Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why are black cars currently so popular?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF

we get the metallic black whenever possible

I feel that it really hides the scratches much better than a flat black.
Agreed. Jet-black, without the metallic particles, is just like a mirror....assuming there's no orange-peel.
Old 06-25-12, 06:46 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i said i would never own another dark car...... had a white one before the obsidian. i hand wash her myself twice a week, like the white one. and with the protection i have on her i'm about to put some aquartz or opti-coat on her. nothing beats that mirror like shine.
Old 06-25-12, 07:10 PM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sinister...black....droooool

This thread needs more pics

ill add one more

Old 06-25-12, 07:20 PM
Heckler
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically I don't have a black car but it is about as close as you can get. The reason I love the dark color the best is the reflection you can get out of it. White cars are bright but they don't mirror like a black car.
Old 06-25-12, 07:23 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I never planned on owning a black car for all the obvious reasons, but when buying used you sometimes don't have much of a choice. I had wanted a white sports car, but I ended up with a black one.

I have come to appreciate black cars...it has a somewhat striking but still restrained presence without the "look at me" factor that red and yellow sports cars possess. When kept clean, a nice black car definitely gets looks.

I wash my car every 1-2 weeks in fair weather. In rainy seasons I try not to care as much, every 2-3 weeks. It gets a proper polish/wax job every year at the end of the rain season.
Old 06-25-12, 07:42 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Not mine, but one I detailed this week. Can't imagine it in white.

Old 06-25-12, 07:54 PM
Jb2009
Driver School Candidate

When properly cleaned, it is amazing. Just had my car detailed from the guys at Autolavish. It turns out the IsF has a black tinted clear coat?!!!? Pics below
Attached Thumbnails Why are black cars currently so popular?-img_0809.jpg   Why are black cars currently so popular?-img_0811.jpg   Why are black cars currently so popular?-img_0810.jpg   Why are black cars currently so popular?-img_0826.jpg  
Old 06-25-12, 11:54 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grabber2
My two previous RSX & G35x are black....I love black car with black exterior & interior. Although its not easy to keep it "shine & clean" for long, the cleaning process is actual easier. It takes not no time to clean them. Especially the black interior, just wipe & apply some leather conditioner or shine & it will look new. My sc's ecru interior is a real pita to clean now.

A "blackout" car looks cool & easy to accomplish by tint & power coating the wheel.
Another reason is resale. Its so easy to sell a black then another color. Almost all age tend to accept a black car.
Couldn't have said it better, a black on black car exudes class and status....however you do have to keep it clean, as you mention...I follow the same cleaning method.....
Old 06-26-12, 03:48 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I like color's that pop, to me, black, silver and white are kind of boring. Even the Gray on my civic was nice, but it got old after awhile. I LOVE my Deep Water Blue Pearl on the Ram and wont hesitate to buy another vehicle this color. Black is too hard to maintain, white is too hard to clean and silver is just...meh. Greens, reds, oranges, blues, purples, and other fun color's are what I am after.
Old 06-26-12, 03:58 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I like color's that pop, to me, black, silver and white are kind of boring. Even the Gray on my civic was nice, but it got old after awhile. I LOVE my Deep Water Blue Pearl on the Ram and wont hesitate to buy another vehicle this color. Black is too hard to maintain, white is too hard to clean and silver is just...meh. Greens, reds, oranges, blues, purples, and other fun color's are what I am after.
I couldn't have put that any better..

Black is ok if you don't have to clean it..

I think white and silver is dependent on certain body styles that make them come out.. Otherwise i'm in complete agreement on your statement..
Old 06-26-12, 06:06 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I think black hides the subtle details of a design. This is either a bad or good thing depending on the vehicle in question.
Old 06-26-12, 07:12 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
I think black hides the subtle details of a design. This is either a bad or good thing depending on the vehicle in question.

Old 06-26-12, 07:26 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKLEX350
I've owned four black cars and one white. The last three cars including my current IS350 was supposed to be white but black were more available. Yes, as everyone said, pain in the a** to take care of, everything shows up on it, bird specifically aims for it. But when u shine it up, nothing is like black. I clean mine religiously but that's only cuz I'm crazy and obsessed.
Your bird statement reminded me of an article I saw yesterday about birds' color preference. Seems red is their preferred color:

If birds poop on your shiny red car more than on those of your neighbors, don't take it personally: it's just the color.

