Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota banks on Prius sales jump as inventory rebounds, oil rises

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 08:55 PM
LexFather

Post Toyota banks on Prius sales jump as inventory rebounds, oil rises

Once again the Media shows its true colors..Toyota Prius down only 9.4% and gets an article..Insight down 21% and Fusion hybrid 48% and not a peep

(Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp. said U.S. sales of Prius will revive with increased inventory and rising oil prices.

Deliveries of the Prius, the top-selling hybrid since 1997, declined 9.4 percent through October from a year ago.

Competitors have also stumbled.

Honda Motor Co.'s Insight fell 21 percent and Ford Motor Co.'s Fusion Hybrid sedan slid 48 percent in the same period, according to Autodata Corp.

"When Toyota is 70 percent of the market and we had to stop Prius production for almost 90 days, it should be no big shock to anybody that the overall hybrid sales volume dropped this year," said Jim Lentz, president of Toyota's U.S. sales unit. "It wasn't due to lack of demand. It was lack of supply."

Toyota is counting on gasoline-electric vehicles, led by an expanded Prius lineup, to aid its U.S. sales recovery in 2012 and to meet stricter fuel-economy rules.

Sales of the fuel- saving vehicles have fluctuated with rising and falling gasoline prices.

Demand surged when the average U.S. regular unleaded gasoline price reached a record $4.114 a gallon on July 17, 2008.

Japan's earthquake and tsunami in March reduced supplies of automotive components.

Before that, Toyota had sought a Prius sales record in 2011 with increased supply and more Prius-based models. The current average regular unleaded price is $3.38 a gallon, 17 percent more expensive than a year ago, according to AAA's Daily Fuel Gauge Report. It's likely to rise further going into 2012, Lentz said.

Fuel prices

"First quarter of next year I think we're going to see oil prices rise again, possibly a substantial increase," he said. "I think the Prius family is going to be in the right place at the right time."

Oil prices fell below $100 a barrel last week, and oil futures slipped as much as 0.8 percent, the first weekly drop in seven weeks, on concern Europe's debt crisis will reduce demand.

Toyota last month began U.S. sales of its Prius v, a wagon version larger than the main hatchback model.

In early 2012, the company adds the Prius c, a subcompact version, and a plug-in model that goes about 15 miles per charge solely on electricity and operates like a standard Prius after that.

Toyota said earlier this year it expects to sell at least 16,000 of the plug-in model in 2012.

Sales of Prius models are "going to be much better in November and beyond," Lentz said.

Increased advertising and promotion of the Prius line will drive more buyers to Toyota dealers, resulting in higher sales, he said.

"People can talk about performance cars outpacing hybrids all they want," Lentz said. "It's not going to happen. We will see once again, very soon, when fuel prices rise, that hybrids will once again take off in the marketplace."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...IL01/311209999 <meta name=#ixzz1ePHq7Tgz

Old 11-21-11, 08:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

No mention of my superb CT200h.
Old 11-21-11, 11:23 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive seen a few prius Vs on the road... I gotta admit.... they look good . Perfect for people who need a little more space and still want to save gas.

On a slightly related note - to show how much of a value the prius really is ..... the new fiat 500 is being advertised as small and fuel efficient - and an alternative to a hybrid. But I just can't see how people justify it!!! Check out the sticker price!

Comparable in price to a Prius 4 (next to highest model!!!) ... yet it has WAY less MPG.

Last edited by GiantsFan; 11-21-11 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-21-11, 11:27 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Ive seen a few prius Vs on the road... I gotta admit.... they look good . Perfect for people who need a little more space and still want to save gas.
I was impressed seeing one in person and checking out the seating arrangement. Compact SUV interior space and doesn't look as derp as a normal Prius.
Old 11-22-11, 09:31 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I also checked out a Prius V before I bought my 2012 Camry. Its a really nice size and no visibility problems as far as I can tell.
Old 11-22-11, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
I've got CL review-request for a Prius-v review, and am working on one as we speak. But weather and vehicle-availability have been a problem.

On a slightly related note - to show how much of a value the prius really is ..... the new fiat 500 is being advertised as small and fuel efficient - and an alternative to a hybrid. But I just can't see how people justify it!!! Check out the sticker price!
That 26K probably refers to a loaded convertible or Abarth....certainly not a standard 500, which starts out at $15,500.

