Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 12:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Really looks like a IS in this pic.
I have a hard time telling a 4GS from a 2IS from a distant.

Lexus is turning into Benz/BMW/Audi

Car companies can stop giving their cars model name, it can just be Lexus Small, Medium or Large, 2 or 4 doors, can the top open or not?

Oh yes, I drive a Lexus Large.

Last edited by BNR34; 06-05-12 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 12:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I think we all spend too much time in CAR CHAT (and others too, in their car-forums) worrying about who is copying who, and why. There are so many manufacturers, and so many vehicles, out there, over the years, that no matter what you do....from a pure shoe-box like the 1Gen Scion xB to a super-sleek Lamborghini......you are going to end up copying someone, sometime, and somewhere. There is probably no such thing as a purely original design nowadays. In fact, since we're on the subject of the 4Gen Lexus GS, if we really wanted to get picky, we could say that its circular analog-clock copies something that Infniti started over 20 years ago, and continued for many years. But, IMO, that would be a senseless arguement.....who really cares?

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-05-12 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 12:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
flipside909,

I am surprise you even posted that, you being all pro Lexus and all.

t.
What is your issue with making this type of comment toward pro Lexus members, especially high standing ones, on a Lexus forum? Do you know how much Ryan has done for the Lexus community? Do you?

Not only that you need to stick to the topic instead of finding ways to vent anti-Lexus rhetoric whenever possible. See what I did there?

This thread is a prime example.......__________________

Old 06-05-12, 12:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Honestly all these comparisons are getting tiresome. Its a modern design language plain and simple (with a twist for each automaker). Fluidic designs are the new norm. If it bothers people so much that a Hyundai and Lexus look "similar" then they don't get the point. Styling is subjective, and what it comes down to is the manner in which each vehicle is executed. A Sonata and GS have two completely different missions and are catered to different classes. One step further, if they still think its copying let's go back to 1985 with the original Ford Taurus which started a design revolution that EVERYONE else used as a template.
Old 06-05-12, 12:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Guys please leave off the personal commentary and stick to the thread topic.
Old 06-05-12, 01:08 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a disaster this 4g styling is...
You got Mercedes door handle, Mercedes mirror blinker. BMW door/window side profile. Audi wanna-be led strip up front with a patented "spindle" grill.

Swing to the back you got random parts bin from Toyota, inconsistant styling finished with LS exhaust that is too large for this mid sized car. They look like they are slaped on there upside down just hanging there like 2 donkey ********.
Attached Thumbnails Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata-556840_10150157276774960_56128569959_1685775_1089014401_n.jpg  
Old 06-05-12, 01:26 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4GS is fine, but I wish the Lexus designer should at least keep the concept GS taillights. It's an insult when people keep saying the 4GS rear looks like a Hyundai Sonata. The girl in my office said it when I first showed the pictures to her, and she doesn't know anything about cars.
Old 06-05-12, 02:24 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This has been discussed a zillion times, recent thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-styling.html

We all know Hyundai is very good as copying different styles/brands and merging it into one car. The 4GS rear is simply an evolution of Lexus rear ends with the LED tubes being an evolution of the LS 460 ones.

So we have some similarity in the tailights and that is b/c Lexus was one of the first luxury brands I remember that used their tailights as aerodynamic pieces where they stick out from the body. What Hyundai has done is no different than what we saw with the Nissan Altima/Maxima/G etc all having similarities to the 2/3GS and some people acted like Lexus somehow copied them.

The GS while debuting the new spindle grill is an evolution of design since the first gen in 1993. Today it is very very difficult for 3 box sedans to look different especially with non luxury brands now adding style to their family sedans.

