Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln MKT Town Car to get 2.0-liter EcoBoost

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 02:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Lincoln MKT Town Car to get 2.0-liter EcoBoost

Lincoln MKT Town Car to get 2.0-liter EcoBoost

Livery operators can thank Ford for shaving a few extra bucks from their fuel budgets, courtesy of a new four-cylinder engine option for the Lincoln MKT Town Car. Lincoln is offering its professional version of the MKT, the replacement for the venerable Town Car, with a 2.0-liter EcoBoost in front-drive configuration for 2013, though the powertrain won't be available to the general public.

The four-cylinder in the MKT Town Car makes 235 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque and garners an EPA rating of 20 miles per gallon city, 28 on the highway, and 23 combined. That's considerably better than the 17/24/19 rating of the other option, a 3.7-liter V6 making 300 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque. The bigger engine's inferior fuel economy isn't just a matter of its larger displacement, however, as it is only offered in all-wheel-drive guise.

We imagine livery operators in warm weather states would just as soon do without the added weight and mechanical complexity, especially if it means getting an extra four miles out of every gallon of gas. They'll be saving some dollars up front, as well, with the base price of the 2.0-liter EcoBoost MKT Town Car coming in at $49,845, some $1,100 less than the V6 model.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/01/l...iter-ecoboost/
Old 08-07-12, 09:30 PM
Hoovey689

Nice choice for a base engine. now about that design.. hah
Old 08-07-12, 10:47 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does that mean Ford will offer a Flex Crown Vic version
Old 08-09-12, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

The grille, fortunately (IMO), looks a little less in-your-face than the previous MKT model. I'm not sure that a luxury-SUV is going to be a suitable replacement for the venerable Town Car, especially with the limo-firms and funeral-homes that used to be big Town Car customers (and, after the 4.6L V8, just wait till they see a puny 2.0 four under the hood). But, to be fair, the old RWD Town Car could be a real handful on slippery roads, and lacked an AWD option. This new model, of course, addresses that shortcoming. And the Ecoboost 2.0, surprisingly, just may (?) equal the normally-aspirated 4.6L's power...but it will run in a much more-stressed manner, of course, compared to a big relaxed V8.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-09-12 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-09-12, 11:16 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The grille, fortunately (IMO), looks a little less in-your-face than the previous MKT model. I'm not sure that a luxury-SUV is going to be a suitable replacement for the venerable Town Car, especially with the limo-firms and funeral-homes that used to be big Town Car customers (and, after the 4.6L V8, just wait till they see a puny 2.0 four under the hood). But, to be fair, the old RWD Town Car could be a real handful on slippery roads, and lacked an AWD option. This new model, of course, addresses that shortcoming. And the Ecoboost 2.0, surprisingly, just may (?) equal the normally-aspirated 4.6L's power...but it will run in a much more-stressed manner, of course, compared to a big relaxed V8.
True these two power plants are close in power, but most certainly 8 is always smoother than 4
Old 08-10-12, 03:56 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As livery car not a bad option but the Stretch Limo and Hearse need big engines

Last edited by <VENOM>; 08-10-12 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-10-12, 07:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,387 Posts

great for the hearse business.
Old 08-10-12, 11:42 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great for the hearse business.
here ya go!

Old 08-11-12, 04:09 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
True these two power plants are close in power, but most certainly 8 is always smoother than 4
I've got a Town Car this week (rental, absolutely nothing else available in the Premium or Luxury categories), and I'm going to have to disagree. The 4.6L makes plenty of noise without making a whole lot of go--even in normal, sedate, driving. And it's paired with an absolutely horrific 4 speed automatic that makes frequent jerky shifts that are uncomfortable even at 1/8th throttle. This isn't a sample defect--I've had the same experience in two previous Grand Marquis rentals.

An I-4 turbo with a decent 6 speed would be a FAR smoother overall drive than the recently-departed model. If they put in an 8-speed like ZF's superb unit that BMW is using in the new 3 series, there'd be no contest whatsoever.
Old 08-11-12, 08:53 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by geko29
I've got a Town Car this week (rental, absolutely nothing else available in the Premium or Luxury categories), and I'm going to have to disagree. The 4.6L makes plenty of noise without making a whole lot of go--even in normal, sedate, driving. And it's paired with an absolutely horrific 4 speed automatic that makes frequent jerky shifts that are uncomfortable even at 1/8th throttle. This isn't a sample defect--I've had the same experience in two previous Grand Marquis rentals.

An I-4 turbo with a decent 6 speed would be a FAR smoother overall drive than the recently-departed model. If they put in an 8-speed like ZF's superb unit that BMW is using in the new 3 series, there'd be no contest whatsoever.
you just answered your own question then, the transmission makes the difference. but again 8 is smoother than 4
Old 08-13-12, 10:20 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
you just answered your own question then, the transmission makes the difference. but again 8 is smoother than 4
So what you're saying is people won't accept a 4 cylinder in the new car because the previous pile of crap V8 model might have been smoother if it had a decent transmission (but no one knows for sure, because such a unicorn didn't exist)? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by geko29; 08-13-12 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 06:01 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I've got a rental Ford Escape full-tilt loaded this week, SEL model with leather and the 2.0L EcoBoost engine. Very nice engine, perfectly well suited for this sort of vehicle and application. I've driven the new F30 BMW 328i with their own 2.0L turbo engine and it's tough to tell the difference between them. The BMW sounds maybe a little sportier and maybe has a little less turbo lag but that's it. Both are smooth and refined.

This engine doesn't make a whole lot less torque than the 4.6L SOHC V8 and is also gonna be a ton lighter too. With a 6-speed automatic it's a non-issue IMHO. Livery cars and hearsts don't need a lot of power anyways. You think someone driving a hearst is gonna be playing stoplight grand prix? LOL Can just put in a shorter final drive for the heavier applications.
Old 08-13-12, 06:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

I think we are all getting way ahead of ourselves here. This vehicle has yet to even catch on in the livery business and here we are discussing what engine is appropriate? Hold the horses (pun intended). I'll say this.... I think this thing is way too tall and alienating (another intended pun) to have the exclusive and illusive limo panache that past Town Cars and Cadillacs have enjoyed. It's borderline SUV (with a freakin ugly snoot) which hasn't been the type of vehicle to catch on in this business (Hummers excluded, but limited numbers). When I start seeing these monstrosities lined up outside the clubs in Hollywood, then we'll talk about engines. Until then, it's a waste of time.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 08-13-12 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 07:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

aside, SteVTEC - what co. rented a new loaded Escape? (also, it's hearse, not hearst - the latter is a publishing company, lol)
Old 08-13-12, 07:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

help me out here, what the heck is the 'livery business'? limos/taxis?

Quick Reply: Lincoln MKT Town Car to get 2.0-liter EcoBoost