Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Watchdog Files Lawsuit Against Hyundai for Misleading Consumers 40 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 08:12 AM
LexFather

Default Consumer Watchdog Files Lawsuit Against Hyundai for Misleading Consumers 40 MPG

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/07...t-against.html

Hyundai is being sued in a Sacramento Superior Court for misleading consumers about the gas mileage of its 2011 and 2012 Elantra compact model.
This is the next chapter of a story that began in December of 2011 when the non-profit organization Consumer Watchdog slammed Hyundai for misleading consumers in ads for the new Elantra.

The lawsuit, which has been filed by Consumer Watchdog and the Washington, DC, law firm, Cuneo Gilbert & LaDuca, LLP, alleges that Hyundai touted "The 40 Mile Per Gallon Elantra" in high-impact television, Internet, and print advertisements, without disclosing that it was referring to highway and not combined fuel economy numbers.

According to EPA estimates, the 2012/2012 Hyundai Elantra sedan returns 29mpg (8.1lt/100km) in the city, 40mpg (5.9lt/100km) on the highway and 33mpg (7.1lt/100km) combined.

"The omitted disclosures would have informed consumers that the car does not attain 40 MPG under most driving conditions," said Consumers Watchdog in a prepared statement.

"The illegal advertisements caused tens of thousands of California drivers to purchase or lease 2011 and 2012 Elantras and consequently incur unexpected fuel costs," the non-profit organization added.

The Consumers Watchdog release on the issue also includes a statement from Louis Bird of Sacramento, California, a 2011 Elantra owner who is representing other consumers in the class-action lawsuit.

"I feel like Hyundai took advantage of me. Hyundai's advertisements about the '40 MPG' gas mileage of the Elantra instantly caught my attention," said Bird.

"I bought the car thinking I would be seeing major savings at the pump and getting over 500 miles per tank, but Hyundai fooled me. I have not saved any money on gas and have been driving the Elantra for well over a year now. It is frustrating and disappointing. I never would have bought the Elantra in the first place if I hadn't seen Hyundai's ads boasting about gas mileage," he added.

Hyundai of America is expected to release an official statement on the matter later in the day.

Old 07-10-12, 08:25 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing this proves is that Louis Bird is an idiot. Is anybody really that stupid? They're simply trying to extort money from Hyundai.
Old 07-10-12, 08:28 AM
Stormwind
Racer

All Hyundai has to do is ask the blood sucking leech, the laywer, and the moron that is sitting on the stand this: "Have you read the window sticker that is on every car sold that clearly shows both the high way/city milage"? Case dismissed.
Old 07-10-12, 08:39 AM
LexFather

Yeah no matter how one might feel misled through advertising, even with a lying salesman there is big bold print on the car stating
City
Highway

So one should be crystal clear. Also maybe a first time buyer can be fooled but someone that has bought cars before? Really? lol

On the other hand these ads (not just Hyundai) keep screaming 40 MPG and its not average, its highway. They don't mention highway except in small print. Conversely a CT or Fusion hybrid is a legitimate 40 MPG car, AVERAGE. We also recently had a conversation recently about the different sizes of these carmakers. Hyundai can say it is the most fuel efficient automaker but they don't make trucks and have one V-8 car. Not really a level playing field to make that claim.

Non-enthusiasts

Last edited by LexFather; 07-10-12 at 08:43 AM.

Old 07-10-12, 08:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
All Hyundai has to do is ask the blood sucking leech, the laywer, and the moron that is sitting on the stand this: "Have you read the window sticker that is on every car sold that clearly shows both the high way/city milage"? Case dismissed.
The problem is that, for all car companies, most wave their highway MPG ratings in TV commercials. They never advertise combined MPG.

Bombard people with one hundred commercials, and only one glance at a window sticker, and there is a disparity.
Old 07-10-12, 09:26 AM
LEXRX04
Driver

I feel the same way, I think that ,yes the person should have done their homework before going out and buying one on the spot. Looking at the sticker, reading reviews etc.

