Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Obama Upsets Foreign Car Makers @ Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 12:15 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
The man can do no right! No matter what somebody is going to cry about something. Who cares! If Honda pack up and leave today would we really miss them. Not really.
I don't know about you, but I would "miss" Honda. So, what they make ugly cars. I rather have a ugly reliable car, than a crappy built, unreliable P.O.S domestic car. Sorry, but I'll stick with my Jap. cars.
Old 02-02-12, 12:17 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I understand where the foreign car makers are coming from, I'd be upset too. But, I don't blame Obama for ignoring the foreign cars, and going straight to look at the domestic cars. What did you expect, he's the President of the United States? LOL, he doesn't give a rat's *** about foreign cars. It's all politics. Everyone makes a big deal when a foreign car maker issues a recall, but when Ford or some other domestic car releases a recall you rarely ever hear about it...
Old 02-02-12, 12:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Get over it.

Oh, and btw, of the many domestic vehicles we have owned, very few could be considered 'unreliabe'........
Old 02-02-12, 12:24 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So they expect the president to stop by and take pics next to boring or terribly ugly cars lol. So he should stop by every booth? Those companies also get tons of tax incentives to build/expand so they need to stop acting like the governement(s) haven't taken care of them.
The issue is that the Pres/White House requested a significant presence from foreign automakers - with which those automakers complied - then the Pres snubbed them.

Certainly it is not surprising the Pres and other politicians snub foreign cars, as the reality that foreign car makers generate enormous numbers of American jobs and that domestic car companies need taxpayer-funded bailouts is much less important compared to the politically-important but completely hollow guise of supporting "American" car companies.

Last edited by gengar; 02-02-12 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-02-12, 01:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Reason # 94882920059885999184881 not to buy a domestic.
Old 02-02-12, 01:40 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No no get it right. Reagan was the worst president every. or Tyler. Maybe Harding...
Tie between Jackson and Reagan I'd wager
Old 02-02-12, 02:05 PM
nvslm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Only Honda is yapping about it and considering the ugly pos they are showing they should shut up. Obama probably saw the ugly beak and the reverse-front back Accord "concept" which basically is a current accord that they slap the front end to the back and vice versa and tried to pass it off as a concept car.

Then he went.
From what I see in the article, where's the part that Honda's yapping anyway?

Regardless, Obama should at least speak with major player like Toyota. The Prius the best selling hybrid. They are request to be present by the white house. I think it's a slap in the face to foreign automaker in my opinion.
Old 02-02-12, 02:26 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gengar
The issue is that the Pres/White House requested a significant presence from foreign automakers - with which those automakers complied - then the Pres snubbed them.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner....
Old 02-02-12, 02:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Certainly it is not surprising the Pres and other politicians snub foreign cars, as the reality that foreign car makers generate enormous numbers of American jobs and that domestic car companies need taxpayer-funded bailouts is much less important compared to the politically-important but completely hollow guise of supporting "American" car companies.
well said. hard for people to see that
Old 02-02-12, 03:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

So they expect the president to stop by and take pics next to boring or terribly ugly cars lol. So he should stop by every booth? Those companies also get tons of tax incentives to build/expand so they need to stop acting like the governement(s) haven't taken care of them.

I'm no Obama fan but the idiocy and hate toward him is utterly ridiculous. Did they want pics next to his birth certificate too? Lol
uh, no.

They were called up by White House who told them that President will be visiting their booths, so they organized all those presentations and he didnt come.
Old 02-02-12, 06:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

No no get it right. Reagan was the worst president every.
popular opinion polls all put him in top 10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...opular_opinion
Old 02-02-12, 06:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The issue is that the Pres/White House requested a significant presence from foreign automakers - with which those automakers complied - then the Pres snubbed them. ...
^^ this. thanks.
Old 02-02-12, 07:49 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

If he wanted to look at domestic vehicles, why was he paying attention to a bunch of Canadian and Mexican cars?
Old 02-02-12, 08:06 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
[FONT="Georgia"] [CENTER] [B][U]

Obama walked in, strolled past cars made in the U.S. by foreign companies and spent much of his half-hour tour being photographed with a Dodge Dart, a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, a Chevrolet Silverado pick-up, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1, a Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid and a Chevrolet Malibu.
Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
If he wanted to look at domestic vehicles, why was he paying attention to a bunch of Canadian and Mexican cars?
Actually, the Mustang, Silverado, Grand Cherokee, Corvette, and the Malibu are made in the USA

Although with the Dart and Cherokee, one could mention that they are Italian cars....since Fiat now owns Chrysler, and the Dart was heavily influenced by Fiat.
Old 02-02-12, 08:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

he is just protecting his investment .

Quick Reply: Obama Upsets Foreign Car Makers @ Auto Show