Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mitsubishi Australia CEO: "I don't know why people buy a Mitsubishi"

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 09:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mitsubishi Australia CEO: "I don't know why people buy a Mitsubishi"

Mitsubishi Australia CEO: "I don't know why people buy a Mitsubishi"

While we appreciate candor among executives, it is generally unwise for the CEO of any company to slight their own brand – even if they really dislike their product. Mutsuhiro Oshikiri may not have gotten the memo.

According to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald, the new CEO of Mitsubishi Australia isn't mincing words, saying "the product is too old...the prices are too high." Oshikiri took over the Australian branch of the Japanese automaker just ten weeks ago, and says the brand needs to be updating its product portfolio more quickly.

"I don't know why people buy a Mitsubishi...What is the benefit?...I have to find out."

The comments are more introspective to the brand than outright defamation, but that doesn't mean that Oshikiri's comments aren't making waves.

Struggling Mitsubishi is set to roll out three new models in the Australian market shortly, including a new Outlander and a revival of its low-cost Mirage subcompact (above). The next question Oshikiri may be asking is, "Will it be enough to make the brand relevant?" Only time will tell.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/23/m...buy-a-mitsubi/
Old 08-24-12, 02:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

He does bring up a valid point. Mitsubishi's success from the 90s never did go on into the millennium. It's a shame because they had some awesome products. Instead they let once proud nameplate dwindle in the lime light. The next few years really are make it or break it for them. A new Lancer small sedan and a midsize Galant replacement are needed ASAP to help out the Outlander. They also need to consider the EVO and make waves with it. The company has potential but I don't see them living up to it. There doesn't seem to be much of a plan right now
Old 08-24-12, 04:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

they did just introduce new small car... i dont think Galant replacement is important at all... more SUVs and small cars for them... ASX is doing really well for them, but thats crowded market.
Old 08-25-12, 12:06 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
they did just introduce new small car... i dont think Galant replacement is important at all... more SUVs and small cars for them... ASX is doing really well for them, but thats crowded market.
The ASX is a solid vehicle.

Anyways, Mitsubishi announced that their factory in Illinois will now be producing Outlander Sport vehicles not just for North American markets BUT also for:
-Latin American countries (Central and South America)
-Russia
-Middle East

Said to bring in NOT LESS THAN 200 jobs in American soil. Will benefit economy of Illinois and United States of America.
Old 08-25-12, 12:16 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another stunning example of deceptive journalism by taking a quote out of context.
Old 08-26-12, 02:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Another stunning example of deceptive journalism by taking a quote out of context.
you know you're right... he wants to find out why people buy mitsubishis, he didn't say something like "i don't know anyone would be dumb enough to buy a mitsubishi" which is what the article implies (for obvious web hits).