Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche gives Macan name to new small sport utility

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 08:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Porsche gives Macan name to new small sport utility

Porsche gives Macan name to new small sport utility

Don't call it the Cajun anymore. Porsche has officially announced the company's upcoming small sport utility vehicle will be called the Macan. As with the vehicle's larger brother, the Cayenne, the Porsche Macan will blend the seemingly incongruous worlds of tall-riding off roaders and low-slung sports cars with performance to match.

The Macan is the latest effort in Porsche's plan to expand its portfolio by 2018. While true purists may once again cry foul at the notion of another non-sports car with the Porsche shield on the hood, something tells us this Porsche will meet with far less skepticism this time around. The Cayenne and the Panamera have proven Porsche can successfully expand into segments beyond sports coupes without sacrificing its core principles. The Macan is likely to toe that line as well.

From what we've seen, the Macan will arrive on the same chassis as the Audi Q5, though with suspension, brake and engine tweaks suitable to the Porsche range. Rumors have also hinted toward both hybrid and three-door iterations as well.

The automotive world has been mistakenly calling the upcoming baby Porsche the Cajun for more than a year after Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn mentioned the name in an interview

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gCrZfR2aaRk

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/16/p...ility-w-video/
Old 02-16-12, 09:11 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Macan > Cajun.
Old 02-16-12, 09:22 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Macan = mmm bacon?
Old 02-16-12, 10:11 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribed!!

I'm a big Cayenne fan, and I have a feeling this one might turn out to be more of the same in a more city friendly size. (crosses fingers)
Old 02-16-12, 10:15 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cayenne already seems small to me, and this is smaller
Old 02-16-12, 11:40 AM
LexFather

Honestly hate the name and the thought of a smaller badge engineered SUV for Porsche is exactly why many Porsche owners didn't want VW in control.

Old 02-16-12, 01:30 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Rumors have also hinted toward both hybrid and three-door iterations as well.
i didn't think the Cayenne is that big to begin with, but anywho a possible 3-door version Hope it'll be true, love the Evoque 3-door, this would be awesome with performance to boot.
Old 02-16-12, 01:33 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by raptor22
i didn't think the Cayenne is that big to begin with, but anywho a possible 3-door version Hope it'll be true, love the Evoque 3-door, this would be awesome with performance to boot.
I think the Evoque 3-door is a huge waste of money. You're spending $50k for a FWD hatch. To each their own but you can buy something with much more performance and utility for $50k than the Evoque. I understand brands need to expand to meet CAFE standards and the like but this seems like a super niche vehicle.

Someone at my company has one. It looks awesome but I'm not impressed by the features for the price.
Old 02-16-12, 02:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

this new name is more lame than the last. WOW!!
Old 02-16-12, 02:14 PM
Hoovey689

Macan reminds me of Pecan lol. regardless of the name, I think it may be one of the sportiest and best handling SUVs when it bows. I'm guessing the 300hp 3.6L V6 will be on of the engines, and I would start saving my pennies if they could shoehorn the 400hp V8 in there
Old 02-16-12, 02:49 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Just watch, all of you guys making fun of the "Pecan" will be wanting one when you find out it performs like a 911.

(It's okay, I'll be in the same boat)
Old 04-17-12, 10:24 AM
Hoovey689

Default Porsche Macan to get 370-horsepower turbo model?

Porsche Macan to get 370-horsepower turbo model?

Rumor has it Porsche may produce a performance version of the upcoming Macan. Autocar reports the German manufacturer is working on a Macan Turbo that may be good for as much as 370 horsepower thanks to an all-new twin-turbo V6 engine. The article suggests the 3.0-liter mill will borrow heavily from the 3.6-liter unit found in the base Panamera and Cayenne. That would mean the cylinders will be arranged in a 90-dergree V configuration. Torque output would likely be in the neighborhood of 400 pound-feet.

Autocar also hints that the vehicle will be available with either a seven-speed PDK gearbox or a new seven-speed manual transmission converted from the piece found in the 911. We certainly like the idea of a row-your-own crossover, but we're not entirely sure how that will work given that the Macan rides on the Volkswagen large front-wheel drive platform. Even with a Torsen differential shuttling power to the rear wheels, that's a significantly different configuration than the company's rear-engine sports car.

Of course, all of these whispers come without so much as a hint of a source attached to them, so it remains to be seen exactly how much is true. Look for the Macan to touch down in October.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/17/p...r-turbo-model/
Old 04-17-12, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Honestly hate the name and the thought of a smaller badge engineered SUV for Porsche is exactly why many Porsche owners didn't want VW in control.
They didn't want the original Cayenne produced, either, but, like it or not, that vehicle (and the Boxster) went a long way towards keeping Porsche's above water. I have to admit that, back then, I was also wrong about the Cayenne. I made comments about Dr. Ferdinand rolling over in his grave, and that I didn't think it would sell. Well, it did sell, and, of course, made Porsche a fair amount of money. The SUV craze is so strong nowadays that they can seemingly sell under almost any nameplate. Even Bentley and Aston-Martin have considered SUVs.
Old 04-17-12, 12:09 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds good to me. Bring it on!
Old 04-17-12, 01:29 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
They didn't want the original Cayenne produced, either, but, like it or not, that vehicle (and the Boxster) went a long way towards keeping Porsche's above water. I have to admit that, back then, I was also wrong about the Cayenne. I made comments about Dr. Ferdinand rolling over in his grave, and that I didn't think it would sell. Well, it did sell, and, of course, made Porsche a fair amount of money. The SUV craze is so strong nowadays that they can seemingly sell under almost any nameplate. Even Bentley and Aston-Martin have considered SUVs.
and Maserati

Quick Reply: Porsche gives Macan name to new small sport utility