Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

While Toyota shakes off 2-year turmoil, it's a different story at Honda

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 11:59 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see Honda having too much troubles in their current lineup. Sure this company has no exciting products, but is it meant to have? In my opinion it's Acura's job to supply fun, special, interesting vehicles. Honda's doing great in its fundamentals: producing easy-maintained, easy to afford, above-average in handling and performance(when compared to other mainstream brands), average looking vehicles that would offend almost nobody. Their cars are still reliable in the long run. They need to rectify some flaws, but no big deal. Here are the things I suggest them to do:
1. Reduce the exterior size of its ninth generation Accord sedan, it is too big right now.
2. Give CR-Z a true energetic engine even it might hurt its fuel economy.
3. Make the second generation Ridgeline a full size pick-up like a F150, with a longer bed.
Old 05-08-12, 12:23 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
3. Make the second generation Ridgeline a full size pick-up like a F150, with a longer bed.
I remember reading that the Ridgeline is dead or will be soon.
Old 05-08-12, 01:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

I find this story hilarious. The CR-Z was THEE car everyone was begging Honda to make since discontinuing the CRX. Now it's ironic everyone is saying it needs to be cancelled. I actually feel a bit sorry for Honda because they listened to the enthusiasts and it backfired. Then again, the car was just not done right (too slow, nerdy styling), so I guess the firing is warranted.
Old 05-08-12, 02:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I find this story hilarious. The CR-Z was THEE car everyone was begging Honda to make since discontinuing the CRX. Now it's ironic everyone is saying it needs to be cancelled. I actually feel a bit sorry for Honda because they listened to the enthusiasts and it backfired. Then again, the car was just not done right (too slow, nerdy styling), so I guess the firing is warranted.
that's just it. They wanted the CRX not the CR-Z
Old 05-08-12, 04:57 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Guarantee you that if Honda ditched the silly and weak and not all that fuel efficient hybrid drivetrain out of the CR-Z and instead went with a modernized and emissions legal revived B16A, B18B, or K20Z engine that they would be selling like hot cakes. THATS the car that enthusiasts wanted, not this pathetic 0-60 in 9 seconds contraption that even our ancient 2002 Toyota Highlander would pull on. Maybe an Si version of the CR-Z will be coming. Knowing Honda lately, don't hold your breath.
Old 05-08-12, 05:26 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I don't see Honda having too much troubles in their current lineup. Sure this company has no exciting products, but is it meant to have?
How is this not a problem? Who wants boring and uninspiring cars? Besides my retired parents who have no interest in cars whatsoever. Is that really who Honda is aiming for? Must be. A good friend of mine who has no interest in cars whatsoever went for the widely panned 2012 Civic and he likes it just fine. Honda (and Acura's) story lately is one of missed opportunities, poor execution, and one of settling for mediocrity. It's definitely a big problem.
Old 05-08-12, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I feel Honda has improved a lot. As a current CRV owner I'm impressed by it and the paint quality seems a lot better than my 65k M3.

Yep. There's a reason why the CR-V sells in the numbers it does.
Old 05-08-12, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep. There's a reason why the CR-V sells in the numbers it does.
You don't want my 2 cents...lucky Larry has one

Old 05-08-12, 10:50 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My client just purchased a CRV, he waited 1 month for it. The CUV is selling like crazy. Come on, Toyota, bring in the all new RAV4!
Old 05-09-12, 10:00 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Toyota's turmoil was artificially created, of course it bounce back quickly.

Honda on the other hand, is on life support. Seems like their management lost interest in the company. They finally put in 6 speeds tranny..........wowzers
Old 05-09-12, 10:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You don't want my 2 cents...lucky Larry has one
In CAR CHAT, Mike, both your 2 cents and mine are like the sun coming each morning. Happens no matter what...even if clouds get in the way.
Old 05-09-12, 10:53 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
How is this not a problem? Who wants boring and uninspiring cars? Besides my retired parents who have no interest in cars whatsoever. Is that really who Honda is aiming for? Must be. A good friend of mine who has no interest in cars whatsoever went for the widely panned 2012 Civic and he likes it just fine. Honda (and Acura's) story lately is one of missed opportunities, poor execution, and one of settling for mediocrity. It's definitely a big problem.
I respect your opinion. However, I would like to clarify that Honda is not doing anything different from what they used to do: making reliable, easy to drive vehicles, that's it. Don't confuse Acura's failure with Honda. Acura is supposed to give consumers exciting and special products, which they continuously failed to do so. From the sales perspective, more than half of its current lineup are still selling great(Accord, Civic, Odyssey, CR-V, Pilot). Honda's major weak point is that their hybrid vehicles are no match to the Prius family, and thats something Honda needs to focus on. Let's see if they would screw up the new Accord, that would be a calamity for Honda.
Old 05-10-12, 11:14 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I respect your opinion. However, I would like to clarify that Honda is not doing anything different from what they used to do: making reliable, easy to drive vehicles, that's it. Don't confuse Acura's failure with Honda. Acura is supposed to give consumers exciting and special products, which they continuously failed to do so. From the sales perspective, more than half of its current lineup are still selling great(Accord, Civic, Odyssey, CR-V, Pilot). Honda's major weak point is that their hybrid vehicles are no match to the Prius family, and thats something Honda needs to focus on. Let's see if they would screw up the new Accord, that would be a calamity for Honda.
I agree with you, but that again is the problem. Honda is making just about the same products that they have been - the problem is that everybody else has been improving and innovating their own products so much more to the point that Honda's vehicles are lagging behind. The only thing keeping them afloat is strong owner loyalty and that's it, not their products.

Looking at Consumer Report's 2012 Annual Auto Issue, there is not one single Honda vehicle listed as a top pick in any category. Toyota got 5 top picks out of 10 categories, and when it wasn't a Toyota it was still anybody other than Honda. Despite selling well, the Civic is now rated so low in CR that it isn't even recommended anymore. Not necessarily a bad car, but rather that a lot of the others are significantly better. The 7 year old RAV4 still outscores the CR-V, which has actually been redesigned twice now within the 3rd gen RAV4's timeframe (RAV4 came out in 2006, the CR-V was redesigned in 07 and now 12).

The newest Hondas aren't raising the bar. They're hardly better than the cars they're replacing and in some cases are actually worse, whereas the competition keeps getting better and better. Why buy a Honda Accord rather than a Ford Fusion? The Fusion has attractive styling, has very good reliability, is rated well, and offers AWD and Hybrid versions which Honda still doesn't offer.

I know Honda can do much much better than they have been, and as a former big time Honda fanboy this pains me.