Bright red cars attract more bird droppings than any others, according to research from British automotive supplier Halfords.

Its researchers checked out 1,140 cars in Brighton, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester and Bristol over two consecutive days, and found that green cars came off best, followed by silver. White vehicles fared better than black.

Eighteen percent of red cars were marked with droppings, compared with 14 percent for blue, 11 for black, seven percent for white, three percent for grey or silver and just one percent for green.

Drivers were also asked how quickly they removed droppings from their cars. Only 17 percent said they wiped off deposits immediately when they saw them, and 20 per cent said they took action 'within a couple of days' - but 55 per cent waited until the next car wash. The remaining eight percent never washed their cars or left it to others to organise.

Bird droppings can be an expensive problem, says Halfords car cleaning expert David Howells, costing British motorists £57 million a year in unnecessary repairs.

"This research does have a serious side because the problem annoys drivers, causes damaged paintwork and affects the value of vehicles," he says.

"To protect your body work from damage, droppings should be carefully cleaned off as soon as possible."

Car polish company Autoglym says the damage to vehicle paintwork comes not from the acid or alkali in bird faeces, but from the paint lacquer softening and expanding to form an uneven mould around the dropping and producing a dull patch. The grainy poop of seed eating birds produces the most blemishes, so that pigeons are worse than seagulls.

Of course, the big question is why birds show this preference - igt's unlikely, after all, to be aesthetic. Some drivers believe it's a question of how shiny the car is, and how well the bird can see its reflection; others that red might signal danger.

The British Trust for Ornithology says it doesn't have an explanation.

"We do know that birds can be attracted to certain colours during display but it (droppings on cars) is probably more to do with where you park," says a spokesperson.

"If yIf birds poop on your shiny red car more than on those of your neighbors, don't take it personally: it's just the color.

Bright red cars attract more bird droppings than any others, according to research from British automotive supplier Halfords.

Its researchers checked out 1,140 cars in Brighton, Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester and Bristol over two consecutive days, and found that green cars came off best, followed by silver. White vehicles fared better than black.

Eighteen percent of red cars were marked with droppings, compared with 14 percent for blue, 11 for black, seven percent for white, three percent for grey or silver and just one percent for green.

Drivers were also asked how quickly they removed droppings from their cars. Only 17 percent said they wiped off deposits immediately when they saw them, and 20 per cent said they took action 'within a couple of days' - but 55 per cent waited until the next car wash. The remaining eight percent never washed their cars or left it to others to organise.

Bird droppings can be an expensive problem, says Halfords car cleaning expert David Howells, costing British motorists £57 million a year in unnecessary repairs.

"This research does have a serious side because the problem annoys drivers, causes damaged paintwork and affects the value of vehicles," he says.

"To protect your body work from damage, droppings should be carefully cleaned off as soon as possible."

Car polish company Autoglym says the damage to vehicle paintwork comes not from the acid or alkali in bird faeces, but from the paint lacquer softening and expanding to form an uneven mould around the dropping and producing a dull patch. The grainy poop of seed eating birds produces the most blemishes, so that pigeons are worse than seagulls.

Of course, the big question is why birds show this preference - igt's unlikely, after all, to be aesthetic. Some drivers believe it's a question of how shiny the car is, and how well the bird can see its reflection; others that red might signal danger.

"We do know that birds can be attracted to certain colours during display but it (droppings on cars) is probably more to do with where you park," says a spokesperson.

"If yIf birds poop on your shiny red car more than on those of your neighbors, don't take it personally: it's just the color.

"If you park where birds roost then you are going to get more droppings on your vehicle."
Old 06-26-12, 09:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sure it's harder to maintain, but sure is sexy!

Old 06-26-12, 11:50 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sure it's harder to maintain, but sure is sexy!

I say the same thing about my wife.

Quick Reply: Why are black cars currently so popular?