Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT-Entry Level Sport sedan comparo (someone impersonating me there)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 02:14 PM
LexFather

Talking MT-Entry Level Sport sedan comparo (someone impersonating me there)

Wow this is pretty lame. Got a call that Someone is impersonating me on MT forum with the name "1SICKEX" trolling the comments. That is not me. Someone needs a life. I am really flattered someone took the time to do that.

Wow.

Anywhoo.....

(edit, got in contact with MT, they banned the fake account, great work MT!,
edit 2, person re-signed up as 1sicklex. with a period, MT banned/deleted the account and the asshat that joined to make personal commentary, can't say enough good things about MT right now)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...an_comparison/

1. BMW 328i Sport Line
2. Volvo S60 T5
3. Mercedes-Benz C250
4. Audi A4 Quattro
5. Lexus IS250 F-Sport
6. Acura TSX V6
7. Infiniti G25
8. Buick Regal GS

They bash the Buick and Infiniti pretty badly, this is the first time a TSX has been included in this kind of group.

The IS actually had very good remarks considering its 5th place finish if you read below. They liked the drive, style and it didn't feel old but the powertrain was behind some of the leaders, which is fair.

The Germans dominate and it seems like a solid. A couple of misses I don't understand but overall not a bad comparo. Volvo has to be happy here.

5TH PLACE: 2011 Lexus IS 250 F-Sport
Old? Who You Calling Old?
By: Rory Jurnecka

Click to view Gallery
The Lexus IS 250 was the very definition of an underdog when it knocked on the door of our little entry-level luxury-car party. Having made its production debut at the 2005 (think White Sox winning the World Series) New York auto show, the second-generation IS can't help but look, feel, and seem a little dated. Its 204 hp and 185 lb-ft is light for a modern small-displacement turbocharged four-cylinder motor, let alone the 2.5-liter V-6 the IS 250 has stashed under its hood. The six-speed automatic used to be state-of-the-art with its sport mode and paddle shifters, but today half the cars in this comparison have seven- and eight-speed gearboxes. So where does that leave a nearly 7-year-old sport sedan?

Surprisingly, solidly mid-pack is the answer. Truth is, especially compared with the older-by-a-year Infiniti G, the Lexus still feels like it's a viable purchase. Our impressions were no doubt bolstered by our tester's optional F-Sport package. With its unique sport seats, leather-covered steering wheel, firmer suspension, 18-inch wheels, and grippy Bridgestones, the IS seemed to punch above its weight in the smiles-per-mile category. "Lexus has the bones of a good sport sedan here," said Evans. "The chassis is solid and composed, the handling is good, and it grips well."

Click to view Gallery
We were also impressed with its style. The interior is trimmed out nicely, with the comfy Alcantara-covered, big-bolstered seats holding occupants in place on the twistier stretch of our drive loop. With the exception of the somewhat plasticky, dated center stack, the majority of the interior "still feels luxurious and upscale," to quote Kiino. The exterior design has fared equally well over time, due in part to a mid-cycle refresh a couple years back, and still manages to be eye-catching (especially in F-Sport trim). Adds Lieberman, "Compared with that new squished-spindle Lexus snout, this thing is gorgeous."

Complaints? We had a few, and most were to do with the most outdated part of the car: the powertrain. While the V-6 revs out smoothly enough, it is underpowered amongst its competitive set. We found ourselves wishing for at least another 50 lb-ft of torque to help push the relatively light IS along. We also found the shift paddles somewhat less responsive than those in most of the competition. Rear seat room wasn't impressive, and the $41,214 as-tested price seemed a bit steep, considering the car's age. That said, we know there's a new IS in the works. If it builds on the lessons Lexus should have learned from this iteration, we can't wait to drive it.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1oHZDx4RE

Last edited by LexFather; 03-07-12 at 02:39 PM.

Old 03-05-12, 02:38 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree the write up on the IS is quite fair and like them I too am looking forward to seeing what the 3IS has in store for us!

