Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Says "No" To Entry Level Cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 06:51 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Lets face it folks, where is the Prestiege in the brand, if any kid out of high school can afford one? Lexus is about prestige, it always has been. Subtle, understated, classic luxury. People who dont want to be flashy about their money, get an LS, people who have money and want to go fast with some luxury, get an IS-F, there is literally something for everyone already, so why drop the money on R&D for making a 20k car, that might actually KILL the brand's reputation?
Old 02-26-12, 09:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I agree with most here. A car slotting below the CT would upset everything Lexus has established as a brand. True luxury will always cost extra pennies.

Or you could look at it this way... Mercedes and BMW don't really have a strong step child to use to peddle cars. Lexus has Toyota to use. So having the 1 series and B class makes sense.
Old 02-27-12, 08:42 PM
LexFather

And another thing the CT has many features standard and optional very befitting of a luxury car and even has features/options many luxury cars/brands don't even have. So its really appropriate. Its not like its just a hatchback with leather, 8 speaker stereo and NAV. There are good ways to go downmarket and bad ones.

It does seem the new A/B class, A1, etc are well done even though they might fight Toyotas.

Old 02-27-12, 09:47 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Germans going below the CT is clearly due to needing more volume and getting people in the brand earlier than ever before as well as fighting fuel prices etc.
The other reason the Germans are going cheap and downmarket is so that they can game the Euro mpg and emissions regulations. They're able to game the system because the regulations are based on weighted fleet-wide averages. Cheapening their brand by introducing inexpensive sub-luxury models is the easiest (and most meaningless) way to achieve lower averages, as they can effectively lower their average emissions/mpg without making any substantive changes to the rest of their fleet.

It is obvious that the Germans will do whatever it takes to meet Euro standards so cheapening their brands should not be surprising. Personally, I find those changes much less significant than other emissions/mpg-related changes, such as BMW recently moving away from naturally-aspirated engines or Porsche using electronic steering in the new 911 - I consider these to be nothing more than the current leadership spitting on the history of their own companies, if not outright sacrilege.

If these ridiculous government-legislated restrictions are a factor in why Lexus is reluctant to focus on the European market, then good. Lexus is better off without that influence.

Last edited by gengar; 02-29-12 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-27-12, 10:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Editor

This is fine and all, but I can't help but feel like this means they're simply not going to make small cars. I can understand keeping the prices up, but why not a have a luxurious small car? Hell, stretch the FR-S platform and call it the SC 200. That would at least round out their bottom rung without pandering to the slovenly masses who can't afford an IS.
But that cheapens the brand...a luxury brand. If an IS or CT is not in one's budget, they have no business shopping for a car they cannot afford. That's where Toyota and Scion come into play. Also the pre owned market has done wonders for a large majority here on CL.
Old 02-27-12, 10:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am happy with their decision. In fact I think cars like the HS and the CT need to be cut ASAP. Luxury car manufacturers should make luxury cars
Old 02-27-12, 10:35 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the IS250 an Entry car?
Old 02-27-12, 10:37 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IB Editor
This is fine and all, but I can't help but feel like this means they're simply not going to make small cars. I can understand keeping the prices up, but why not a have a luxurious small car? Hell, stretch the FR-S platform and call it the SC 200. That would at least round out their bottom rung without pandering to the slovenly masses who can't afford an IS.
i don't think saying "no" to entry level cars necessarily means Lexus won't have any small car period. Sure it might mean Lexus would not have a sub-CT hatch-type car like the A1, but i'm still holding out hope that Lexus would one day have some kind of small 2-door coupe/roadster akin to the Z, TT, SLK. Those cars are small but cost more than the respective brand's entry level sports sedan and aren't really considered 'entry level' per se. If Lexus is willing, the FR-S platform would be a good place to start, i think.

Last edited by raptor22; 02-27-12 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 01:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The other reason the Germans are going cheap and downmarket is so that they can game the Euro mpg and emissions regulations. They're able to game the system because the regulations are based on weighted fleet-wide averages. Cheapening their brand by introducing inexpensive sub-luxury models is the easiest (and most meaningless) way to achieve lower averages, as they can effectively lower their average emissions/mpg without making any substantive changes to their rest of the fleet.

