Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota RAV4 EV priced at $49,800

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 07:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Also, what is cost of high cap charger + install at house?
it is subsidized in Cali, not sure how much $1k-2k...

for instance this has 42kWh battery while Volt has 16kWh battery, so nobody is making money on this.
Old 05-08-12, 09:07 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This RAV4 is for your typical celebrity that buys an EV for the eco "image" while the other car next to it in their garage is a hummer.

Just too pricy for your everyday buyer of these vehicles. You can essentially get 2 regular RAV's for the price of the RAV EV.

Last edited by gsrthomas; 05-08-12 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-08-12, 11:25 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

This is going to be another Chevy volt I am afraid. Its just to expensive to sell well or to really make an impact
Old 05-08-12, 11:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
This RAV4 is for your typical celebrity that buys an EV for the eco "image" while the other car next to it in their garage is a hummer.

Just too pricy for your everyday buyer of these vehicles. You can essentially get 2 regular RAV's for the price of the RAV EV.
eh,

RAV4 V6 Limited $31k
RAV EV 100 miles - $40k after tax deductions + more equipment.

I am sure you can buy 4 Nissan Versa's, but your statement is simply not true.

If you guys think this is supposed to be 20k, then you are out of touch.
Old 05-08-12, 11:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
eh,

RAV4 V6 Limited $31k
RAV EV 100 miles - $40k after tax deductions + more equipment.

I am sure you can buy 4 Nissan Versa's, but your statement is simply not true.

If you guys think this is supposed to be 20k, then you are out of touch.
Is that $10K off the cost or a $10K tax deduction which is a lot less than $10K?
Old 05-08-12, 11:33 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That's what they said with the $800 first gen iPhone.

Breakthrough technology is almost never cheap. But, in time, it will surely be more approachable.

By having Toyota play the game early one, they will build a reputation that others will only catch up to. The Prius (remember the first gen base Prius cost $20k in 2001! ) is a perfect example of such breakthroughs...
And nobody did buy the $800 iPhone. It wasn't until Apple realized this fact and worked out a subsidized deal with AT&T that sales really took off.
Old 05-08-12, 12:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Is that $10K off the cost or a $10K tax deduction which is a lot less than $10K?
$7.5k Federal and $2.5k California deductions.

And this car probably costs them $70k to produce.
Old 05-08-12, 12:23 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

raw Lithium is steadily climbing in price, and it's becoming more costly to excavate and meet the demands. I wonder how much Lithium is actually in the Battery packs of these hybrid or full electric vehicles?

"Though traded internationally, lithium it is not traded on the public market and is sold directly to end use markets for a negotiated price per tonne or pound of (Li, K)Cl or carbonate compounds. This makes price data difficult to confirm but some recent deals have reached $6,500USD/tonne for lithium carbonate, driven by high demand from end use buyers and relatively low global production."
Old 05-08-12, 02:40 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Just bad in every ways.................price, styling, and cheap plastic/ plain interior. How many on us here really looking forward to buy this beauty please raise your hand. If most of us here rejected a car, chances are it will not do well.......... just an example Volt and Lexus HS.
Old 05-08-12, 02:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
And nobody did buy the $800 iPhone. It wasn't until Apple realized this fact and worked out a subsidized deal with AT&T that sales really took off.
Without the initiation, there would be no friution.

It wasn't about volume or quantity, but initiating quality.

To correlate, the iPhone and Prius are now benchmarks, because Apple and Toyota had the ***** to do something about it.
Old 05-08-12, 03:09 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Without the initiation, there would be no friution.

It wasn't about volume or quantity, but initiating quality.

To correlate, the iPhone and Prius are now benchmarks, because Apple and Toyota had the ***** to do something about it.
What? Every failed product began with a first step, too. Pseudo-philosophical musings are great for inspiration, I guess, but don't mean much in the marketplace.

The world is full of failed products that were ahead of their time that simply cost too much. Let's take another Apple product, the Newton, as a prime example.

Back to this car - I think Toyota will meet sales targets because there's always a fool willing to pay for the status who doesn't want to give up all utility, but it doesn't mean this thing will ever be a common sight on the road. That doesn't mean there isn't a business case for such a car for a myriad of reasons I won't go into, though.
Old 05-08-12, 04:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nick2JZ
Just bad in every ways.................price, styling, and cheap plastic/ plain interior. How many on us here really looking forward to buy this beauty please raise your hand. If most of us here rejected a car, chances are it will not do well.......... just an example Volt and Lexus HS.
yeah, that new touch HVAC from 2013 Avalon, 8" Navigation from Land Cruiser, LED headlights, and all digital instrument panel are really Yaris level.
Old 05-08-12, 06:03 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Mr. Akio Toyoda must be on vacation............................. please don't have an heart attack when you find out about this car. God please bless him.
Old 05-08-12, 06:07 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Originally Posted by spwolf
$7.5k Federal and $2.5k California deductions.

And this car probably costs them $70k to produce.
It's a tax credit, not a tax deduction, so it is worth the full 10k if you would otherwise owe that much.

However, I do not know if it is refundable. If it is, they would send you a refund check if you owe less than that in tax. If it isn't, you can only take your tax to zero, and you lose out on the rest of the value.

Also, I'm not sure if it can reduce your AMT, if you are subject to it. If it can't, then it can only take your tax to the AMT, and you lose out on the rest of the value.
Old 05-08-12, 06:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ty419
It's a tax credit, not a tax deduction, so it is worth the full 10k if you would otherwise owe that much.

However, I do not know if it is refundable. If it is, they would send you a refund check if you owe less than that in tax. If it isn't, you can only take your tax to zero, and you lose out on the rest of the value.

Also, I'm not sure if it can reduce your AMT, if you are subject to it. If it can't, then it can only take your tax to the AMT, and you lose out on the rest of the value.
Cali 2.5k is rabate so always applicable... Govt $7.5k is good unless you are subject to AMT.
So mid income buyers are covered... if you make more than 150k-400k which is around where AMT hits in Cali, then you probably shouldnt get the credit :-).

Quick Reply: Toyota RAV4 EV priced at $49,800