Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VIDEO: Cadillac pits Escalade against MB C-Class - a showcase of STUPIDITY by Caddy

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 06:53 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thing is, if Obama wants "Made In America". This isn't it. It is made in Mexico or something.
Old 10-03-11, 07:02 PM
LexFather

^^^ I think the Slade is made here but the Caddy SRX is made in Mexico and I doubt any owners are aware of that fact.

Old 10-03-11, 10:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
I can see where they were trying to go with the video. I think on an enthusiast site like CL we all tend to roll our eyes when we watch it, but I'm sure if this commercial plays during the super bowl there will be plenty Escalade owners that will think its 'spot on'

I think the Escalade does what its suppose to for Caddy and it does it well Having said that, I wouldn't have signed off on that commercial.

+1 for sure. Although based on your posts I see you more in a new pepper than a slade
lol come on, i drive like a ***** cat

but seriously. i would not get a domestic brand, just because i don't support them the way they got bailed out. together with their general resale and reliability, i don't find myself ready for them yet. now euro or japanese? it's like asking me if i want to make sense or if i want some fun.
Old 10-04-11, 11:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JessePS
Thing is, if Obama wants "Made In America". This isn't it. It is made in Mexico or something.
Not sure if it is or not.........but the pickup version is definitely Mexican-made (which may be good or bad depending on how one sees it).

Anyways, thing is, American car brands can make world-class. We've seen concrete examples that showcase that American automakers can build world-class cars. Vehicles such as the Corvette ZR-1, Dodge Viper ACR, Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon, the new Ford Explorer.......and heck even the Ford Fusion (that we rented in our vacation in America) are part of that.

But the Escalade? Nope. Brings less of pride and more shame and embarrassment to the American car industry. Ha, and Caddy says that its pig suv is the "new standard of the world"? Wow, that's one hell of joke.......that many are laughing at Caddy for it.

So we have: Big, bulky and utterly humongous (with ****-poor aerodynamics.......like it even has any); lousy third-row space (for a full-size SUV); rubbish quality interior; lousy fuel economy. What else is there?

As they say: There is excess that can be accepted or is reasonable......but there is also excess that dwells on utter uselessness and stupidity.

So why is there anything at all that makes this vehicle relevant in today's world? AT ALL?
Old 10-04-11, 08:34 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in the day, my family was huge. Me and my 3 sisters, parents, and father's side grand parents. We had a Suburban (no Escalade back then) and it was great. My dad was not flying down the highway at 85+mph. We were towing stuff with luggage and other gear for multiple family trips across the great US of A. They would drop us all off and pick us up at school and it was great just launching our school bags into the truck and plopping into those huge seats. we all loved that truck and if they had the Escalade back then, doing all of that in a more luxurious car would have been great. The 'Slade serves a purpose. How many of those other SUVs can haul 7-8 people, tow huge amounts of gear, and not break down (our Suburban was solid for 8+ years).

My grandparents have passed and all of us except for my baby sister have left the house. We don't need a car like the Suburban anymore, so now we get along with a crappy minivan for brief stints when we all get together. I'm sure there are families out there that are fairly large and need to tow every now and then. A Rover or a GL? Don't think so.

I still like the Escalade. It's big, bold, brash, excessive, expensive, and utterly crap compared to the comparison, but for some families/people, it fits and performs remarkably. Plus if you have a family of large people (fat or tall), this is it. LOL
Old 10-04-11, 10:29 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I get what the marketing team was going after ... but I think the execution was terrible. They are trying to say that a "sports" car like the C-Class is outgunned by the more versatile Caddy (being that it can tow, is roomier (bigger) and fits more people. Problem is they used the lowest of low C-Class (C300) instead of the C63 AMG which is funny since he said lets not use the "V" which is the AMG equivalent. But even than, doesn't the CTS compete against the E-Class?
Old 10-04-11, 10:55 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
I think I get what the marketing team was going after ... but I think the execution was terrible. They are trying to say that a "sports" car like the C-Class is outgunned by the more versatile Caddy (being that it can tow, is roomier (bigger) and fits more people. Problem is they used the lowest of low C-Class (C300) instead of the C63 AMG which is funny since he said lets not use the "V" which is the AMG equivalent. But even than, doesn't the CTS compete against the E-Class?
As what my Basic Marketing teacher taught me last term, if your product promotion is good but the execution is way off, then you will definitely send the wrong message in your ad.

Another point, the Escalade barely surpassed the C300. And you'd thought that the 400 hp and 500+ Nm of the Caddy would have rocketed against the Benz (despite its weight).

Haha, must be the extremely ****ty aerodynamics of the Escalade that is to blame :P