Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

INTERVIEW: Yoshihiko Kanamori, Lexus GS chief engineer, Lexus Group

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 09:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Surprised it hasn't been discussed directly at all here but does this article lessen some of the belief that a high hp V8 BMW killing (or at least equal) GS-F is coming down the pipeline in the near future?

Or are people reading the 'laughs and smiles' responses to mean 400hp?
well he is saying that he is staying as head engineer as there is more work to be done, and to me that means substantial work, like new engines.
Old 06-19-12, 10:23 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well he is saying that he is staying as head engineer as there is more work to be done, and to me that means substantial work, like new engines.
Actually he said the work was already done. The top model engine was in place and he's staying to work on the lower displacement engine. I don't see much room in between his direct response to believe anything different.

So, the answer is that we are environmentally conscious and we wanted a hybrid as the top model.

Maybe they will change the specs of one engine. Nothing about bringing a new one on (or back). Interviewer asked the appropriate follow up and got the subsequent response

GB: What project will you move on to next?

YK: No, I am not leaving the GS. I will stay as chief engineer because I must specify and evaluate the next model year changes. If there is a specification change, maybe the performance of one engine, then I am responsible for that. My job continues.

GB: That suggests there will be another engine to come for the GS.

YK: Yes, we have a lower displacement hybrid. It will come to European markets in the second half of 2013.
then later he says the new segment for Lexus = compact SUV.

The problem for me is that he's the chief engineer and only two of his responses were personal and not 'corporate speak'. He took credit for keeping the wheelbase the same and keeping the same supplier. Everything else was 'the company'.

There is no response that indicates he has ever driven the GS (he went to the test drive launch) or has any particular love for the GS or its history. Look at the question for 'future GS models" and his response. Outside of the 2013 lower displacement, there is nothing promised at all. He's not designing or hinting at anything coming and has to wait for his boss to let him know what's going on.

I like the response he gave about Lexus employees not going back to Toyota in order to keep the exclusivity. The follow up question to that repsonse that I would have liked to have seen (because of his background in coming from Toyota) is:

"Is the exclusivity what made you make the jump from Toyota? Why the GS model specifically?"
Old 06-20-12, 12:53 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Are you seriously suggesting the Chief Engineer for the GS never test drove the car? Is that how the 4GS has now leapfrogged the Germans in ride-handling balance and is arguably the best handling mainstream sports sedan in the market? By sheer dumb luck??

Besides, I take his response that there would be no V8 for GS line to mean no V8 for the MAINSTREAM GS models. A GS-F, if it came out doesn't qualify as a mainstream model and hence his answer in this interview doesn't preclude the possibility of a GS-F or a V8.

I'm thinking your interpretations on the interview seem a mite too gloom-and-doom.....
Old 06-20-12, 02:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Actually he said the work was already done. The top model engine was in place and he's staying to work on the lower displacement engine. I don't see much room in between his direct response to believe anything different.

Maybe they will change the specs of one engine. Nothing about bringing a new one on (or back). Interviewer asked the appropriate follow up and got the subsequent response

then later he says the new segment for Lexus = compact SUV.

The problem for me is that he's the chief engineer and only two of his responses were personal and not 'corporate speak'. He took credit for keeping the wheelbase the same and keeping the same supplier. Everything else was 'the company'.

There is no response that indicates he has ever driven the GS (he went to the test drive launch) or has any particular love for the GS or its history. Look at the question for 'future GS models" and his response. Outside of the 2013 lower displacement, there is nothing promised at all. He's not designing or hinting at anything coming and has to wait for his boss to let him know what's going on.

I like the response he gave about Lexus employees not going back to Toyota in order to keep the exclusivity. The follow up question to that repsonse that I would have liked to have seen (because of his background in coming from Toyota) is:

"Is the exclusivity what made you make the jump from Toyota? Why the GS model specifically?"
uh, what? You are reading everything wrong + you seem not to understand Japanese (corporate) culture.
Old 06-20-12, 06:34 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

You guys can take what you like from the article as well can I, that's one of the joys of reading (in between the lines or otherwise).

I didn't suggest anything other than what I said Natnut, your one sentence about a car you dont own is more passionate than any response he gave overall. That was my one and only point and asked if anyone lessened their expectation of a possible GS-F because of the interview. Some did, some didn't. Again, the joys of reading.
Old 06-26-12, 04:17 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Oh yeah, came across this article. Looks like Mr Kanamori DID actually drive the car he helped create :

http://www.lexus-global.com/models/G...sTravelStories

As a side point, the link I provided also shows the care and level of thought involved in developing the 4th Gen GS. Lexus has really done the hard yards in developing a world class chassis. Now if only they would hurry up and unveil the new engine/drivetrain I'm sure they have cooking somewhere.....

Last edited by natnut; 06-26-12 at 04:22 AM.
Old 06-26-12, 06:39 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah no V-8 is whack....to talk about the environment and the same damn company offers a 5.0 V-8 in the IS F, LS 600h L and a V-10 in the LFA is quite ridiculous. I could understand Lexus didn't have or offer one V-8. Hell the GX and LX have them too.

