Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is a Toyota 86/Scion FR-S sedan version worthy of reviving the Toyota Altezza badge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 08:57 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Toyota 86/Scion FR-S sedan version worthy of reviving the Toyota Altezza badge?

As far back as autumn 2010, many folks have been speculating and musing on the thought of a stretched 4-door sports sedan version of the Toyota GT 86 / Scion FR-S. Then a thought hit me and moved me to write a Kaizen Factor blog entry (see Is a Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S sedan derivative worthy of reviving the Toyota Altezza badge? | Kaizen Factor ), which ends with this passage:

If Toyota were, indeed, to build an 86-derived sedan, would it be worthy of bringing back the Altezza badge, not only in Japan but throughout the world? Please, no Scion-badging nonsense for this sedan in North America, they’ve already got their coupe... perhaps the world is ready for a proper sequel to the smaller, lighter and more agile 1st-generation Lexus IS for those who feel let down by the heavier and more luxury-oriented current 2nd-gen version. Or do you feel that there can only be one true, worthy, deserving Altezza, and that the notion of slapping that hallowed badge on a Toyota 86 sedan is almost sacrilegious? Perhaps the imitation-is-the-sincerest-form-of-flattery trend of slapping “Altezza taillights” on all manner of old Hondas and beyond has tainted the name in your mind forever? How do you feel about this notion?
Old 02-03-12, 09:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No. I don't think so.

If they are purists, they would call it a Corolla.
Old 02-05-12, 05:49 PM
LexFather

I would love to see an entry level Lexus off this platform, a sport coupe Lexus, etc....1 series coupe competition, Boxster competition, Cayman competition...etc...

With Lexus in Japan I think the Altezza should stay dead and keep efforts with Lexus. It seems that Toyota wants to make sporty cars here Scions.

Old 02-05-12, 06:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would love to see an entry level Lexus off this platform, a sport coupe Lexus, etc....1 series coupe competition, Boxster competition, Cayman competition...etc...
How could a new Altezza (or even a sport-coupe) compete with a Boxster or Cayman, Mike? ...........or am I just misunderstanding your post? Boxsters and Caymans are considerably smaller, mid-engined, and generally considered hard-edged sports-cars, not sport-sedans or coupes.
Old 02-05-12, 06:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How could a new Altezza (or even a sport-coupe) compete with a Boxster or Cayman, Mike? ...........or am I just misunderstanding your post? Boxsters and Caymans are considerably smaller, mid-engined, and generally considered hard-edged sports-cars, not sport-sedans or coupes.
Yeah I'm saying I would like to see multiple vehicles off this platform. The Altezza was a good small size around 174 or so inches long I believe. The current IS is 180 or so and will likely grow in size. With Audi slotting an A3 sedan now under the A4, Lexus should maybe compete there.

Old 02-05-12, 06:46 PM
suprakidxx
Driver

im stoked that the frs is soon to be released! but idk about making it 4dr sedan :/
Old 02-06-12, 03:29 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

No, Altezza/ (1st gen IS), name should be left alone, I really think in the future it will be a cult classic, kind of like the Datsun 510. That said, I agree with 1 sick, that there should be other cars built off the platform, like a small Lexus coupe and please, turbocharge it !!
Old 02-06-12, 03:36 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Build a IS coupe on a tweaked FR-S chassis( widen and lengthen), you will have 3000lb IS coupe as a V6 sport car, not a GT car. I prefer a cramped back seat if I ever want that kind of car.
Old 02-07-12, 06:32 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

I've read that Lexus will indeed use this platform for the next gen IS. If so I'd like to see the engines they plan on using.
Old 02-07-12, 07:12 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
I've read that Lexus will indeed use this platform for the next gen IS. If so I'd like to see the engines they plan on using.
I read that as well, but I highly doubt it'll happen, as I wrote here:
http://my.is/forums/f41/2014-lexus-t...-count-422505/
Old 02-07-12, 07:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jruhi4
I read that as well, but I highly doubt it'll happen, as I wrote here:
http://my.is/forums/f41/2014-lexus-t...-count-422505/
Agreed...not going to happen. The Chief engineer explained 3 years ago why he hated platform sharing, it makes vehicles heavier and no where near as precise. Looking at how the 86/BRZ/FRS drive he is so right.

Old 02-07-12, 10:47 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Agreed...not going to happen. The Chief engineer explained 3 years ago why he hated platform sharing, it makes vehicles heavier and no where near as precise. Looking at how the 86/BRZ/FRS drive he is so right.
Well then does that mean it will use a shortened version of the 2013 GS's platform like the current gen? If so it would still mean slightly less weight and a more advanced suspension setup.
Old 02-07-12, 11:01 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Well then does that mean it will use a shortened version of the 2013 GS's platform like the current gen? If so it would still mean slightly less weight and a more advanced suspension setup.
I'd guess so, yes.