As for the impersonator I read the comments and WOW!! You have to just shake your head. She sounds more like an angry 1SICKEXGIRLFRIEND who is truly sadden by you being off the market.

Last edited by TripleL; 03-05-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 02:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

this is why I ended up buying IS220d instead of 2009 A4 that i looked at for 3 months. Even today, IS is simply class above and more luxurious car. A4 doesnt feel like luxury once you are inside and not simply looking at pics.
Old 03-05-12, 02:42 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's been said and written many times that the IS has aged well and I agree.
I also think the Nissan ZX 300 still looks pretty nice today.
Old 03-05-12, 02:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
It's been said and written many times that the IS has aged well and I agree.
I also think the Nissan ZX 300 still looks pretty nice today.
looking at 2012 3 series pics, and it taken as clear winner, i think new IS will do really well when released. Only problem might be the space at the back and trunk as it is going to be smaller car of the bunch tested there.

but i dont doubt for a second, that next gen IS will have most leather and wood in the interior of them all. I like my semi-aniline in "old" IS.
Old 03-05-12, 02:57 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very pleased to see the Volvo S60 finish near the top. The car is stunning inside and out and it's great to see it get some well deserve accolades.

The Japanese makes got owned here - but that's to be expected when all of them...especially Infiniti and Lexus were fielding outdated models on the verge of redesigns. They were extra hard on the Infiniti which is still a little surprising - but I'm not a fan of the G25. The TSX may be goner in Acura's line - allowing the TL to assume duty in this field again.

Also while they were testing the low end models of each car in the comparo, the pricing disparity is crazy. $50k for the new 3 series. You could easily put that up against the G37 and IS350.

It will be interesting to see how the Cadillac ATS fares in this lot.

And it was apparent that the 1sicklex posting in the comment section was an imposter. The real one is far more suave in his trolling.
Old 03-05-12, 03:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TripleL
I agree the write up on the IS is quite fair and like them I too am looking forward to seeing what the 3IS has in store for us!

As for the impersonator I read the comments and WOW!! You have to just shake your head. She sounds more like an angry 1SICKEXGIRLFRIEND who is truly sadden by you being off the market.
Some of the biggest *****es are males

Name:  Zjwo4.gif
Views: 3
Size:  1.35 MB

Originally Posted by Guy Legend

And it was apparent that the 1sicklex posting in the comment section was an imposter. The real one is a far more suave in his trolling.
Thank you I mean if they are going to impersonate me, get it right. Something like "MT is reading for the bathroom" is more my style.

Old 03-05-12, 03:13 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't bother reading the review.

Why?

Because Motor Trend probably drove them like they stole them and pushed these cars to their limits and then picked the best-handling and possibly the quickest car. Kinda boring, don't you think?

I represent pretty much the average shopper in this class. All I want is a nice and comfortable car to get me around. FWD, AWD or RWD? I don't care. 0-60? I don't care (all of them are already fast cars). Track performance? I really could care less. What matters to me is how comfortable they are, the interior space and maybe the kind of features they have (or don't have). Everything else is highly subjective. Design, performance, even their sporting or comfort qualities are subjective issues. To me a 0-60 time of say ten seconds is more than adequate in daily driving. To me that's "quick". Not fast, but quick. To someone else it is dog slow.

This might be hard to believe for Motor Trend but at the end of the day all cars in this test are winners. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but they're generally great cars. Some are sportier than others. So what? A buyer who places a little more emphasis on sport knows what to get then. Big deal. That's the best car for him, but not for me.