So Lexus bring us a 4 door coupe (crap that will then be called a copy of the )
I have to disagree on this with you. You keep saying it's an evolution. Where? We aren't talking about some LED tubes, but the overall look. When you'd take a look at 3gs there are absolutely no similarities in 3gs vs 4gs taillights. I understand this is a Lexus forum, but people need to get realistic. To me 4gs is a 'lazy' design. Even my brother who's a lexus fan boy, the first thing he said when he saw leaked pictures of 4gs - Sonata rear end.
Old 06-05-12, 03:00 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think we all spend too much time in CAR CHAT (and others too, in their car-forums) worrying about who is copying who, and why. There are so many manufacturers, and so many vehicles, out there, over the years, that no matter what you do....from a pure shoe-box like the 1Gen Scion xB to a super-sleek Lamborghini......you are going to end up copying someone, sometime, and somewhere. There is probably no such thing as a purely original design nowadays. In fact, since we're on the subject of the 4Gen Lexus GS, if we really wanted to get picky, we could say that its circular analog-clock copies something that Infniti started over 20 years ago, and continued for many years. But, IMO, that would be a senseless arguement.....who really cares?

my sentiments exactly. The norm nowadays is using styling fluidic styling cues because it sells. Each has its own identity regardless of similarities. The analog-clock analogy is a price example of the pointlessness that is comparing designs which are completely subjective. Rather let the merits of the car speak for themselves. That's what numbers and comparisons tests are for. The Sonata and GS are both "Cars", but they couldn't be anymore different in their approach of catering towards the consumer.
Old 06-05-12, 03:10 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this even merit 39 posts? These cars really look nothing alike, unless you live in a world where you can only view a single angle of any object.
Old 06-05-12, 03:23 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If anything, the new ES is more similar to the Sonata styling more than the GS imo. Regardless, I don't think people will ever cross shop the cars any way. Now the new Azera will definitely get compared to the new ES. The lines nowadays are getting even more blurred when it comes to styling. Interiors wil soon be the new focus for companies because the exterior styling will mend into only handful of design cues. Smh.

Last edited by Slvr surfr; 06-06-12 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 03:38 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm also not a fan of the new GS. I was planning on upgrading my 2IS to 4GS but after seeing it.. I was like geez it's like a Frankenstein mobile.. I actually prefer the looks of the new Avalon instead.

Old 06-05-12, 03:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

didnt the new Hyundai come out before the 4GS??? The notion of copying is getting old guys. The only car companies who copy straight up are the chinese . I love what Lexus has done with the 4GS dynamically. They engineered a beautiful class leading sedan. In my eyes its the rear of the car that looks not so hot
Old 06-05-12, 05:29 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
besides the more expensive exhaust treatment, i actually think the sonata 'rear' looks BETTER, maybe because the top left/right of the back flow more elegantly and softly into the sides whereas the GS looks 'thin' and more boxy there.
Uh, I am one of the most vocal critics of the rear of the 4GS (though I do like all other angles). But that rear does make me sad, because the concept's rear looked so great.

Having said that, NO WAY that Sonata rear looks better than the 4GS, IMO. The 4GS is just crisper and more elegant (especially at night, with the lights on). Sonata rear is still a little overwrought to me, which is my opinion of the whole car's exterior....though I applaud Hyundai for taking the risk. I think over time, when Hyundai begins to soften these radical designs, they will age well. I like the Elantra's design's the best right now out of all the Hyundai's.

and what a joke that people on fb are saying hyundai copied lexus when the sonata came out years before.
Yeah, I guess you could say that.

i think lexus completely blew it on the exterior of the 4GS. but maybe they took a page from the prior 5 series - like this, it was no looker, but the dynamics were good and it still sold well.
Not completely. I like the aggressive front (looks awesome with a drop). And I like the slab side. Again, with shoes and a drop, the profile looks fine.

plus no v8, missing features (no trunk closer in u.s., no power folding mirrors), continued extremely limited option selection and even supply... just makes the whole buying experience irritating for those who want what they want!
I agree.

dynamically though, and on the interior, it's the best GS so far. butta face...
LOL
Old 06-05-12, 05:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys please leave off the personal commentary and stick to the thread topic.
Ignored moderator request, please exit this thread

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-05-12 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata