Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Jaguar Fast-Tracked AWD for Its Cars—And Why It Can’t Do More

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-12, 10:08 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
You should relook at the new GS. It's a completely different car ride-handling and even interior-wise to the older and admittedly inferior 3GS.

There's no way the XF can smack the new GS silly in terms of ride, handling and braking, in fact I'd say the boot is on the other foot.
I'll wait till I drive the new GS to render an opinion but there's no way I'll buy one (I have had a horrible experience w Lexus, they've lost me as a customer for life).

I was pretty pragmatic when I bought my GS and it's been, aside from rather mediocre reliability, exactly what I expected. It's fast, for a V6 it hauls butt but the handling isn't that great, the steering is lifeless and numb with lousy feedback, etc. it's exactly what I knew what I was getting but I got a smoking deal on it and it's AWD.

Where I live we can get snow that's measured in feet, so AWD is a huge help in the winter.

Besides, I really want an XJ, I think I might wait and just get what I really want after all
Old 08-23-12, 10:42 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry to hear you'll never consider another Lexus in future. Your loss I guess. Since the new GS and Lexus in general have really really stepped up to the ride-handling equation, so much so that the GS is arguably the best handling and best balanced sedan in the mid-size luxury segment. I've driven the XF and I admit it''s probably the 2nd/3rd best handling car in this segment after the GS and A6. But the tech,fit and finish of the new GS blows it away -- its like comparing 1st world to 3rd world really.

It does seem odd that you say that your GS is mediocre in reliability when Jaguar is the epitome of British unreliability....
Old 08-24-12, 09:48 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear you'll never consider another Lexus in future. Your loss I guess. Since the new GS and Lexus in general have really really stepped up to the ride-handling equation, so much so that the GS is arguably the best handling and best balanced sedan in the mid-size luxury segment. I've driven the XF and I admit it''s probably the 2nd/3rd best handling car in this segment after the GS and A6. But the tech,fit and finish of the new GS blows it away -- its like comparing 1st world to 3rd world really.

It does seem odd that you say that your GS is mediocre in reliability when Jaguar is the epitome of British unreliability....
Whether you like it or not or whether you agree or disagree, it's still his opinion.

Please learn to respect his opinion.
Old 08-24-12, 05:57 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's see... I can forgive problems with my car. But it's got lots of electrical issues that I *****ed about when it was under warranty, none were fixed and right outside warranty I was told the car needed thousands spent, I was pissed, called Lexus, got blown off.

And nobody can figure out why my passenger mirror has a poltergeist, it changes position while driving.

So why should I give them $50k+ for a new GS?

My XJ8? I drive it like I stole it, it's now over 6 years old with about 81k miles. It's needed 2 sets of tires (I bought it with worn out tires), brake pads, oil changes, a tune up..etc.

Things gone wrong? When I got it the ASL wasn't working, a brake switch was replaced under warranty. I've had a leaking expansion tank and a check engine light due to a loose vacuum line. That's it. Bought it in the spring of 09 with 45k.

The Nav isn't as good as Lexus Gen 4 Nav, the stereo sucks and the Bluetooth is a pain in the butt to pair a phone to. It does get 27 highway with grippy tires and 30 with low rolling resistance tires.