Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

INTERVIEW: Yoshihiko Kanamori, Lexus GS chief engineer, Lexus Group

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 06:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Tantrix
I don't see much of the new GS on the streets. However, I do see a lot of the infiniti M.

Not sure if this is enough evidence of what the market desires.
You must see them at the dealership b/c sadly the M is a huge flop again. Some months they don't sell 1,000 a month and reviews have been lackluster to poor.

The market clearly desires the E/5/GS most years.

Old 06-16-12, 08:22 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

There's been discussion over on the 4GS subforum that the ES and GS are essentially competing in the same midsized luxury segment with most buyers (not being driving enthusiasts) opting for the cheaper roomier ES.

A German car shopper can only choose one midsize luxury car within that particular brand (either an A6 or E class or 5 series), whether or not he is driving enthusiast or just shopping for point A to B daily driver. OTOH, a Lexus fan shopping in the midsize luxury car segment can choose between a GS (for 5 series-beating driving dynamics) or an ES (for a luxurious spacious ride.)

I read somewhere that Roundel, the BMW magazine for NA , conducted a survey and most 3 series owners don't know(or care) that their cars were RWD or FWD. Hypothetically, if BMW or MB were to offer a FWD version of the 5/E for cheaper, same as the price differential between the ES and GS, would the proportion opting for the cheaper and roomier FWD version (since there's no longer a space occupying transmission tunnel) be the same as the breakdown between ES-GS sales?

Perhaps the biggest enemy/competitor to GS sales isn't the Genesis, the 5er or the E-class or even weaknesses in the GS platform itself but the existence of the ES. If I were a Lexus aficionado and not interested in an involving drive, why not get the cheaper roomier car wearing the same badge?

Last edited by natnut; 06-16-12 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-16-12, 09:21 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, at least the GS is selling really well in Las Vegas area. The dealerships don't have enough GS to sell, you either have to order one, or forced to get whatever model they have in stock, which means less desired combo/options. I think Lexus is doing a good job. As for the ES and GS, to a car guy like me, they are nothing alike and serve completely different purpose.
Old 06-16-12, 11:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^ amazing lexus es+gs sales still are less than 5/e, but i suspect the new es is going to change that, although it may eat into gs sales too. either way, lexus is definitely stepping it up!
yes i say wait for the new es to come out and then we compare the numbers

nonetheless, the numbers on e and 5 are insane
Old 06-17-12, 10:46 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL the BMW 5er and Benz E-class outsell the Acura RL by over 100:1.
Old 06-17-12, 02:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

True, the ES competes with GS sales.
However personally, I wouldn't axe the ES; I would continue to sell the twin model line up.
The twin model line up actually offers more choice to the customer, and is theoretically capable of bigger total sales volume.

ES Sales, USA:
2005: 67,577
2006: 75,987
2007: 82,867

GS Sales, USA:
2005: 33,457
2006: 27,390
2007: 23,381

When both the 3GS was new in 2005, and the 5ES was new in 2006, their combined sales were quite strong, at about 100k units/yr.
Combined sales may be higher than E Class and 5 Series.
Combined sales dropped off as the models aged, and with the recession from October 2008 onwards.

The Acura RL is so so old now; it's been around since 2005; too long in the tooth - the ES gets a new model every 5 years...
Old 06-17-12, 04:26 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
Infiniti M sales figures are less than the GS :

Link :
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/search/...?max-results=5
holy smoke! Thanks for sharing.

A lot of people complain about how 5 series is getting too soft and such. I drove a 550i with M sport package and I have to agree. It felt heavy and not as nimble, but the power delivery was quite scary. 550i was every bit as fast or faster than M3. Just felt too heavy...

However, sales numbers don't lie. BMW 5 is still the king. GS isn't quite there yet to play with the big boys.
Old 06-18-12, 05:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
holy smoke! Thanks for sharing.

A lot of people complain about how 5 series is getting too soft and such. I drove a 550i with M sport package and I have to agree. It felt heavy and not as nimble, but the power delivery was quite scary. 550i was every bit as fast or faster than M3. Just felt too heavy...

However, sales numbers don't lie. BMW 5 is still the king. GS isn't quite there yet to play with the big boys.
i dont think GS will ever have those sales, but Lexus would be happy with 2-3k in monthly sales, on average, once more engines come up.

2-3 years ago when it was still fairly "fresh", ES would have outsold all of those.
Old 06-18-12, 08:00 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think GS will ever have those sales, but Lexus would be happy with 2-3k in monthly sales, on average, once more engines come up.

2-3 years ago when it was still fairly "fresh", ES would have outsold all of those.
ES isn't in the same class as 5,E, and GS. I am not sure why people keep on using the same argument.
Old 06-18-12, 08:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
ES isn't in the same class as 5,E, and GS. I am not sure why people keep on using the same argument.
the way i see it, yup es is a class below those 3. but then as long as lexus have the es numbers shadowing the gs (with marketing, sales, releases), i don't think gs can really grow out of what it is now
Old 06-18-12, 11:56 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprised it hasn't been discussed directly at all here but does this article lessen some of the belief that a high hp V8 BMW killing (or at least equal) GS-F is coming down the pipeline in the near future?

Or are people reading the 'laughs and smiles' responses to mean 400hp?
Old 06-18-12, 03:48 PM
LexFather

^^^^ He's staying on the project b/c a coupe is coming

Old 06-18-12, 03:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

No V8, so I guess no GS-F ... and many don't believe they will use a V10 for the GS-F if they want to build one ...
Old 06-18-12, 03:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
No V8, so I guess no GS-F ... and many don't believe they will use a V10 for the GS-F if they want to build one ...
Yeah no V-8 is whack....to talk about the environment and the same damn company offers a 5.0 V-8 in the IS F, LS 600h L and a V-10 in the LFA is quite ridiculous. I could understand Lexus didn't have or offer one V-8. Hell the GX and LX have them too.

Makes no sense....they better have something up their sleeves.

Old 06-18-12, 05:03 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah no V-8 is whack....to talk about the environment and the same damn company offers a 5.0 V-8 in the IS F, LS 600h L and a V-10 in the LFA is quite ridiculous. I could understand Lexus didn't have or offer one V-8. Hell the GX and LX have them too.

Makes no sense....they better have something up their sleeves.
Exactly, geez, can they HEAR us now?!

Quick Reply: INTERVIEW: Yoshihiko Kanamori, Lexus GS chief engineer, Lexus Group