I just don't like the way magazines review cars these days. It's all about performance and handling. Hell, even SUVs and minivans are thrown unto a track and told to perform. It's pathetic. Seriously.
Old 03-05-12, 03:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow this is pretty lame. Got a call that Someone is impersonating me on MT forum with the name "1SICKEX" trolling the comments. That is not me.
according to the link, that's "1SlCKLEX " not 1SICKEX, but either way, definitely lame! that loser says the is250 should be compared to the 335i and the is350 beats the m3 - mmkay.

back to the article though, they didn't want to like the bmw, but in the end... "In full, glaring, retina-searing contrast, this BMW wins this competition because it does everything better than the rest. For now, all the competition can do is head back to their drawing boards."
Old 03-05-12, 03:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
looking at 2012 3 series pics, and it taken as clear winner, i think new IS will do really well when released. Only problem might be the space at the back and trunk as it is going to be smaller car of the bunch tested there.

but i dont doubt for a second, that next gen IS will have most leather and wood in the interior of them all. I like my semi-aniline in "old" IS.

The 3 Series is a nice car.
I think the 3IS will be bigger for better rear seat room.I love wood trim and hope it has it,.

My '10 has semi aniline leather.It's part of the Luxury Plus Pkg.Doesn't seem much different.
Old 03-05-12, 03:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
according to the link, that's "1SlCKLEX " not 1SICKEX, but either way, definitely lame! that loser says the is250 should be compared to the 335i and the is350 beats the m3 - mmkay.

back to the article though, they didn't want to like the bmw, but in the end... "In full, glaring, retina-searing contrast, this BMW wins this competition because it does everything better than the rest. For now, all the competition can do is head back to their drawing boards."

Old 03-05-12, 03:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
I didn't bother reading the review.

Why?

Because Motor Trend probably drove them like they stole them and pushed these cars to their limits and then picked the best-handling and possibly the quickest car. Kinda boring, don't you think?

I represent pretty much the average shopper in this class. All I want is a nice and comfortable car to get me around. FWD, AWD or RWD? I don't care. 0-60? I don't care (all of them are already fast cars). Track performance? I really could care less. What matters to me is how comfortable they are, the interior space and maybe the kind of features they have (or don't have). Everything else is highly subjective. Design, performance, even their sporting or comfort qualities are subjective issues. To me a 0-60 time of say ten seconds is more than adequate in daily driving. To me that's "quick". Not fast, but quick. To someone else it is dog slow.

This might be hard to believe for Motor Trend but at the end of the day all cars in this test are winners. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but they're generally great cars. Some are sportier than others. So what? A buyer who places a little more emphasis on sport knows what to get then. Big deal. That's the best car for him, but not for me.

I just don't like the way magazines review cars these days. It's all about performance and handling. Hell, even SUVs and minivans are thrown unto a track and told to perform. It's pathetic. Seriously.
then why did you buy that BMW? It makes little sense. Little features, little space, little comfort :-).
Old 03-05-12, 03:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

MT didnt want to like the new BMW? Right.
Old 03-05-12, 04:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The 3 Series is a nice car.
I think the 3IS will be bigger for better rear seat room.I love wood trim and hope it has it,.

My '10 has semi aniline leather.It's part of the Luxury Plus Pkg.Doesn't seem much different.
Touch your semi-aniline and then touch Audi and BMW leather :-).

I am sure 3 series is a great car, every review says so... I am also sure that new IS will be more luxurious car.

Hopefully they manage to increase the interior space without enlarging the car too much. I dont really need it much bigger than 2IS.
Old 03-05-12, 04:05 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Touch your semi-aniline and then touch Audi and BMW leather :-).

I am sure 3 series is a great car, every review says so... I am also sure that new IS will be more luxurious car.

Hopefully they manage to increase the interior space without enlarging the car too much. I dont really need it much bigger than 2IS.

I owned a '09 335i with leather and yes,you're better off not getting the leather option and stay with leatherette.
I meant I can't tell the difference with the leather in a ES350 I owned which wasn't semi- aniline.The UL option has semi-aniline.
I"m guessing the 3IS will be 2"-3" longer.I wouldn't mind.I would think the IS250 gets a bump in power.

Quick Reply: MT-Entry Level Sport sedan comparo (someone impersonating me there)