Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 02:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid

"Mild-Mannered Fun At 45 mpg"

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-4797648/

The world doesn't need another automaker claiming to have cracked the code for a fun-to-drive hybrid. The concept hasn't worked particularly well in any application. Just ask Lexus. And Honda. Twice.

Granted, we don't know how Volkswagen plans to pitch the 2013 Jetta Hybrid when it goes on sale this fall. We didn't get a two-hour long marketing presentation and associated PowerPoint. Instead, we snagged the keys while an executive-level engineer droned on about next-gen modular EGR systems and EU4-compliant oxidation catalytic converters.

We needed an escape and the Jetta Hybrid was it.

So maybe it was the sub-zero temps outside the VW pavilion in Wolfsburg, Germany or the chance to do something – anything – to combat the effects of three hours of sleep in 36 hours. But what we found during our all-too-brief drive of the Jetta Hybrid wasn't a cynical engineering-meets-marketing stop-gap, but instead the first compelling alternative to the Toyota Prius.
The Jetta Hybrid made its debut at last month's Detroit Auto Show and – considering everything else clogging the halls at Cobo – it didn't get much interest. That's because it's not that interesting.

The exterior is barely distinguishable from a standard Jetta, although the new front air dam, rear diffuser and spoiler are supposedly good for a 10-percent decrease in the sedan's coefficient of drag. Further boosting efficiency is a set of 15-inch wheels with low-rolling resistance rubber and a grille-mounted VW logo with a blue background – sure to be good for a few fractions of an MPG.

The underlying tech is just as mild-mannered, with a 1.4-liter turbocharged engine putting out 150 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque between 1,400 and 3,500 rpm. Sandwiched between that small-displacement mill and a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox is an electric motor outputting an additional 27 hp (20kW). Unlike VW's first hybrid (the Touareg) that relied on a nickel metal hydride battery pack, the Jetta uses more modern and efficient lithium-ion cells – 60 in total, mounted behind the rear seat backs and weighing less than 80 pounds.

If that doesn't sound like much, that's because it isn't. The batteries only provide 1.1 kWh of juice. Thankfully, that means tonnage has been kept in check, with the whole package adding 221 pounds to the Jetta's curb weight for a total of around 3,300 pounds.

All this adds up to a claimed 45 MPG combined – five MPGs fewer than the Prius, but it's a fair trade.

Out on the drive loop that combined a short burst of autobahn with some residential and industrial driving, the combination of the turbo'd 1.4 and electric motor proved more than adequate to scoot around town and up to freeway speeds. Nail the throttle past the kick-down point and the "power" gauge taking the place of the tachometer swings from zero, passes 10 and moves into the "Boost" section. Thrust is far from overwhelming, but it feels quicker than the claimed nine-second 0-60 mph run. We'd guess something in the low eights or high sevens.

But naturally, the Jetta is more about fuel efficiency and all-electric motoring than outright power. And compared to the Prius, it's even easier to keep things humming without the aid of internal combustion.

While the Prius requires micro-millimeter precise control of the throttle to keep it from clicking over the engine, the Jetta Hybrid prototype would only demand the four-pot's assistance when we flexed our right foot just slightly more than maintenance throttle. Moreover, VW claims you can run the Hybrid up to 44 mph in EV mode and for up to 1.2 miles before the battery is tapped of juice.

Even more impressive is VW's ability to get a much more progressive and compliant braking experience from its regenerative system. Unlike the Prius, which has always been plagued by overly-grabby brakes, the Jetta Hybrid manages to allow more modulation. The only ding is an odd regen sensation when lifting off the brakes – it feels like a strong headwind slowing things down.

Couple the better brakes and highly controllable throttle with the seven-speed DSG – an obvious improvement over CVTs fitted to most hybrids – and VW has a gotten remarkably close to creating a valid contender to the Prius, while not leaving the driving experience out of the equation.