That same sticker, BTW, was just posted on a 500 thread elsewhere in CAR CHAT. I also replied to it there.
Old 11-22-11, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Once again the Media shows its true colors..Toyota Prius down only 9.4% and gets an article..Insight down 21% and Fusion hybrid 48% and not a peep
Well, Mike, when the Insight first debuted, you yourself panned it left and right, and didn't have much expectations for it in the first place. Maybe the media just agreed with you, and figured a big drop in sales was inevitable. The Fusion Hybrid (you and I both agreed) was, and is, an excellent vehicle....but it cost a fair amount of cash, and maybe (?) it is just the poor economy which has cut into its sales. The poor economy, of course, is a given, and the media certainly has covered it in depth. And, for those who DO have money to spend, the Fusion Hybrid gets competition from its own twin, the Lincoln MKS Hybrid.
Old 11-22-11, 02:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont see how anyone would buy a fusion or an insight over the prius. The tech in the prius is pretty solid and Toyota has been developing the prius far longer than the fusion and insight have been developed. The insight just looks like an uglier prius. I love the fact that Toyota is branching out the prius line. Great idea!
Old 11-22-11, 07:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
nothing new with the media talking about the 'top dog' which of course, is the prius which created the segment. insight is lame. fusion hybrid, not sure why it's off so much, maybe because it's not hybrid only, and most people find the non-hybrid good enough, so comparing those two is kinda pointless.

the prius v interior is beyond horrible... it's so bad they only have a couple oif pics on toyota.com showing what it's kinda like... the rest being all close-up detail shots.

what's with the single cup holder? the center guage stack continues to be beyond stupid.

the new prius c has the guages closer to the driver at least
Old 11-22-11, 07:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think many people are buying the Prius, I think most sales come from fleet. I know a lot of NYC agencies use Priuses in their fleet - parking cops, sanitation dept, DOT, many other city offices, and most Priuses I see around here sport "official" license plates.

I think the city uses Priuses for their fleet to make the lives of their employees as miserable as possible, and to make sure they are constantly pissed off and issue a lot of summons.
Old 11-22-11, 09:39 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont see how anyone would buy a fusion or an insight over the prius. The tech in the prius is pretty solid and Toyota has been developing the prius far longer than the fusion and insight have been developed. The insight just looks like an uglier prius. I love the fact that Toyota is branching out the prius line. Great idea!
I believe Ford licenses the hybrid system from Toyota. IIRC, it's the same system used in the Camry hybrid. The Fusion and MKZ hybrids are quite nice cars.

I bought a Prius to get hatchback flexibility (with a folding rear seat) and the better MPG. The styling is something to be desired and, with my car being white, reminds me of something Woody Allen would be driving in "Sleeper."
Old 11-23-11, 01:57 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
I don't think many people are buying the Prius, I think most sales come from fleet.
Your observation might be true in NYC, however, it definitely isn't the case in California. In fact, the Prius is the second best selling car in California in terms of retail sales (Camry is #1).
Old 11-26-11, 10:39 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nothing new with the media talking about the 'top dog' which of course, is the prius which created the segment. insight is lame. fusion hybrid, not sure why it's off so much, maybe because it's not hybrid only, and most people find the non-hybrid good enough, so comparing those two is kinda pointless.

the prius v interior is beyond horrible... it's so bad they only have a couple oif pics on toyota.com showing what it's kinda like... the rest being all close-up detail shots.

what's with the single cup holder? the center guage stack continues to be beyond stupid.

the new prius c has the guages closer to the driver at least
Hmm? It has 3 cupholders up front. The other two are the pop-out one on the passenger side beneath the vent and a slide-out one ahead of the centre console.

There are also 2 bottle holders in the doors.

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I believe Ford licenses the hybrid system from Toyota. IIRC, it's the same system used in the Camry hybrid. The Fusion and MKZ hybrids are quite nice cars.

I bought a Prius to get hatchback flexibility (with a folding rear seat) and the better MPG. The styling is something to be desired and, with my car being white, reminds me of something Woody Allen would be driving in "Sleeper."

Not quite. Ford did develop their own system (Nissan was the one that licenced the technology for their Altima Hybrid). Ford just paid Toyota an undisclosed bounty because they found out that there were eerily similar parts and they didn't want Toyota suing them over patent infringement.
Old 11-26-11, 11:15 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I would take the Fusion over the Prius. I find the Prius to be just plain ugly IMO. None of the variants are any better looking to me.

To address the OP's concern about only the Prius getting mentioned. I don't think it's so much bias as it is the fact that Prius has almost become synonymous with Hybrid in the public lexicon. If you say hybrid, the first thing that pops into my head is a Prius, and I imagine the same is true for so many people. Given that, it's obvious why it would attract the most attention.