It is obvious that the Germans will do whatever it takes to meet Euro standards so cheapening their brands should not be surprising. Personally, I find those changes much less significant than other emissions/mpg-related changes, such as BMW recently moving away from naturally-aspirated engines or Porsche using electronic steering in the new 911 - I consider these to be nothing more than the current leadership spitting on the history of their own companies, if not outright sacrilege.

If these ridiculous government-legislated restrictions are a factor in why Lexus is reluctant to focus on the European market, then good. Lexus is better off without that influence.
it is mostly to make money and greater volumes... BMW and MB need bigger volumes to compete better.
VW/Audi is just trying to make more money :-)
Old 02-28-12, 05:58 AM
dirtyjohn
Driver School Candidate

As stated above, I think Scion/Toyota are considered the 'entry' level cars. I don't think it would be good to eat the market share of their other brands.
Old 02-28-12, 07:00 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dirtyjohn
As stated above, I think Scion/Toyota are considered the 'entry' level cars. I don't think it would be good to eat the market share of their other brands.
I tend to agree
Old 02-28-12, 07:27 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexus already has an "entry level" car, it's called a Toyota. While several Toyota lines can be optioned up to near-Lexus content (and price), building a Lexus "down" to the Toyota market would only confuse the marketing of the brand. Physical size has nothing to do with luxury. The IS is a small car, at least for me, as it is actually smaller inside than a Civic - but it is a legitimate luxury car. If I were able to perform the human origami required to get my 6'4"/320 lbs into it, I'd be first in line for one.
Old 02-28-12, 08:34 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally agree, leave the entry level cars to Toyota...
Old 02-28-12, 05:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

We shall see how Buick does, given that they have smaller, cheap offerings. While I, probably a lot members here, would never buy a $22k Buick based off of a Cruze, a $25k Lexus offering would surely grab a few.

The other reality is that Americans are looking for smaller cars, like in Europe. Not in huge numbers, but look where gas is headed. So Fiat, and Mini/BMW, and MB/Smart can benefit, having smaller cars to offer. Lexus? Well, you're kidding yourself if you think that anyone is cross shopping a Scion and a Lexus.

Last edited by SLegacy99; 02-28-12 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-28-12, 06:23 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When America first started building "economy" cars to compete with Volkswagen, Renault and the Volvo of the 1960's they came hard upon the first reality of building smaller cars: just building them smaller doesn't in itself make them cheaper. They aren't that much cheaper to build than a "full size" car. Maybe they require a smaller amount of raw materials, but the engineering and manufacturing process is the same, whatever the size of the car you are building. From an automaker's standpoint, there isn't as much difference as you'd think between a Civic and a Cadillac - other than a several hundred pounds of steel. That's the cheap part. It's what you do with that material that makes the difference. It has to be bent, punched, formed, welded, assembled and finished in exactly the same way. At the same time, there is no real benefit in a "handmade" car other than the cachet. Industrial robots are capable of holding finer tolerances than human hands anyway. The difference is in inspection and QC.

Obviously, everyone wants to build a quality car that's reliable (to minimize costly warranty work) and is appropriately featured and priced to a mass market. No one benefits in the long run from a poorly designed or a shoddily-built car, you have a reputation at stake that will have a direct impact on sales. (Witness Yugo) With all of the federal standards cars must meet today, there is little opportunity to manufacture something that is truly dangerous on the American road. Where do you think all of the Renault 2CV's and Fiat 500's went? Even the original VW Beetle, as good as it was, was legislated out of existence because it could never meet increasingly stringent crash standards.

Why then does a Scion sell for that much less than a Lexus IS? Certainly there are some differences in materials cost, and with a longer manufacturing cycle, the Lexus is more labor-intensive, but does it actually double the cost of the product? Well, not until you add marketing and sales costs. I don't know about your market area, but my Kia shop's waiting room doesn't offer lattes and biscotti.

Quick Reply: Lexus Says "No" To Entry Level Cars