With only a short drive under our belt, that's not a definitive call by any means, but it's an impressive proof of concept that, with the proper pricing (figure around $25k), delivers everything we want in a hybrid, plus something that's been missing: driver engagement.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/07/2...-jetta-hybrid/
Old 02-07-12, 04:23 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

great review/info!

where did they come up with the 1.4 turbo motor ?
I say stick to the 1.8T with 180hp + hybrid tech

or better yet the TDI
Old 02-07-12, 04:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

i have recently been to Euro Jetta, which is supposedly a lot nicer than US one... and what a disappointing experience.

poor fitting of plastics throughout the cabin wasnt the worst part - it is cheap plastics. Complete door (front and back) doesnt have a one ich of nice materials. It is all 2003 Yaris hard as a rock plastic that sounds thin and hollow. There is something that looks like fabric, but i couldnt figure out if it is really poor fabric or plastic made to look like fabric because it had no give, no softness, no sponge.

it was pretty damn bad for the price (which is very high in Europe), so no wonder they dont sell many in Europe. It was also very nicely equipped model.
Old 02-07-12, 04:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
great review/info!

where did they come up with the 1.4 turbo motor ?
I say stick to the 1.8T with 180hp + hybrid tech

or better yet the TDI
1.4T has been around for a while in Europe.

problem with VW hybrids is that they are not as integrated. DSG hybrid sounds good on paper but in real life, it doesnt get anywhere as good mpg. As I mentioned before, Autobild tested 450h vs Q5 hybrid, which had 2.0T + DSG + lion, and it was not only slower, and smaller, it got 25% worse MPG in real life, side by side test. While on the paper, they were supposed to be equal.
Old 02-10-12, 01:27 PM
darrelld
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
1.4T has been around for a while in Europe.

problem with VW hybrids is that they are not as integrated. DSG hybrid sounds good on paper but in real life, it doesnt get anywhere as good mpg. As I mentioned before, Autobild tested 450h vs Q5 hybrid, which had 2.0T + DSG + lion, and it was not only slower, and smaller, it got 25% worse MPG in real life, side by side test. While on the paper, they were supposed to be equal.
When did Audi put a DSG in the Q5 Hybrid? Only version currently in testing is an 8-speed conventional automatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_Q5

Last edited by darrelld; 02-10-12 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-10-12, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darrelld
When did Audi put a DSG in the Q5 Hybrid? Only version currently in testing is an 8-speed conventional automatic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_Q5
then it is 8AT... do you think that makes any difference?
Old 02-10-12, 04:23 PM
darrelld
Driver

then it is 8AT... do you think that makes any difference?
You really don't know the advantages of a dual-clutch transmission over a conventional automatic?
Here are just a couple references for you reading enlightenment.

1.Better fuel economy (up to 15% improvement) than conventional planetary geared automatic transmission (due to lower parasitic losses from oil churning)[5] and for some models with manual transmissions
2.No loss of torque transmission from the engine to the driving wheels during gear shifts
3.Short up-shift time of 8 milliseconds when shifting to a gear the alternate gear shaft has preselected
4.Smooth gear-shift operations
5.Consistent shift time of 600 milliseconds, regardless of throttle or operational mode

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-..._disadvantages
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tech_transmission.shtml
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10863_7...s=0&o=10009562

Last edited by darrelld; 02-10-12 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-10-12, 05:53 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

How about we see a VW Jetta TDI hybrid.
Old 02-10-12, 06:02 PM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by sc-driver
How about we see a VW Jetta TDI hybrid.
Would certainly be a probably with VW combining the two technologies. Audi is currently rolling out an R18 Diesel Hybrid;

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/04/a...racing-progra/

I would think such a combination would be prohibitively expensive in the Jettas market segment. Mercedes is launching a diesel hybrid in Europe.
Old 02-10-12, 08:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

well it's certainly better looking than the pious.
Old 02-11-12, 09:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darrelld
You really don't know the advantages of a dual-clutch transmission over a conventional automatic?
Here are just a couple references for you reading enlightenment.

1.Better fuel economy (up to 15% improvement) than conventional planetary geared automatic transmission (due to lower parasitic losses from oil churning)[5] and for some models with manual transmissions
2.No loss of torque transmission from the engine to the driving wheels during gear shifts
3.Short up-shift time of 8 milliseconds when shifting to a gear the alternate gear shaft has preselected
4.Smooth gear-shift operations
5.Consistent shift time of 600 milliseconds, regardless of throttle or operational mode

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-..._disadvantages
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tech_transmission.shtml
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10863_7...s=0&o=10009562
that 8AT is state of the art, not econobox transmission, most of those dont apply at all. They used DSG because it is cheaper.

