more HP and max torque than a the S85 engine in the E90 M3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S65
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UR_engine#2UR-GSE

And that's what I'm talking about: Lexus 'F' division exceeding (or at least matching up with) the competition

Hence, my imho is: Anything less than 500 hp for the upcoming GS-F is not that acceptable to me. For a GS500 F-sport, then yes the 461 hp is more than adequate......BUT not for a GS-F.

A less than 500 hp GS-F only goes against what Lexus has started with their ISF that beats or is at least able to keep up with an E90 M3.

Just my opinion......
Old 09-16-12, 01:06 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the people who say 500 is a must... Lexus needs to give the M5 and E AMG a run for their money

Quick Reply: 2014 gs f