Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

And the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8's 'Ring time is...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 03:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

looks like the gcc was never designed to be able to copy with that elk test, which simulates 4 adults i think taking an evasive s turn at 43mph, is that about right?

don't know why they compare it to station wagons though that are nowhere near as tall, plus it sure looks like they're going slower than the chrysler.

but the tires blowing out is downright scary chrysler needs to take this VERY seriously, and address it. they CAN turn lemons into lemonade here... but they might need magnetorheological shocks to improve things!
Old 08-05-12, 04:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like the gcc was never designed to be able to copy with that elk test, which simulates 4 adults i think taking an evasive s turn at 43mph, is that about right?

don't know why they compare it to station wagons though that are nowhere near as tall, plus it sure looks like they're going slower than the chrysler.

but the tires blowing out is downright scary chrysler needs to take this VERY seriously, and address it. they CAN turn lemons into lemonade here... but they might need magnetorheological shocks to improve things!
solution to elk test is stronger ESC intervention, not that complicated actually.
Old 08-05-12, 05:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am impressed that the car finished the ring without falling apart.
Old 08-13-12, 12:43 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

why does the tire pop?
Old 08-13-12, 01:48 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
And the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8's 'Ring time is... Irrelevant?
Yup, for 99% of the people that buy them it is. It's an SUV with a big engine FFS, it's not a canyon carver.

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
why does the tire pop?
Same reason the car failed the Moose test, the one they tested was grossly overloaded. Grossly overload any SUV and it'll do naughty things.

I've driven the 2011+ Grand Cherokees quite a bit, had an 11 Overland for about a week and once had to make a serious evasive move with it at around 70, to the point where I figured it was a matter of head on collision or go off the road into the grass and hope for the best. Managed not to lose it and kept it under control, I was shocked; I seriously figured that I was going to wreck it. I was on a 2 lane in Pennsylvania coming back from Manheim Auto Auction and some schmuck was passing an oncoming car and I was about to hit him head on. I swerved, got 2 wheels on the gravel/dirt and still recovered.

It is what it is, an SUV. It's, IMO, a very very good SUV for its' class, but it's not an X5 or Range Rover SC or something like that.

I've driven an X5 M, it'll kick the SRT8 Grand Cherokee's butt. And for darn close to $100k it ought to. Think we have 2 SRT8 GCs in stock and we only order them loaded, they sticker at a hair over $62k last I paid attention.
Old 08-13-12, 02:11 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
Yup, for 99% of the people that buy them it is. It's an SUV with a big engine FFS, it's not a canyon carver.

Same reason the car failed the Moose test, the one they tested was grossly overloaded. Grossly overload any SUV and it'll do naughty things.
OK so its not clear what they did with the test, seems like they loaded to the max payload the sticker says.. they put some passengers and then use sand bags in the cargo area to reach the gross weight?

Then Chryler come in and tell them to load it a bit less and it does not hop the front as much, but then it started to pop tire?

still, what would really happen with 4 passengers, some luggage and a roof box with more cargo up top?
Old 08-13-12, 02:14 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This Chrysler turd continues to amuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFL...layer_embedded
omg what a piece of ****. VW/Volvo should use this video in their commercials
Old 08-13-12, 02:47 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
OK so its not clear what they did with the test, seems like they loaded to the max payload the sticker says.. they put some passengers and then use sand bags in the cargo area to reach the gross weight?

Then Chryler come in and tell them to load it a bit less and it does not hop the front as much, but then it started to pop tire?

still, what would really happen with 4 passengers, some luggage and a roof box with more cargo up top?
No,

They overloaded it by something silly like a thousand pounds OVER max payload, which is 2,030 lbs. Even at maximum payload the Grand Cherokee passes the test: The press release that we saw at work from Chrysler claimed that at 2000lbs payload it passed with flying colors, that the original load in the test was 400kg over max payload.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/29/2...an-moose-test/

It's like taking an S rated tire and cruising along at 168mph, or taking a Grand Cherokee V6 4X4 and towing 4 tons with it; something is going to go kaboom.

Say I took my GS350 and put, oh I dunno, a ton and a half of stuff inside the passenger cabin, and then I couldn't stop the thing and rear ended a truck, smashed my head apart and died. Would that make my Lexus a POS?

Last edited by rld14; 08-13-12 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 04:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 sc400
and the jeep grand cherokee srt8's 'ring time is... Irrelevant?
+1...................

Originally Posted by rld14
No,

They overloaded it by something silly like a thousand pounds OVER max payload, which is 2,030 lbs. Even at maximum payload the Grand Cherokee passes the test: The press release that we saw at work from Chrysler claimed that at 2000lbs payload it passed with flying colors, that the original load in the test was 400kg over max payload.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/29/2...an-moose-test/

It's like taking an S rated tire and cruising along at 168mph, or taking a Grand Cherokee V6 4X4 and towing 4 tons with it; something is going to go kaboom.

Say I took my GS350 and put, oh I dunno, a ton and a half of stuff inside the passenger cabin, and then I couldn't stop the thing and rear ended a truck, smashed my head apart and died. Would that make my Lexus a POS?
nice post.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-14-12 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 12:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Moose Test Redone - JGC Passes

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/02/u...se-test-video/