PSD/CVT in Prius is much better choice for hybrids, as it better manages electric motors, batteries and gas engine... it is natural fit, vs putting in electric motor into DSG and hoping it works well. It wont. It never did.
Old 02-11-12, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

i have recently been to Euro Jetta, which is supposedly a lot nicer than US one... and what a disappointing experience.

poor fitting of plastics throughout the cabin wasnt the worst part - it is cheap plastics. Complete door (front and back) doesnt have a one ich of nice materials. It is all 2003 Yaris hard as a rock plastic that sounds thin and hollow. There is something that looks like fabric, but i couldnt figure out if it is really poor fabric or plastic made to look like fabric because it had no give, no softness, no sponge.

it was pretty damn bad for the price (which is very high in Europe), so no wonder they dont sell many in Europe. It was also very nicely equipped model.
Yes, the interior and platform-cheapness of the latest-generation Jetta is well-known....both in the U.S. and Europe. VW clearly decided to cut material-costs with this car.

I'm a little surprised, though, that VW is developing a gas/electric hybrid to sell alongside the TDI diesel. The TDI has been well-perfected, now runs clean enough to meet any reasonable emissions-level, is virtually indistinguishable from a gas-engine in its start-up/road-manners/noise-level, roughly equals a hybrid in fuel-mileage, and, of course, is less-complex to produce and install than a hybrid powertrain. Perhaps VW is anticipating future emissions-standards that are so unreasonable that not even today's TDI can pass them.
Old 02-11-12, 11:39 AM
darrelld
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the interior and platform-cheapness of the latest-generation Jetta is well-known....both in the U.S. and Europe. VW clearly decided to cut material-costs with this car.

I'm a little surprised, though, that VW is developing a gas/electric hybrid to sell alongside the TDI diesel. The TDI has been well-perfected, now runs clean enough to meet any reasonable emissions-level, is virtually indistinguishable from a gas-engine in its start-up/road-manners/noise-level, roughly equals a hybrid in fuel-mileage, and, of course, is less-complex to produce and install than a hybrid powertrain. Perhaps VW is anticipating future emissions-standards that are so unreasonable that not even today's TDI can pass them.
I currently own a 2010 Jetta TDI w/DSG and the emissions are actually cleaner than an equivalent sized GDI engine.

If you you can understand the physics a good reference is here;
http://webpages.charter.net/lmarz/emissions.html

There are some inherent advantages for a hybrid over a TDI is short urban driving cycles. I can see VW offering the TDI for customers driving 15+ miles one way daily vs a customer who drives 5 miles one way in stop and go traffic.

When my IS350 was in for service I tried every hybrid Lexus made including the CT200H. My evaluation was extensive. Ultimately after testing other brands of hybrids like the Sonata Hybrid and the Optima Hybrid I purchased a 2012 Passat TDI SEL w/DSG.

http://youtu.be/GDerjdxmP_s

I have a coworker who traded a 2006 Lexus SC for a 2008 Passat (he now has close to 100,000 trouble free miles) and I spoke with him about why he traded. Ultimately it came down to a more engaging driving experience.

Last edited by darrelld; 02-11-12 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-11-12, 02:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

with harder and harder emissions laws, TDIs are facing uphill battle. Every year, they cost more money to make.

Reliability of modern diesel engines from any manufacturer is pretty poor too, due to many points of failure, including expensive high tech cats for emissions, turbos, injectors, transmissions, clutch, etc, etc.

This is why european manufacturers are turning to small turbo petrols... Ford just introduced 1.0l 3 cylinder turbo engine with 123hp, trying to build a bridge between two technologies.
Old 02-12-12, 12:41 PM
darrelld
Driver

with harder and harder emissions laws, TDIs are facing uphill battle. Every year, they cost more money to make.

Reliability of modern diesel engines from any manufacturer is pretty poor too, due to many points of failure, including expensive high tech cats for emissions, turbos, injectors, transmissions, clutch, etc, etc.
This statement is completely false.

I really would mention reliability as a Toyota advantage until they get there act together. Toyota has made the most recalled list for at least the past 2 years.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/29/t...ber-of-u-s-re/

Currently the Avalon and Rav4 are under NHTSA investigation for doors catching on fire;
http://news.consumerreports.org/safe...-vehicles.html

I personally experienced unintended acceleration in my Lexus IS350 and it was not pleasant especially when it was not know at the time how to shutdown the key-less ignition. I had the brakes locked and my rear tires were literally smoking until I could dislodge the accelerator pedal from the floor mat. Only had the car about a month when this happened. My mom and wife were in car freaking out at the time.