Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan working on high-performance Nismo, RS models

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 09:11 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Nissan working on high-performance Nismo, RS models

Nissan working on high-performance Nismo, RS models

Auto Express has confirmed that Nissan is planning a slew of performance models under the Nismo wing, including a number of high-performance RS variants.

Nissan executive VP of product planning Andy Palmer told the UK magazine that the Nismo brand should be considered "an affordable alternative to Mercedes' AMG division," and continued, "Nismo versions will get a power hike of 15 percent, but the focus will be on distinctive styling." The Nismo Juke will be the first of these models to arrive early next year. It will boast a unique body kit, as well as 18-inch wheels and bright red side view mirrors. Underhood, the 1.6-liter mill will be massaged to produce 215 horsepower – an increase of 28 hp.

According to Palmer, "We'll also tune the suspension and steering, so customers can get more out of the power they have."

Next to get the Nismo treatment is the all-electric Nissan Leaf. Originally shown at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show, it will feature blue accents instead of the red found on other Nismo models. Power will jump to 125 from the standard 110 horsepower.

2013 will also see the introduction of a Nismo variant of the GT-R, as well as the latest version of the Nismo Z, which is already sold here in the U.S.

If you have the insatiable need for speed, Nissan will be unleashing an RS range of models, boasting track-focused performance. Palmer indicated that there would be a Juke RS making 270 horsepower. It was also noted that there would be RS versions of the GT-R and 370Z. We can't wait to see this onslaught of performance that Nissan has in store for the next year or two. We'll keep you updated on how these models progress.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/13/n...smo-rs-models/
Old 08-13-12, 09:19 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't they have a trademarking issue with Audi regarding the RS models?
Old 08-13-12, 09:22 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by rkyat
Wouldn't they have a trademarking issue with Audi regarding the RS models?
I thought that too. I'm surprised there's no mention of SE-R or SE-R Spec V monikers anymore. Guess they died with the last gen Sentra
Old 08-13-12, 09:36 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. SE-R and Spec-V monikers are very "Nissan". i.e Sentra, Altima, Skyline, etc.
Old 08-14-12, 08:02 AM
LexFather

^^^ Agreed......

Old 08-14-12, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Default Hyundai pondering creation of SR performance brand for Australia?

Not related to Nissan, but I thought the mention of SR was such a coinicinedence. Wonder why all these automakers are obsessed with SR, RS, S (other than standing for sport or race)

Hyundai pondering creation of SR performance brand for Australia?

Hyundai won't confirm it's plans to introduce an SR performance badge to Australia, but GoAuto.com.au says it's coming.

The Veloster SR Turbo is on its way and, now, there's speculation more performance-oriented cars could make their way Down Under. GoAuto says a performance version of i30 hatch could be announced as soon as October, when additional SR concept vehicles are shown.

Of course, all of this talk of souped-up front-wheel-drive small cars has us thinking selfishly thinking about U.S. comparos between an Elantra SR, a MazdaSpeed3, a Volkswagen GTI and Honda Civic Si.

However, Hyundai remains tight lipped on the possibility. When we contacted them, Hyundai wouldn't officially comment on anything, saying that there's already been speculation on an R-Spec version of the Veloster Turbo coming to America.

"You do know how we like to 'never say never' at Hyundai," one official said in an email. He was likely smiling when he said it.

Our guess is that Hyundai will continue to push select performance models in the future, whether they're called SR, RS, or R-Spec doesn't really matter.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/14/h...for-australia/
Old 08-14-12, 02:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I hope the stuff works better than the NISMO stuff did. I have seen three different comparisons where a magazine compared a NISMO vehicle to a bone stock standard model and in EVERY comparison the standard performed better in ever category