However I also agree that if you keep showing ads for 40mpg....with a small print stating other....we all know unless you have a dvr or tivo the small print is on and off the screen very quickly. I do believe that they should advertise is as combined mpg other than what you "could" get.
Old 07-10-12, 10:00 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Hyundai can say it is the most fuel efficient automaker but they don't make trucks and have one V-8 car.
Brain fart? Correct they don't have "one" V-8 car, they have two! Genesis 4.6L V8 and 5.0R, and the Equus too. Correct on the no trucks part though.
Old 07-10-12, 10:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Brain fart? Correct they don't have "one" V-8 car, they have two! Genesis 4.6L V8 and 5.0R, and the Equus too. Correct on the no trucks part though.
yep I was just going to post....
Old 07-10-12, 10:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

The only thing this proves is that Louis Bird is an idiot. Is anybody really that stupid? They're simply trying to extort money from Hyundai.
oh, i lol'ed. thank you.

Originally Posted by Stormwind
i hope... but often these things are settled to minimize bad p.r. and further lawyer/court costs. louis bird will get $5 for gas, and the lawyers will get $5 million.
Old 07-10-12, 10:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Hyundai can say it is the most fuel efficient automaker but they don't make trucks and have one V-8 car. Not really a level playing field to make that claim.
you bring this up often, but you're focused on a definition that works for you. toyota offers one 'full size' truck, while gm and ford provide several (check out an f-450!). toyota had NO sports cars for years until the scion fr-s. gm has corvette, camaro, etc. ford has mustang, had GT, etc.

by simply comparing range of models, toyota is NOT on a level playing field with gm and ford.

sadly you'll provide almost any contorted logic to put down hyundai and even more vigorously honda, while the reality is they and toyota and others are all most definitely big wide-ranging automakers.
Old 07-10-12, 10:47 AM
LexFather

Yes it was

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you bring this up often, but you're focused on a definition that works for you. toyota offers one 'full size' truck, while gm and ford provide several (check out an f-450!). toyota had NO sports cars for years until the scion fr-s. gm has corvette, camaro, etc. ford has mustang, had GT, etc.

by simply comparing range of models, toyota is NOT on a level playing field with gm and ford.

sadly you'll provide almost any contorted logic to put down hyundai and even more vigorously honda, while the reality is they and toyota and others are all most definitely big wide-ranging automakers.
Hmmmm.....actually my argument stated both sides, one side saying this lawsuit is garbage and then my points on how people could feel being misled. You decide to pick apart and debate the latter side.

Then you go on your usual anti-Toyota tirade which has nothing to do with what I said. Then you make another attack on me b/c of some of my views which don't align with yours regarding your precious Honda which has nothing to do with anything, AGAIN in this thread. This is a habit now it seems and clearly talks in the mod forum are not helping.

GM/Ford/Toyota are clearly a more level playing field than Hyundai. Your attempt to save Hyundai's face for whatever reason has little merit Why don't you join meowcat and post some pics of ships and trucks not sold at dealerships too

My apologies for seeing two sides to this lawsuit.

Originally Posted by meowCat
So that makes three.

what. Hyundai makes trucks...... ranging anything from a mini pickup to large trucks.

I'm well aware of Hyundai's truck and ship making abilities We are talking about cars you can buy at a dealer. One shouldn't get so defensive to where they go completely off the meter to defend.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-10-12 at 11:01 AM.

Old 07-10-12, 11:05 AM
LexFather

I give up on Car Chat. Its beyond repair. Enjoy lol

Old 07-10-12, 11:09 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

the things people do to get money..
Old 07-10-12, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks like classic anti-Hyundai extortion to me. Talk about a snow job.

Old 07-10-12, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I give up on Car Chat. Its beyond repair. Enjoy lol
Come on, Mike. A little variety is what makes CAR CHAT what it is. Heaven help us if we end up like the car mags.

Quick Reply: Consumer Watchdog Files Lawsuit Against Hyundai for Misleading Consumers 40 MPG