Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lexus LX 570

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-12, 06:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I'm a fan of Lexus cars, not of Toyota corporate or even the vast majority of Toyotas. One reason I'm a fan of Lexus cars is because up to this point there has been an attention to detail, subtleties and execution in design that I've found very appealing, and non-existent on as wide a scale with most other brands. Even Toyota cars save for one or two models just don't have it.

Here we see some of that being sacrificed in a bid to "stand out" or be "bold", and that half-assed unfinished chrome accent they've got going on is NOT that same Lexus attention to detail. It is half-assed, misguided and unfinished.

This is the old LX grill, have a look at the top half, how artful, fluid and beautiful the details are executed:
[IM

Do we see it with the Mercedes GL? No.
[I

The Cadillac Escalade? Certainly not.
[IM

If Lexus loses this, IMO their design is FINISHED. The new GS has already lost a lot of it, especially compared to the CT. It's dangerous waters they're venturing in.
And again how can we come to such stern and swift conclusions based on one pic, in one angle, in one color? How do we not know there isn't attention to detail? There is probably more detail since Lexus continues to add more style and get better with aerodynamics.

I have no idea what is half-assed about this so far. Its not even that different for crying out loud, they simple contoured the bottom to be part of the spindle and added a touch here and there. Considering they are putting a new design direction on an older vehicle for it's MMC, it seems to work to most of us.

Now I might agree with you that Lexus styling was for those with the keen eye and not one who's idea of a car is what C&D tells them. I honestly never had much of an issue with Lexus styling. It seems Lexus is answering the call from people who would NEVER buy a Lexus no matter what they do. I will say the new GS seems to be attracting people who like the bold front and never considered a Lexus before.

FYI, the GL and Escalade seem to be liked by consumers since they sell very well and a lot of it is based on style.

Old 01-07-12, 07:10 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a fan of Lexus cars, not of Toyota corporate or even the vast majority of Toyotas. One reason I'm a fan of Lexus cars is because up to this point there has been an attention to detail, subtleties and execution in design that I've found very appealing, and non-existent on as wide a scale with most other brands. Even Toyota cars save for one or two models just don't have it.

Here we see some of that being sacrificed in a bid to "stand out" or be "bold", and that half-assed unfinished chrome accent they've got going on is NOT that same Lexus attention to detail. It is half-assed, misguided and unfinished.

If Lexus loses this, IMO their design is FINISHED. The new GS has already lost a lot of it, especially compared to the CT. It's dangerous waters they're venturing in.

I agree. I like details and I really appreciate the way the right and left edge of the old grill looks almost as if it's intertwined with the border of the bumper. It's a very classy touch and detail that is now unfortunately lost.

Also with the fog lights, the original design looked very well integrated. This update looks almost as if it were an afterthought.
Old 01-07-12, 07:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This is the old LX grill, have a look at the top half, how artful, fluid and beautiful the details are executed:

Do we see it with the Mercedes GL? No.

The Cadillac Escalade? Certainly not.

Can't agree with you here. The updated LX front end looks better. Not stunning but better.
Old 01-07-12, 07:43 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And again how can we come to such stern and swift conclusions based on one pic, in one angle, in one color? How do we not know there isn't attention to detail? There is probably more detail since Lexus continues to add more style and get better with aerodynamics.

I have no idea what is half-assed about this so far. Its not even that different for crying out loud, they simple contoured the bottom to be part of the spindle and added a touch here and there. Considering they are putting a new design direction on an older vehicle for it's MMC, it seems to work to most of us.

Now I might agree with you that Lexus styling was for those with the keen eye and not one who's idea of a car is what C&D tells them. I honestly never had much of an issue with Lexus styling. It seems Lexus is answering the call from people who would NEVER buy a Lexus no matter what they do. I will say the new GS seems to be attracting people who like the bold front and never considered a Lexus before.

FYI, the GL and Escalade seem to be liked by consumers since they sell very well and a lot of it is based on style.

GL sells because it has a giant silver star on the grill and the Escalade sells because it's an Escalade. Both are considerably cheaper. The LX will not be any of those cars, imitating their (IMO poor) design execution (note that execution is different from aesthetics) will not make the LX sell any better, and I'm not saying that's what has happened with the new one.

