Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are British Cars More/Less Reliable Than German Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 09:27 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your question is far too vague, as different models and even model years from the same manufacturer can vary hugely.

jaguars in times past have not proven competitively reliable, but they're apparently a lot better these days, but then you've already done research on consumer guide so i'm not sure why're asking ??
Because the consumer guide for the model Jag that I'm interested is scored on an 09 model, so it's still fairly new, and I want to know if it will last long.

If the question is too vague, then how about this.

Is an '09-'11 Jaguar XF as reliable as an '06-'09 Lexus IS/GS/LS?

Reliability, in the sense that it won't give too many problems when owning the car for another 3-5 years.
Old 02-02-12, 10:40 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

no, jag is not at that level of reliability yet
it is catching up but still have some electrical bugs to figure out

ive heard from local jag mechanics that the new XJ still have some electronics issues turning up but overall mechanics of it is still too early to tell
Old 02-02-12, 11:20 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I was always under the impression that cars like Jaguars were even worse than the German cars in terms of reliability.
Old 02-03-12, 08:41 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Newer ones are ok, but still not up to lexus, or germans. one thing i would say is stay clean or the x-type like a plague, heard nothing but bad things. I know people with newer xj's, im talking like 05 and up and while they have had issues, they tend overall to like them. Thing is, i highly suggest educating yourself on British cars before you buy one.
Old 02-03-12, 08:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

will you be getting a jag xf before you join the marines?
Old 02-03-12, 09:39 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
Newer ones are ok, but still not up to lexus, or germans. one thing i would say is stay clean or the x-type like a plague, heard nothing but bad things. I know people with newer xj's, im talking like 05 and up and while they have had issues, they tend overall to like them. Thing is, i highly suggest educating yourself on British cars before you buy one.
I owned a Forduar X-Type. Other than the awd system and stole from the Volvo parts bin thecar sucked.
Old 02-03-12, 09:49 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Xtom73G
I used to have a supercharged MGA, ran with guys who had Triumphs, Jags, Morgans, Austin Healys. We used to joke about the reliability of the electrical system. "LUCAS, PRINCE OF DARKNESS!" One night I left a bar and pulled my headlight switch. The guts of the switch came out in my hand. My chum would be driving down the freeway and all lights would suddenly go out. Jags are so beautiful, but even the computers were a huge issue. The Ford bought Jaguar, and there has been a steady improvement in reliability.
I used to work for a guy that serviced and restored classic British cars, and my father used to club race an old Spitfire. The electronics were a constant source of headaches.

Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.

The Prince's last words to his son: "don't go riding after dark"
The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

Lucas dip-switch positions: HIGH and BLOW

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohms Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.

To owner of a Land Rover: "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" Owner: "It doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

During the 1970's, Lucas diversified its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product Lucas ever offered which didn't suck.

Lucas Quality Control often advised the engineering department that their designs had problems with shorting out. Engineering always made the wires a little longer.

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made their refrigerators, too.

Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, and Joseph Lucas invented the short circuit.

Lucas systems actually use AC current; it just has a random frequency.

Lucas engineers created electronics that ran on smoke. Unfortunately they couldn't find a way to keep in INSIDE the components
Old 02-03-12, 10:46 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

^ awesome
Old 02-03-12, 07:40 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
but historically, Jaguar, LR, MG were all known for their **** poor reliability :-).
An old car/motorcycle joke. Why don't the British make T.V.'s? They can't make them leak oil!