Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac says 'no' to XTS-V, considers larger flagship

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 03:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I fully agree, Hoovey.........I've mentioned this myself, a number of times. But the main problem was (and I don't know if you remember it) that, in the mid-1990s, GM wanted more factory-space to satisfy the then-exploding demand for trucks and SUVs. To get it, they sacrificed the Chevy Caprice/Buick Roadmaster/Cadillac Fleetwoods built at the Arlington, TX plant to convert the plant to those trucks and SUVs. In doing so, of course, they also lost the police/taxi-market for the Caprice and the limo-market for the Fleetwood.

But before you shed too many tears for the demise of those big RWD cars, consider that, except for the durability of the body-on-frame design, those cars, in general, were, IMO, not well-built. Not only was overall fit/finish quite poor, with cheap-materials, but a lot of their hardware tended to squeak/rattle, work loose, and come off. That's primarily why, even though I liked their smooth rides and low noise-levels, I did not buy one myself. And, more-so than with the Caprice and Fleetwood, the Roadmaster's handling and body-roll was so sloppy that even I, who doesn't mind some float, couldn't stand it. I found it borderline-dangerous on all but straight-roads and gentle-cornering.....anything more would squeal the tires like a stuck-pig.
Didn't know that thanks for the history lesson

Promise not to cry too much lol. No doubt there were issues with these large RWD sedans from GM, especially 15 years ago even up until recently. Although I'd still be hesitant to buy a GM product, the revamped Chevy's, Buick's, and Cadillac's makes me believe that they could engineer and manufacture a reliable full-size RWD car today. Just wish they would give it another shot instead of making niche products (like the XTS). I'd rather see a full line-up to compete with the likes of BMW, MBZ, and Lexus with their winning formulas than chasing special premium brands like Acura, Lincoln, Infiniti, and Volvo.
Old 05-10-12, 10:39 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Update

Cadillac has done well with GM’s Sigma platform. The rear-drive architecture has served under two generations of CTS, the passable if somewhat mundane STS, and Caddy’s first crossover, the original SRX. That said, the bones were altered—some feel compromised—to accommodate the now-defunct hulk known as the Northstar V-8, and ended up being far from cost-effective. Also, unlike the majority of GM’s platforms, Sigma has a relatively limited size bandwidth, as demonstrated by the dimensional similarities between the CTS and STS, and even the STS’s long-wheelbase sibling, the Chinese-built SLS. With the STS dead, the SRX now shifted to front-wheel-drive underpinnings, and the next-generation CTS migrating to the General’s new, highly versatile, and lighter Alpha platform, Sigma’s days are numbered.

Cue “The Imperial March”

Although the Alpha platform appears to be one of the best rear-wheel-drive component sets in the business, GM still recognized a need for an additional, larger RWD platform for the oft-rumored apocryphal “Cadillac flagship,” among other vehicles. Early thoughts for the kingly ride ranged from an eye-wateringly expensive model on a bespoke architecture (think Rolls-Royce Phantom) to a kind of monster sedan spun from the original Zeta platform (think widened Chevrolet Caprice cop car with a longer wheelbase). It seems the smart guys in the room prevailed and a middle-ground solution was devised: the Omega platform.

As platforms go, the Omega is as “all-new” as anybody is doing these days. Sure, most of the drivetrain equipment will be shared with other GM rear-drive cars and the rear-suspension geometry is intellectually related to that of Alpha, but there is no real commonality with the smaller platform beyond the way it all goes together in a plant. While Alpha is good for cars and crossovers ranging in size from something slightly smaller than the current BMW 3-series to a vehicle a bit larger than a 5-series, Omega moves up from there. At the bottom of its scale you could build a wider 5-series, while its upper bounds are said to be a vehicle measuring around 207 inches in length bumper-to-bumper (a couple of inches longer than a long-wheelbase 7).