That unfinished looking chrome fang that they have accenting the upper half of the spindle grill (on the GS as well) is poor execution, and poor attention to detail. Just watch, they will put that on every future Lexus car, and it will be sad.
Old 01-07-12, 07:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased

I agree. I like details and I really appreciate the way the right and left edge of the old grill looks almost as if it's intertwined with the border of the bumper. It's a very classy touch and detail that is now unfortunately lost.

Also with the fog lights, the original design looked very well integrated. This update looks almost as if it were an afterthought.
I had to look at your past posts for a helluva chuckle, welcome back "I told you" so isn't quite enough.

GL sells because it has a giant silver star on the grill and the Escalade sells because it's an Escalade. Both are considerably cheaper. The LX will not be any of those cars, imitating their (IMO poor) design execution (note that execution is different from aesthetics) will not make the LX sell any better, and I'm not saying that's what has happened with the new one.

That unfinished looking chrome fang that they have accenting the upper half of the spindle grill (on the GS as well) is poor execution, and poor attention to detail. Just watch, they will put that on every future Lexus car, and it will be sad.
The chrome fan is not poor attention to detail. It is there on purpose, like the
HS
CT
GS
and now LX

So its fine not to like it, I am not a fan either. However it is not an "Attention to detail" problem. Poor execution. Yes, you can have an opinion of that. If you think it looks sad, that is fine too. However it is not a "Detail" issue since it was done on purpose.

Lexus seems to be completely fine with the LX selling 300-500 units a month otherwise they surely would have pulled the plug. In such a brash/bold segment this grill can ONLY HELP the LX. Every other SUV in this class has some giant grill. It is of my opinion the LX front end was too staid and yes, bland compared to most. Quite frankly I miss the quad headlamps.

Old 01-07-12, 07:52 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

I had to look at your past posts for a helluva chuckle, welcome back "I told you" so isn't quite enough.
Thanks for the welcome. I heard a good change was made here, that's what brought me back.
Old 01-07-12, 07:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DrUnBiased
Thanks for the welcome. I heard a good change was made here, that's what brought me back.
Change or Choice? Can't wait to hear all about the ILX!

Old 01-07-12, 08:00 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

Change or Choice? Can't wait to hear all about the ILX!
What's the ILX?
Old 01-07-12, 09:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am not feeling the front end. I like the rest though. There is always one or two funky angles on most cars today anyway
Old 01-07-12, 10:03 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The chrome fan is not poor attention to detail. It is there on purpose, like the
HS
CT
GS
and now LX

So its fine not to like it, I am not a fan either. However it is not an "Attention to detail" problem. Poor execution. Yes, you can have an opinion of that. If you think it looks sad, that is fine too. However it is not a "Detail" issue since it was done on purpose.

Lexus seems to be completely fine with the LX selling 300-500 units a month otherwise they surely would have pulled the plug. In such a brash/bold segment this grill can ONLY HELP the LX. Every other SUV in this class has some giant grill. It is of my opinion the LX front end was too staid and yes, bland compared to most. Quite frankly I miss the quad headlamps.
CT doesn't have it, neither did the LF-GH concept:

2013 Lexus LX 570-t701v.jpg

The use of chrome there is fine (it ends where it's supposed to). This is not fine:

Either cut it off like it was on the concept and on the CT or extend it all the way to surround the entire grill. Just the fact that they changed it from the concept shows to me that they lack direction and are indecisive about this new design direction.
Old 01-07-12, 10:20 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^Or..... maybe thats exactly where the designers wanted it to end?

We already know a lot of people are gonna plasti-dip/black it out anyways
Old 01-08-12, 12:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I think they look like little saber teeth lol
Old 01-08-12, 01:12 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^Saber teeth... Sounds cool to me!
Old 01-08-12, 01:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

not sure if thats going to be so noticable in the real life though, which is why they probably maximized the effect.
Old 01-08-12, 05:15 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CT doesn't have it, neither did the LF-GH concept:

The use of chrome there is fine (it ends where it's supposed to). This is not fine:

Either cut it off like it was on the concept and on the CT or extend it all the way to surround the entire grill. Just the fact that they changed it from the concept shows to me that they lack direction and are indecisive about this new design direction.
I agree. They probably wanted to accent the pinch but it doesn't flow right in my opinion. CT nailed it and I think GS chrome just has to be a tad thinner and it would be OK. Chrome surroundings of fogs bother me more I have to say Thats super tacky.

In reality crome fangs dont make the car look ugly or pretty its just there and just like Acuras beak you live with it.

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus LX 570