Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 09:50 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

flipside909,

I am surprise you even posted that, you being all pro Lexus and all.

Yes that is exactly why I am not even interested in test driving a 4GS, it looks like a 2IS in the front, a Sonata in the back and a 3GS/Genesis in the middle

In a word, it looks cheap like a $30k car.

The interior is fantastic like a $80k Bimmer though. So like what people say, you don't see the outside when you are driving it.
Old 06-05-12, 10:01 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I was looking at a new sonata when I saw the GS for the first time but who cares? Enjoy your new GS.
Old 06-05-12, 10:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
My s/n is oohpapi44 and I co-sign this message.
thanks.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its not a joke. Lexus actually has design continuity and the GS rear is again an evolution of Lexus and the GS from 1993 on.
because they're so similar...

Old 06-05-12, 10:13 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ lulz .....
Old 06-05-12, 10:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The Sonata thing doesn't matter to me but the over sized integrated exhaust ports do.
Why so big/wide?I believe the GS opening is bigger than the LS exhaust openings.
Old 06-05-12, 10:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and what a joke that people on fb are saying hyundai copied lexus when the sonata came out years before.
Did you miss the part of the joke where the 2IS came out before the Sonata and the Sonata looks like the 2IS?

I think car design is much more homogeneous across most manufacturers these days. You could pretty much put either the Hyundai or the Lexus up next to 5 different cars from 5 different brands and spend all day picking out similarities.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
because they're so similar...
bit, I think you are clearly selecting a profile of the vehicle that best fits your point to poke fun here. Seeing the 4GS in person especially in side profiles, there are definitely similar styling cues to the 2GS. Don't have time to go search them up and post, but I'm comfortable saying I don't agree with you here .
Old 06-05-12, 10:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This reminds me of the Lexus RX330 and Hyundai Veracruz debacle a few years back...

Old 06-05-12, 10:42 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I agree that the taillights and chrome strip are very similar to the sonata, but to me, I have to defend the GS b/c I think the design dept. also borrowed some cue from the ES350.

Old 06-05-12, 10:47 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
bit, I think you are clearly selecting a profile of the vehicle that best fits your point to poke fun here. Seeing the 4GS in person especially in side profiles, there are definitely similar styling cues to the 2GS. Don't have time to go search them up and post, but I'm comfortable saying I don't agree with you here .
The original post by 1Sicklex specifically talks about the rear of the car not the other profiles. I have to agree that it does look like Lexus copied a bit here. Nobody is immune to it.
Old 06-05-12, 10:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't think Lexus copied , why the hell would they want to copy a Hyundai ???
What probably happened is they finalized the tail design of the 4GS before they saw the Hyundai , ... But regardless , I think the rear end does not look good at all whether it's similar to a Hyundai or not ...
Old 06-05-12, 11:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i wasn't picking a profile to fit my point...

Originally Posted by patgilm
The original post by 1Sicklex specifically talks about the rear of the car not the other profiles.
but then patgilm writes:
I have to agree that it does look like Lexus copied a bit here. Nobody is immune to it.
disagree. agree with this:

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I don't think Lexus copied , why the hell would they want to copy a Hyundai ???
What probably happened is they finalized the tail design of the 4GS before they saw the Hyundai , ... But regardless , I think the rear end does not look good at all whether it's similar to a Hyundai or not ...
Old 06-05-12, 11:12 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
The original post by 1Sicklex specifically talks about the rear of the car not the other profiles.
Fair enough, then he should have posted up 1GS, 2GS, 3GS and 4GS to illustrate the point not just a 15 year styling jump from 1998 to 2013.

I agree the styling of the rear doesn't show as much design continuity as the overall lines of the car and other styling cues.
Old 06-05-12, 11:54 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Me thinks the rear of the 4GS looks most like the current IS, the latter of which is quite original to me.
Both the new 4GS tail and the old ES tail, seem to be derived from the current IS, however it is worthy of note that the new 4GS tail looks nothing like the old ES tail.

To a lesser extent, by coincidence, the 4GS does look somewhat like the Hyundai, however the Sonata is much more rounded in shape, and very oinky and boring in style.
I have to think about the Sonata and the 4GS before I recognise any similarities.
With the 4GS and the IS, the resemblance is instantaneous.

Note that the "internal line angles" of the 4GS tail light lenses are now "inverted" in their angulation, relative to the original IS.
Thus, the new 4GS lights have more of a slanting downwards sad or meaner look, where the ageing IS has more of a slanting upwards happy friendlier look.
The new 4GS inverted internal line angle on the tail light lenses does help to look different from the mass market, because most car's internal line angles slope upwards for a happier look.

The new 4GS rear is nice; it just needs cleaner tail light lenses like the original prototype.
Me thinks a 4GS update in 3 years time will have very nice tail light lenses.

Meanwhile, the 4GS exhausts are beautiful, and are a direct steal from the LS, the latter of which seems to be quite original in my memory.
Where the LS exhaust looks softer, the new 4GS exhaust looks appropriately more aggressive.
The new 7 Series exhaust is an awful/abhorrent imitation of the LS exhaust!

My only real concern for the all new 4GS styling is in regards to its interior styling, which in typical Toyota style, will not be amended at facelift...

versus

No wonder BMW has such a good name.
Now, BMW could almost sell ice to the eskimos.
Consequently, most people don't know that much about motor cars, yet they always buy the most reputable brands...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-05-12 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-05-12, 11:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Me thinks the rear of the 4GS looks most like the current IS, the latter of which is quite original to me.
To a lesser extent, by coincidence, the 4GS does look somewhat like the Hyundai, however the Sonata is much more rounded in shape, and very oinky and boring in style.
I have to think about the Sonata and the 4GS before I recognise any similarities.
With the 4GS and the IS, the resemblance is instantaneous.

The new 4GS rear is nice; it just needs cleaner tail light lenses like the original prototype...

]
Really looks like a IS in this pic.
Old 06-05-12, 12:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Fair enough, then he should have posted up 1GS, 2GS, 3GS and 4GS to illustrate the point not just a 15 year styling jump from 1998 to 2013.
time was limited, but i'd done that, i think it would continue to show there's NO continuity between them at the rear.

I agree the styling of the rear doesn't show as much design continuity as the overall lines of the car and other styling cues.
agreed. so i think you were disagreeing with something i never stated.

Quick Reply: Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata