Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick names new small CUV Encore, promises Detroit debut

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 09:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Buick names new small CUV Encore, promises Detroit debut

Buick names new small CUV Encore, promises Detroit debut

Corroborating long-held suspicions and spy shots, General Motors has confirmed that its surging Buick marque will shortly receive a second crossover. Dubbed "Encore" (apparently GM is hoping consumers have short memories), the five-seat CUV will be revealed at next month's 2012 Detroit Auto Show and carry a 2013 model year designation.

This is the first photo of a promised strip tease(r) series, clearly showing a characterful headlight and a vertical element grille similar to that of the Encore's big brother, the popular Enclave three-row. We like what we see here, particularly the horizontal slat vent snugged into the headlamp assembly, even if the whole thing looks markedly less aggressive than Buick's Envision crossover concept from April's Shanghai Motor Show.

GM isn't saying much about the vehicle at this point, other than to note that the Encore will bring "contemporary styling, signature QuietTuning technology, and a host of features and amenities customers expect from Buicks today." Fair enough.

Buick promises that a new tab will go live on its Facebook page this week showing a covered photo of the Encore so that you can make out its silhouette, and each week between now and its January 10 reveal, the automaker will digitally reveal a bit more of its new baby.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/14/b...detroit-debut/
Old 12-14-11, 09:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So a re-skinned SRX, Equinox, or Terrain no doubt
Old 12-14-11, 09:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So a re-skinned SRX, Equinox, or Terrain no doubt
Don't count on it. The new upcoming Buick Verano is a lot more than just a reskinned or rebadged Chevy Cruze. Although the new Regal was admittedly a reskinned Opel, in general, Buick's managers won't settle for being just warmed-over Chevies any more....those days are gone.

They might have some legal trouble with the name "Encore" though. Some years ago, Renault, back when it owned American Motors, sold a U.S.-market hatchback named 'Encore" in sedan and hatchback versions. Some of you older members might remember it. But, of course, that was two or three decades ago, and there may (?) be a statute-of-limitations on car-names and their copyrights.....I'm not enough of a lawyer to know.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-11 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 09:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This comes from a Chinese source, but it could (?) give a better idea of what it will look like.

Old 12-14-11, 10:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't count on it. The new upcoming Buick Verano is a lot more than just a reskinned or rebadged Chevy Cruze. Although the new Regal was admittedly a reskinned Opel, in general, Buick's managers won't settle for being just warmed-over Chevies any more....those days are gone.

They might have some legal trouble with the name "Encore" though. Some years ago, Renault, back when it owned American Motors, sold a U.S.-market hatchback named 'Encore" in sedan and hatchback versions. Some of you older members might remember it. But, of course, that was two or three decades ago, and there may (?) be a statute-of-limitations on car-names and their copyrights.....I'm not enough of a lawyer to know.
I much prefer the Opel rebadge Regal to the gussied up Cruze Buick. Its not a luxury car and Buick is off my luxury brand list at this point. Like Acura a tweener, sub luxury brand,

I think this cute ute, which will likely be Equinox based, will do well for them especially since Buick has gotten styling right thus far.

Old 12-15-11, 12:31 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

1) Marshall is going to go googoo gaga over this one.
2) That headlight looks an awful lot like the recently departed Saturn Vue. (grrr)
3) Terrible choice of name. Sounds too much like the Enclave and Envoy, which will confuse potential customers in living room conversations and at dealership showrooms for the next seven years. Just a tad bit of research on GM's part would have revealed how poorly Lincoln's all "M" letter mix has destroyed it's model credibilty.
Old 12-15-11, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I much prefer the Opel rebadge Regal to the gussied up Cruze Buick. Its not a luxury car.
From what I've reading in Verano reviews, there's no doubt that the Regal is significantly sportier overall, but the Verano does include at least some of the Regal's German road-manners. It is certainly not an older, traditional Buick in terms of a wallowy ride.

As far as it being a "guzzied up Cruze", I'll wait till it see it and drive it in person to make that determination (it should be released early next month, and will certainly be at the January Detroit and Washington, DC car shows). GM, yes, does have a reputation for rebadging poorly-designed / poorly-built compacts and trying to market them as upmarket vehicles....I'll be the first to admit that. Press-reviewers, though (and, of course, you and I both know that those reviews can vary quite a bit in accuracy) have said that this time, it is more than simply a Cruze packed full of sound-insulation and wood trim. I've reviewed a non-turbo Cruze, so I have a pretty good idea of what that car is like. We'll see.

and Buick is off my luxury brand list at this point. Like Acura a tweener, sub luxury brand,
I'll grant that, of the two, Acura (probably) still has better build-quality, but today's Buicks are certainly not what Grandpa and Grandma drove. They also, wth a couple of exceptions, generally do average (or better) in reliability, according to Consumer Reports.

I think this cute ute, which will likely be Equinox based, will do well for them especially since Buick has gotten styling right thus far.
No doubt it will ride quietly and have the chrome Buick bling, but, for mechanical competence in AWD CUVs in this class, I think that the Subaru Forester/Outback, Honda CR-V/Pilot, Toyota RAV-4/Versa/Highlander, and, for slightly more cash, Acura MDX, and Lexus RX350, are all safer buys. They have all proved their reliability and build-quality. The newer (redesigned) 2010 and later Equinoxes are an improvement over their unreliable predecessors, but still not quite in the same class for reliability.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-11 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
1) Marshall is going to go googoo gaga over this one.
No, I usually don't fall in love quite that easily. First, as a reviewer, I have to remain objective (though, of course, I do express opinions). Otherwise, I would go into a review with a definite bias, and that wouldn't be fair to you guys, who want, and expect, even-handedness from me.

Second, just because (unlike many teen-agers) I liked Buicks in my youth, owned two of them before I was 20, and like much (though not all) of what I've read about the upcoming Buick Verano (I could even see myself driving one), that does not mean that I've suddenly become a Buick junkie overnight in today's market. I'm not going to fall all over this vehicle like I did my college girl-friend (too bad we didn't get married). One cannot also forget that Buick (along with the rest of GM) built a lot of junk during the 80s and 90s, and a lot of owners got burned with poorly-built vehicles.

For my own personal needs, though, as a daily-driver, it's hard to beat Subarus. Not only that, I've seen too many press-hyped vehicles over the years turn out to be dogs or mechanical lemons.....and, yes, I owned a few of those, too.

2) That headlight looks an awful lot like the recently departed Saturn Vue. (grrr)
I was really sorry to see the VUE go.....especially the 1Gen model with the thermoplastic side-body-panels that resisted dents/dings and corrosion. The 2Gen model had a far better interior, but, like the first, was unreliable, and it lost the plastic body-panels. But I get so mad at what GM did to Saturn, after about 2000 or so, that I just don't enjoy talking about it.

3) Terrible choice of name. Sounds too much like the Enclave and Envoy, which will confuse potential customers in living room conversations and at dealership showrooms for the next seven years.
A potential bigger problem than simply confusing it with "Enclave" is Renault already having used that name for its American-market hatchbacks back in the 1980s, though the legal copyrights may (?) have run out by now.....I'm not enough of a lawyer to know the details.

Just a tad bit of research on GM's part would have revealed how poorly Lincoln's all "M" letter mix has destroyed it's model credibilty.
It hasn't necessarily destroyed the credibility of the vehicles themselves. What you name a vehicle doesn't affect how it drives or how reliable it will be. It just makes for a little confusion, sometimes, in remembering the correct designation. There, though, I agree with you.......Lincoln could have done better than starting everything off with "MK", except for the Navigator. Still, if you keep up with the market (like we do here on CAR CHAT), it's much easier to remember which is which.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-11 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 05:22 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I hate to say it, im starting like buicks, a little bit. One of my favorites being the lucerne, i always thought it was a slick looking car and had potential
Old 12-15-11, 06:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I hate to say it, im starting like buicks, a little bit. One of my favorites being the lucerne, i always thought it was a slick looking car and had potential
Buick has discontinued the Lucerne. I read in another thread the last one rolled off the line in June.
Old 12-15-11, 10:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Crap, haha guess back to not liking buicks again i guess, that was quick
Old 12-16-11, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Buick has discontinued the Lucerne.
Sure has.......dropping it was a BIG mistake. This car was extremely popular with the over-50 crowd. Same with the also-discontinued Cadillac DTS.
Old 12-16-11, 07:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure has.......dropping it was a BIG mistake. This car was extremely popular with the over-50 crowd. Same with the also-discontinued Cadillac DTS.
I saw on another thread that both the Lucerne and LaCross are on the list of top cars purchased by buyers over age 65. I'm sure the % buying the LaCrosse will go higher with the Lucerne gone. At least there will be a car for Buick buyers.
Old 12-16-11, 07:45 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

There's no doubt in my mind, much of Buick's success today is related to Cadillac not being an option for seniors anymore. They got to go somewhere, and Buick is a natural and easy place to go (they are familar with GM). It's a logical side-step, but I don't think Buick should get much credit for this default.
Old 12-17-11, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw on another thread that both the Lucerne and LaCross are on the list of top cars purchased by buyers over age 65. I'm sure the % buying the LaCrosse will go higher with the Lucerne gone. At least there will be a car for Buick buyers.
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
There's no doubt in my mind, much of Buick's success today is related to Cadillac not being an option for seniors anymore. They got to go somewhere, and Buick is a natural and easy place to go (they are familar with GM). It's a logical side-step, but I don't think Buick should get much credit for this default.
The problem is that Buick is now doing the same thing as Cadillac....dumping all of its classic smooth-riding senior-citizen cars. Those buyers who want a brand-new classic floaty-riding American barge simply don't have any more options. Can't go to Ford anymore either.....the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car are also pretty much gone, and Mercury itself has been discontinued.. Over at Chrysler, the new 300 has a lot of bling, but has a more sport-oriented chassis than those buyers would prefer. Like it of not, that entire class of car-buyers is being simply ignored today.

The new Buick LaCrosse is a fantastic compromise (one of the best in the buisness) if you want a reasonably smooth ride with much more responsive steering than on traditional Buicks. But most seniors don't care about responsive steering...they want the size and cushiness, and care little about anything else.

We're getting a little off-topic, though....the new Buick CUV.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-17-11 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Buick names new small CUV Encore, promises Detroit debut