The 1st product off the platform is a lineup-crowning successor to the still-to-be-introduced Epsilon-derived XTS. (This is not the flagship-y flagship.) Yep, a proper rear-drive sedan will supplant—if not completely replace—the XTS at the top of Cadillac’s offerings in about 2 and a half years; it will have the fast roofline currently applied to everything from the latest Ford Fusion to the Audi A7. In not-surprising news, the General’s 3.6-liter “high-feature” DOHC V-6—making around 310 hp—is expected to be the standard engine. A low-pressure, torque-biased take on the twin-turbo version of that engine—currently being prepped for the ATS-V, as we reported last May—could be plugged in as an alternative to the currently planned optional powerplant, the new-gen Tonawanda, New York–built “mystery” V-8. Regardless of powerplant, drive will be transmitted to the wheels through an all-new 8-speed automatic that also will find its way into the CTS, the ATS, and some GM trucks. While the default powertrain will be rear-drive, all-wheel drive will be offered to make sure the Omegas can be sold year-round in the Snow Belt, Rockies, and Pacific Northwest. With GM’s longitudinal dual-mode hybrid technology presently tied to a long-in-the-tooth four-speed automatic, there are rumblings the system will be reconfigured with the upcoming 8-speed. Although it is unclear if a hybrid is planned for the 1st Omega product, the platform has been designed to accommodate the batteries and ancillary bits of GM’s gas-electric systems.

The Void is Calling: Let’s Do the Flagship (Talk) Again

Of course, Omega won’t be used for a single model. When laying out the platform, the company designed it so that it could serve as the basis for a properly huge, properly sybaritic Cadillac flagship. This favorite of automotive journalists and bloggers has been rumored for years; its origins can be traced to the striking yet somehow comical Cadillac Sixteen concept. The division telegraphed its continued interest in building an über-Caddy last summer when it rolled out the Cadillac Ciel 4-door convertible at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. (Here’s what the Ciel would look like as a sedan; pretty cool, right?) Whether the flagship ends up being a 4-door sedan, a big 2- or 4-door convertible, or a large, Mercedes CL–fighting coupe, it’ll be underpinned by Omega. Aside from the issue of the program’s approval, the biggest conundrum around the flagship program is the question of powerplant: Do any of GM’s current mills have the power, refinement, and prestige to do the job, or will the company, say, have to restart development of a 12- or—gasp!—16*-cylinder?

Mo’ ’Mega

Beyond the identified XLS-augmenting sedan, a number of additional Omega derivatives are being discussed. While it’s no surprise that a crossover is at the top of the list, at 1st glance this appears to conflict with Cadillac’s upcoming Lambda crossover. The Lambda-based Cadillac is supposed to complement the Escalade, which is slated to become more of a halo vehicle. And while current Lambda offerings (Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, and Buick Enclave) are essentially as long as a Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, they can in no way be considered a viable alternative to the Suburban-based Escalade EXT. Omega could be used to create a near-Suburban-sized high-end Cadillac crossover. This would be an offering with no counterpart in the luxury arena. Farther down the Omega product list is a coupe that would effectively revive the Eldorado—if not in name, certainly in product position. A long-wheelbase version of the launch sedan is all but a certainty for the back-seat-happy Chinese market, and would make sense for the U.S. if Cadillac decides to position that car against the S-class/7-series/A8 trio of Teutonic sedans.

From a manufacturing standpoint, as mentioned, the aim has been to make Omega completely common from a processing standpoint with the Alpha platform. As a result, we wouldn’t be surprised to see Omega vehicles going down the line alongside the ATS and next-generation CTS at General Motors’ Lansing Grand River assembly plant.

Looking at GM’s current brands and the fact that their rear-drive needs can be serviced by the Zeta II platform, the potential for something other than a Cadillac coming off Omega is highly unlikely. In that respect, Omega is the true successor to the Sigma architecture in that it will be a Caddy exclusive.

Last edited by GS69; 05-10-12 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-10-12, 01:05 PM
Hoovey689

Dew it Cadillac!
Old 05-10-12, 03:41 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Does the Cadillac brand still have enough equity left to command 7 series prices?
Old 05-10-12, 03:46 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwong77
Does the Cadillac brand still have enough equity left to command 7 series prices?
Yes. You'll always have aging baby boomers who refuse to buy anything non-American.
Old 05-10-12, 09:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

a flagship bigger than xts could be the xxts?
Old 05-10-12, 09:47 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Or ZTS or AATS...
Old 05-10-12, 11:48 PM
Hoovey689

