Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Distances Itself from Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-12, 11:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
I don't know, but for similar price point and performance, GT-R has better build quality. Maybe because it doesn't have lesser model, but I wouldn't pay 100K+ for a crappy interior.
I would buy a 911 GTS over the ZR1.
Not as quick but I love it.

The GT-R is a great but the ZR1 is quicker.

"The 2012 Chevrolet Corvette can bring the heat. The base car is extremely fast: the Z06, terrifyingly so. As for the ZR1, any car whose speed at the end of the quarter-mile approaches 130 mph is just in a different league -- the ballyhooed Nissan GT-R trails the ZR1 by a full 10 mph here. Top to bottom, the Corvette stable has enough broad-shouldered eight-cylinder force to satisfy even the most depraved speed fiend. Nor does this hamper drivability, as all Corvette models are pretty easy and comfortable to drive around town."

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-09-12 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-09-12, 11:26 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427

"The 2012 Chevrolet Corvette can bring the heat. The base car is extremely fast: the Z06, terrifyingly so. As for the ZR1, any car whose speed at the end of the quarter-mile approaches 130 mph is just in a different league -- the ballyhooed Nissan GT-R trails the ZR1 by a full 10 mph here. Top to bottom, the Corvette stable has enough broad-shouldered eight-cylinder force to satisfy even the most depraved speed fiend. Nor does this hamper drivability, as all Corvette models are pretty easy and comfortable to drive around town."
A tard quicker, but almost 20K more expensive with crappy interior.

Let's not turn this thread to GT-R vs ZR1.

Last edited by cino; 05-09-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-09-12, 11:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems the '12 GT-R is quicker 0-60 at 2.9 but half second slower in the 1/4 with the ZR-1 at 10.7.
It does have a nicer interior.

Ok,I'm done.
Old 05-09-12, 05:58 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know why Toyota/Lexus has to make this such a time consuming or difficult process!!! We are talking about a company that is not "new" to the "exciting cars" scene. Are we all forgetting who the makers of legendary cars such as; the Supra Turbo's, the Land-cruiser's, the 4Runner's/Hilux's, the AE86's, the 2000GT, and let's not forget the LFA are!?! Now, remember, 5 of the 6 cars I named are real Toyota's. My point is, it's actually a good thing to build a foundation on the Toyota cars as that is where the "excitement" truly lies. Lexus is in a perfect position to literally overtake a huge customer base from the Germans if they just get their act together and make truly competitive cars. What is so hard about making a 500HP GS-F that shares the same engine as the IS-F? The technology is there, the parts are there....slap on a few modified engine mounts on a GS350, drop in a 5.0 IS-F V8, give it some wild body work, a dual-clutch setup, and touch-up the interior a tad bit....and you have an M5 competitor that will sell like an iPhone on launch day. Why does BMW still offer a manual trans, yet Lexus doesn't? Toyota incorporated one of the strongest transmissions known to man in the MKIV Supra (Getrag) and now it's a difficult thing to incorporate? Fine....automatic it is, but lets see some technology borrowed from the LFA. Speaking of LFA, why is it so difficult to make a dash cluster like the LFA in all "F" cars? Doesn't have to be exactly like the LFA's, but at least give us that bling factor to embarrass the competition. I personally would kill for that gauge cluster in a LFA....just sooooo SICK! I could go on for hours about this....bottom line....they need to seriously work on their "F" cars not "F-Sport"...full "F" cars, like AMG and M cars. They get this right, and Lexus will own half the world.
Old 05-09-12, 06:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

uh no

2012 ZR1 $111,600
2013 GT-R 97,820
2013 GT-R Black edition $107,320
Old 05-09-12, 07:19 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
uh no

2012 ZR1 $111,600
2013 GT-R 97,820
2013 GT-R Black edition $107,320
You know, I was talking about MSRP+ tax + registration fee = OTD.
Old 05-09-12, 07:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You know, I was talking about MSRP+ tax + registration fee = OTD.
even if you add tax, licensing to the MSRP for both its not a 20K difference
Old 05-09-12, 09:44 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
even if you add tax, licensing to the MSRP for both its not a 20K difference
You know I said "almost". I don't know if you're that picky. It's about 3K to 20K, not 17K to 20K.
Old 05-09-12, 10:57 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Too late.
Old 05-10-12, 10:06 AM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427

