Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford C-Max Energi will have 20-mile electric range, get 95 MPGe

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-12, 04:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford C-Max Energi will have 20-mile electric range, get 95 MPGe

Ford C-Max Energi will have 20-mile electric range, get 95 MPGe

Ford's marketing strategy for its plug-in vehicles is coming into Focus (pun intended): compare, compare, compare.

When announcing the Focus Electric's 105 miles per gallon equivalent, for example, Ford made sure to note that it beats the "Nissan Leaf by 6 MPGe while also offering more motor power, passenger room and standard features. Customers can make more use of this efficiency with Ford's faster charging technology that can recharge Focus Electric in about half the time of Nissan Leaf." With the C-Max Hybrid, Ford said it would get better mileage than the Toyota Prius V. Today, Ford is revealing more details about the C-Max Energi Plug-In Hybrid, and the press release says it offers "nearly double electric-only range of Prius."

What does that mean, aside from some numerical chest puffery? Ford says the electric range of the Energi PHEV will be "more than 20 miles" and that the car's full-tank-of-gas-plus-electricity range is 550 miles. On top of that, the C-Max Energi is expected to get 95 MPGe (Ford expects its Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid to get 100 MPGe). It may not be saying much, but Ford also says that the Energi has a "maximum electric-only speed projected to top that of Prius plug-in." The C-Max Hybrid will be available this fall with a base price of $25,995, including destination and delivery.

Oh, by the way, Ford would like you to know that that price is "$1,300 lower than Toyota Prius V."

Gallery:
http://green.autoblog.com/photos/201...photo-5164885/

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/22/f...e-get-95-mpge/
Old 07-22-12, 05:13 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford says the electric range of the Energi PHEV will be "more than 20 miles" and that the car's full-tank-of-gas-plus-electricity range is 550 miles. On top of that, the C-Max Energi is expected to get 95 MPGe
So they got an electric engine that can only go 20 miles but some how it has a 95 MPGe range...where did the other 75 miels come from? Oh right so the gas engine pick up all the slack by doing 530 miles while the electric does 20 miles.

In another words I got this AA battery that can power my entire house for a week! **** As long as I got this gas powered generator attached to it. Which I will just ignore and pretend I am green. ****

Hate these dumb marketing that treat us like idiots who don't have a clue.
Old 07-22-12, 06:10 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormwind
So they got an electric engine that can only go 20 miles but some how it has a 95 MPGe range...where did the other 75 miels come from? Oh right so the gas engine pick up all the slack by doing 530 miles while the electric does 20 miles.

In another words I got this AA battery that can power my entire house for a week! **** As long as I got this gas powered generator attached to it. Which I will just ignore and pretend I am green. ****

Hate these dumb marketing that treat us like idiots who don't have a clue.
The 95 MPGe refers to its electric efficiency, not range. So through some fancy and convoluted metrics they have basically said that while the car is operating in it's 20 mile electric range it is getting the electric equivalent of 95 MPG. So the 95 here is much like fuel economy, not cruising range.
Old 07-24-12, 08:46 AM
Hoovey689

Default Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid priced at $29,995 after tax credit

Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid priced at $29,995 after tax credit

The U.S. federal tax credit for plug-in vehicles maxes out at $7,500 for cars with batteries that are 16 kWh or larger. The Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid doesn't have that big of a pack, so the most the feds will grant you for buying one is $3,750. Still, the Energi's just-announced price of $33,745 is competitive in the plug-in space, since most people will end up paying $29,995.

Ford calls the Energi "America's most affordable plug-in hybrid," but that would seem to be just barely the case. The $33,745 price includes destination fees. The Toyota Prius Plug-In, with those fees, is priced at $32,760, and it qualifies for $2,500 in federal tax credits, so it comes to $30,260 in the end. That's just $265 more than the Energi. To make another comparison, the regular hybrid C-Max will cost $25,995, including destination. Both of these Ford vehicles will be available later this year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/24/f...5-or-29-995-a/
Old 08-07-12, 04:46 PM
Hoovey689

Ford C-Max Hybrid officially gets 47 mpg across the board; Energi hits 85 mph in EV mode

Two new announcements about Ford and its upcoming C-Max line of vehicles arrived today, emphasizing the vehicles' efficiency and electric performance.

For the C-Max Hybrid, the previously predicted miles per gallon rating of 47 mpg is now official, per the EPA, and will apply across the board. That means city, highway and combined mileage ratings are all 47. As anyone Ford can reach with a PR blast knows, this beats at least one of the mpg numbers for the Toyota Prius V by seven mpg. The world's most popular hybrid lineup, in V guise, gets 44 mpg in the city, 40 on the highway and 42 combined. The standard Prius Liftback version, of course, gets 51 city, 48 highway and 50 combined.

More interesting, perhaps, is the news that the plug-in Energi model will be able to go up to 85 miles per hour in all-electric mode. Once again, Ford is hammering the Prius comparison, saying that speed is "more than 20 mph higher than Toyota Prius plug-in." The C-Max Hybrid can go up to 62 miles an hour in EV mode.

To engage EV mode in the C-Max Energi, Ford uses a "unique EV mode button allows customers to deliver electric power on-demand." We're not sure what makes it unique (other plug-ins have powertrain mode selector buttons), but it does have three modes: EV Now (where the car is only moved by battery power, as long as it's available), EV Auto (normal operation, with both battery and gas engine used for propulsion) or EV Later, a "battery-saving mode that reserves the pack power for later use." (Think of the Chevrolet Volt mountain mode.) The Energi goes on sale in limited areas this fall and nationwide in early 2013.

Oh, Ford also says, "With a fully charged battery, C-MAX Energi is rated at 195 horsepower, versus 188 horsepower for Toyota Prius." It's pretty clear which competitors Ford is going after here, isn't it?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/07/f...e-board-energ/
Old 08-07-12, 09:23 PM
Hoovey689

The C-Max hybrid sounds like a winner to me!