The XTS is already 202in. For comparison the CTS is 191in. And the 7-Series is ruffly 199in. The XTS is an interesting vehicle because its base price starts around 45K for a car this size. Now we know the ATS is arriving soon which has confirmed that the next CTS will get bigger and a slightly larger price tag pitting it against the XTS via price. There's still room for a Cadillac flagship. 4 sedans work, just ask Lexus IS, ES, GS, LS. Obviously the XTS being FWD to me at least seams to be their ES albeit instead of being priced like the IS, its closer to the GS.
Old 05-11-12, 01:12 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Caddy execs have said time and again that the XTS is NOT their flagship vehicle. It is the successor to the DTS, that embodiment of "old American" type of luxury. It will likely be more softly sprung than the CTS/ATS and will likely not have seen any development time around the 'Ring. Not having a V performance model of the XTS makes perfect sense.

I think with the intro of the ATS, the slight upsizing of the CTS, and the introduction of what will be a true, RWD, high powered, great handling flagship sedan, Caddy is more focused than ever. They will have models that line up very clearly with their competitors. I hope the flagship will go head to head with the S, 7, and A8 in terms of not just luxury and tech, but also power and handling. And have a V model, too!

I agree with Hoovey2411 that the XTS is "Caddy's ES" that will complement the core line up of the ATS, CTS, and the ??? when it comes out. Much the same way that the ES is to the core Lexus lineup of the IS, GS, LS.
Old 05-11-12, 07:19 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Caddy built the Ciel I would wet my pants. Saw it in Chicago and the thing is gorgeous.
Old 05-11-12, 07:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
Or ZTS or AATS...
um, my post was a joke. you know, like xxl size?
Old 05-11-12, 04:33 PM
Trexus

um, my post was a joke. you know, like xxl size?
Uhh yeah...I knew you were joking and I was playing along with your joke...I was joking as well.

It's hard to understand Cadillac as they seem inconsistent? Since the ATS competes with the BMW 3 Series, Lexus IS, etc...the CTS competes with the BMW 5 Series, Lexus GS, etc...you'd think the XTS would compete with the BMW 7 Series, Lexus LS, etc...

Last edited by Trexus; 05-14-12 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-11-12, 04:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
Uhh yeah...I knew you were joking and I was playing along with your joke...I was joking as well.
ah, no smileys, wasn't sure if serious.

It's hard to understand Cadillac as they seem unconsistent? Since the ATS competes with the BMW 3 Series, Lexus IS, etc...the CTS competes with the BMW 5 Series, Lexus GS, etc...you'd think the XTS would compete with the BMW 7 Series, Lexus LS, etc...
well, not really, as the cts has been is priced but as big as a gs, but there's nothing wrong with not aligning completely with competitors. lexus has the is and es for example, 2 models to fight 3/c etc., and in some ways an es competes with a low end 5 series bought by people not into sporty driving for example (e.g., frankly a lot of females and co. cars).

plus, gm is thinking globally and demans vary around the world. i still find it stunning to think that gm sold more buick veranos in china last month than lexus sold ALL models combined in the u.s.
Old 05-14-12, 12:38 AM
Trexus

ah, no smileys, wasn't sure if serious. :
Yeah, not much of a smiley man...I do use smileys once in awhile but should use them more frequently.

well, not really, as the cts has been is priced but as big as a gs, but there's nothing wrong with not aligning completely with competitors. lexus has the is and es for example, 2 models to fight 3/c etc., and in some ways an es competes with a low end 5 series bought by people not into sporty driving for example (e.g., frankly a lot of females and co. cars).

plus, gm is thinking globally and demans vary around the world. i still find it stunning to think that gm sold more buick veranos in china last month than lexus sold ALL models combined in the u.s.
The XTS is suppose to replace the DTS/STS which were larger vehicles with V8 engines. The XTS has a 3.6 V6 which puts it more on the level of Lexus ES 350, IS 350 and GS 350. So basically the Cadillac ATS, CTS and XTS are closely related on the same level. Sure, GM is thinking globally. I think the big auto manufacturers are thinking global but I'd like to see consistency, structure, focus, forward thinking, etc...
Old 05-14-12, 06:18 AM
deadbolt67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Yes. You'll always have aging baby boomers who refuse to buy anything non-American.
With GM pandering to the Chicoms more and more, this may change.

Quick Reply: Cadillac says 'no' to XTS-V, considers larger flagship