Mmmm it's not actually quicker all around. It's not quicker to 60 or to 100. It happens so that its faster to 130 but it still takes longer to complete the quarter mile so it's one shade of quicker Ina whole spectrum of acceleration. This is a pretty biased article: "Nor does this hamper drivability, as all Corvette models are pretty easy and comfortable to drive around town." lolwut?
Old 05-10-12, 10:45 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GT-Rs advantage lies with its AWD. The traction on that car is ridiculous and not many cars can come close. With all this GT-R vs corvette talk, i'm with the other guy. I'd take a Porsche 911. Any day, any model over the other two.
Old 05-10-12, 12:17 PM
Kingdavid
Driver

Originally Posted by LexIS007
I don't know why Toyota/Lexus has to make this such a time consuming or difficult process!!! We are talking about a company that is not "new" to the "exciting cars" scene. Are we all forgetting who the makers of legendary cars such as; the Supra Turbo's, the Land-cruiser's, the 4Runner's/Hilux's, the AE86's, the 2000GT, and let's not forget the LFA are!?! Now, remember, 5 of the 6 cars I named are real Toyota's. My point is, it's actually a good thing to build a foundation on the Toyota cars as that is where the "excitement" truly lies. Lexus is in a perfect position to literally overtake a huge customer base from the Germans if they just get their act together and make truly competitive cars. What is so hard about making a 500HP GS-F that shares the same engine as the IS-F? The technology is there, the parts are there....slap on a few modified engine mounts on a GS350, drop in a 5.0 IS-F V8, give it some wild body work, a dual-clutch setup, and touch-up the interior a tad bit....and you have an M5 competitor that will sell like an iPhone on launch day. Why does BMW still offer a manual trans, yet Lexus doesn't? Toyota incorporated one of the strongest transmissions known to man in the MKIV Supra (Getrag) and now it's a difficult thing to incorporate? Fine....automatic it is, but lets see some technology borrowed from the LFA. Speaking of LFA, why is it so difficult to make a dash cluster like the LFA in all "F" cars? Doesn't have to be exactly like the LFA's, but at least give us that bling factor to embarrass the competition. I personally would kill for that gauge cluster in a LFA....just sooooo SICK! I could go on for hours about this....bottom line....they need to seriously work on their "F" cars not "F-Sport"...full "F" cars, like AMG and M cars. They get this right, and Lexus will own half the world.
I don't think the F is looked on with the same reverence as BMW looks at M. Though M cars make up only a fraction of the care BMW sells they are where BMW makes its money. Every BMW driver wants to drive an M even the suv drivers, just ask them.
Personally I don't want to drive an is-f. Mostly because theyre butt ugly, but also because for a similar price I could have an m-3 which is still slapping the is-f around. Lexus can't make the itself the "alternative" choice, it needs to make itself the OBVIOUS choice.
I'm praying Lexus learned from the 335 debacle and is waiting for BMW to drop its new model 3 series before dropping it's own with better everything. I think that's Lexus' chance, otherwise it will become "coulda been" who had a shot at the title but couldn't go three rounds
Old 05-10-12, 12:22 PM
PMINTY
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus can further push the envelope to compete with BMW, Mercedes, Audi by adding serious performance enhancements to their vehicles, partner with Tommy Kaira, TRD, Sard, Mine's, Pheonix SPL or whichever tuning house to make a legitimate run. Once a variety of engines are available they will be right there competing with the German manufacturers. Let's face it they have the money they have the know-how, just do it!
Old 05-10-12, 12:32 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kingdavid
I don't think the F is looked on with the same reverence as BMW looks at M. Though M cars make up only a fraction of the care BMW sells they are where BMW makes its money. Every BMW driver wants to drive an M even the suv drivers, just ask them.
Personally I don't want to drive an is-f. Mostly because theyre butt ugly, but also because for a similar price I could have an m-3 which is still slapping the is-f around. Lexus can't make the itself the "alternative" choice, it needs to make itself the OBVIOUS choice.
I'm praying Lexus learned from the 335 debacle and is waiting for BMW to drop its new model 3 series before dropping it's own with better everything. I think that's Lexus' chance, otherwise it will become "coulda been" who had a shot at the title but couldn't go three rounds
Yeah, I personally think E90 is uglier too. E92 is okay, but no where better than IS-F in term of interior and exterior design. Did you know IS-F got revived suspension and run very close to current M3. If a guy in IS-F is a better driver than you in M3, he will slap your M3 around. Driving at AutoX or track is not 100% car, it's a combination of car and driver.
I think Lexus has everything planned out for what IS-F should be long time ago. They are just testing the prototype before final stage. Who would have waited till last minute the design or revised a car?
Old 05-10-12, 12:34 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by Wallie3145
Image wise there is no difference between a Lexus and a Toyota. They are both boring cars to drive.
thats why you have what they call modding. no car is made to fit everyones taste

Quick Reply: Lexus Distances Itself from Toyota