Makes no sense....they better have something up their sleeves.
Yeah I'm with you on this one Mike and I'm guessing the majority of people here at Club Lexus would agree with this as well...........in that we want a V8 version for the 4th generation GS.

V8 V8 V8

P.S.
I wanna experience the thrill that I experienced when I test drove the 3rd gen GS460 (my first and currently the only car I've test driven in my life..........that had EIGHT CYLINDERS).

Lexus, please give me that feeling again in a 4GS vehicle.
Old 06-26-12, 11:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Yeah I'm with you on this one Mike and I'm guessing the majority of people here at Club Lexus would agree with this as well...........in that we want a V8 version for the 4th generation GS.

V8 V8 V8

P.S.
I wanna experience the thrill that I experienced when I test drove the 3rd gen GS460 (my first and currently the only car I've test driven in my life..........that had EIGHT CYLINDERS).

Lexus, please give me that feeling again in a 4GS vehicle.
Yessir....and it needs to be around 400hp....400 is the new 300....500 is the new 400

The other option would be a higher hp hybrid then, making around 400hp.

Key number is 400

Old 06-26-12, 11:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

The other option would be a higher hp hybrid then, making around 400hp.

Key number is 400
agreed. i have no problem on hybrid if it's close to 400hp range, otherwise it's still not able to go against the euro. with the current gs450h pushing the same power and entering the 75k mark, that's quite steep
Old 06-26-12, 11:40 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Agree completely. My only issue and point is that I don't see anything from Lexus to give us hope that anything along those lines is forthcoming. Personally I don't think Lexus is interested in heading in that direction and any thoughts otherwise is based on blind faith.

They cared at one point of making the fastest sedan (or even being in the compeition) but it seems like it was just one point in time.

lol Natnut posted up the article above to rebut my 'no passion' argument and I don't think it was very good example. It talked more about the experience and the comraderie than how the car felt. They went to hard places, not any hard driving. When they were passed on the road by other cars or cut off, the response was about how good the brakes were or improving safety.
Old 06-26-12, 11:49 AM
LexFather

Well I think the Yen also screwed lexus. As Henry pointed out I just loaded up a GS 450h to 75k!!! When the yen was trading favorable look what it did.

Outgoing 1997 GS was 45k
1998 GS 300 was 38k
1998 GS 400 was 45k

I think the GS 460 was around 58k when it left in 2011. Lexus held the pricing

2012 GS 350 46k
2012 GS 450h 58k

So a V-8 would surely be around the same 58k and hit 70k easy with options. And unless it has 400hp plus it probably would give some people "wtf' moments like seeing a 70k M56.

Still though, it should be offered.

Old 06-26-12, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Well I think the Yen also screwed lexus. As Henry pointed out I just loaded up a GS 450h to 75k!!! When the yen was trading favorable look what it did.

Outgoing 1997 GS was 45k
1998 GS 300 was 38k
1998 GS 400 was 45k

I think the GS 460 was around 58k when it left in 2011. Lexus held the pricing

2012 GS 350 46k
2012 GS 450h 58k

So a V-8 would surely be around the same 58k and hit 70k easy with options. And unless it has 400hp plus it probably would give some people "wtf' moments like seeing a 70k M56.

Still though, it should be offered.
in my opinion though, if lexus makes a v8 4gs at around 400hp optioned for around 70-75k? it's not too bad (comparing to what one would pay for 550i or e550 today).

yes, comparing to 4gs350 which is around 57k optioned, it's 15-20k difference. but that's the premium one should pay for exclusivity (v8), performance, speed, whatever you call it.

however 75k for 340hp range, it's going to be tougher sell. yes, better gas mileage, i know. but honestly not too many who wants power would look into that.

indeed yen is playing a very tough unfavorable role against lexus
Old 06-26-12, 05:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

hell even hyundai could manage a 400+hp v8 midsize sedan.
Old 06-26-12, 07:13 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
agreed. i have no problem on hybrid if it's close to 400hp range, otherwise it's still not able to go against the euro. with the current gs450h pushing the same power and entering the 75k mark, that's quite steep
Yep, and let's not forget that there is now the ESh, that will surely take sales away from the GS line. Lexus should have kept the GSh as high performance hybrid, instead it became pricier and slower than previous gen.
Old 06-26-12, 07:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Yep, and let's not forget that there is now the ESh, that will surely take sales away from the GS line. Lexus should have kept the GSh as high performance hybrid, instead it became pricier and slower than previous gen.
you know, writing how GS450h is underpowered AND how ES300h is competition, can not be fit into same sentence.

If GS450h is under-powered at 350hp, how can 200hp FWD 4cly ES300h be its competition?

Quick Reply: INTERVIEW: Yoshihiko Kanamori, Lexus GS chief engineer, Lexus Group