Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TMG Lexus LS (650hp) spied at the Ring

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 04:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Everything exist already, is basically adding the drivetrain of the plug-in liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery technologies from the Testa Roadster to a ISF or LFA gas motor.

AKA 918 Spyder.

The biggest challenge they have to solve is how to package all that stuff into a sedan without taking up the entire trunk, and to lower the cost. A Testa Roadster without a gas engine is $150k, 918 Spyder that comes with everything is $850k.

Kinda like adding a $150k Testa Roadster to a $440k Carrera GT = 918 Spyder.

In Toyota's term, is combining a Testa Roadster with a ISF into a LS body and sell it for less then $200k. It could be done, since a ISF is much cheaper then a Carrera GT.
alright, we know how to dream now already
Old 09-21-11, 04:57 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything exist already, is basically adding the drivetrain of the plug-in liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery technologies from the Testa Roadster to a ISF or LFA gas motor.

AKA 918 Spyder.

The biggest challenge they have to solve is how to package all that stuff into a sedan without taking up the entire trunk, and to lower the cost. A Testa Roadster without a gas engine is $150k, 918 Spyder that comes with everything is $850k.

In Toyota's term, is combining a Testa Roadster with a ISF into a LS body and sell it for less then $200k. It could be done, since a ISF is much cheaper then a Carrera GT.
Old 09-21-11, 05:41 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

you are right, my bad........is Tesla
Old 09-21-11, 07:25 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
another way to look at this, looking at the spec, it seems like toyota has discovered something new and a solution to a long time problem. lower rev but more tq vs higher rev but less tq.

just imagine high low end tq for daily driving to make it even more manageable (and quieter), but when needed, push it hard and it keeps on revving and then the screaming engine tone. now that's so sick
No that's mathematically impossible. Torque, horsepower, and RPM are related to each other by a fixed formula. Specifically, for a given HP, torque and RPM are inversely related -

HP = [(Torque)*(RPM)]/5252

Here is a decent introduction to HP, torque, and RPM -

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...and_torque.htm

For a given HP, an engine that revs to 9000 will inevitably have small low end torque by virtue of the relation above.

The only practical, mathematically-viable "solution" to the problem of high revving engines having small low end torque is to produce a high revving engine with extremely high HP.

If you want to maintain 9000 RPMs but you also want sufficient low end torque, the only solution is to increase HP. You can't maintain a certain HP and high RPM and then try to artificially increase low end torque, because torque and RPM are inversely proportional to each other.
Old 09-21-11, 11:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by syzygy
No that's mathematically impossible. Torque, horsepower, and RPM are related to each other by a fixed formula. Specifically, for a given HP, torque and RPM are inversely related -

HP = [(Torque)*(RPM)]/5252

Here is a decent introduction to HP, torque, and RPM -

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...and_torque.htm

For a given HP, an engine that revs to 9000 will inevitably have small low end torque by virtue of the relation above.

The only practical, mathematically-viable "solution" to the problem of high revving engines having small low end torque is to produce a high revving engine with extremely high HP.

If you want to maintain 9000 RPMs but you also want sufficient low end torque, the only solution is to increase HP. You can't maintain a certain HP and high RPM and then try to artificially increase low end torque, because torque and RPM are inversely proportional to each other.
i am very ware of the famous equation. you have to read what i said again and also few posts back, i said this has to be FI or hybrid. it's impossible on a NA setup, but possible if there is another power source, for example say hybrid, which adds a lot of tq

for all i care, toyota has that spec sheet with the numbers shown that you can read (of course granted there are no typos on that spec sheet)
Old 09-22-11, 12:04 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

i am very ware of the famous equation. you have to read what i said again and also few posts back, i said this has to be FI or hybrid. it's impossible on a NA setup, but possible if there is another power source, for example say hybrid, which adds a lot of tq

for all i care, toyota has that spec sheet with the numbers shown that you can read (of course granted there are no typos on that spec sheet)
Ah ok my bad, I didn't read your previous posts.
Old 09-22-11, 03:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

AKA 918 Spyder.

heh... PHEV?

Makes no sense, at all. With such long range you want, it would literally weight 3 tons, not to mention the costs.
Smaller range would mean you would be left without the juice on the track.

This is why PHEVs are usually made with small gas engine.

Why would you add PHEV system and raise the price of vehicle by... 50-80k? just so you get same performance as if you would turbo it (sans the 50k of course).
Old 09-22-11, 06:26 AM
LexFather

Okay....I simply think its a tuned 5.0 with a super charger....Lexus engines outside of the LFA (which probably is someone held back for reliability) have low peak RPM and never are maxed out, they keep HP low for reliability. This to me is maybe a peak effort so again, that means 500-600hp should be reliable if produced.

Has a DTM look with those huge fender flares.

Old 09-22-11, 06:28 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's forced induction and hybrid?
Old 09-22-11, 07:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Koma
Maybe it's forced induction and hybrid?
No, no, no its a RWD platform with a V-8

lmfao

Old 09-22-11, 08:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay....I simply think its a tuned 5.0 with a super charger....Lexus engines outside of the LFA (which probably is someone held back for reliability) have low peak RPM and never are maxed out, they keep HP low for reliability. This to me is maybe a peak effort so again, that means 500-600hp should be reliable if produced.

Has a DTM look with those huge fender flares.
so you are thinking they able to make a FI setup that goes up to 9k rpm? that would be totally amazing
Old 09-22-11, 09:36 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

so you are thinking they able to make a FI setup that goes up to 9k rpm? that would be totally amazing
That would be insane

I won't be surprise if the next generation Enzo's V8 Twin Turbo have a 9k rpm redline, from Toyota Motor company............I'll believe it when I see it. They did make one of the sweetest sounding V10 ever, so never say never.
Old 09-22-11, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

That would be insane

I won't be surprise if the next generation Enzo's V8 Twin Turbo have a 9k rpm redline, from Toyota Motor company............I'll believe it when I see it. They did make one of the sweetest sounding V10 ever, so never say never.
yup, same here. we all know toyota is capable of doing great things, question has always been if they would really spend the time and effort to do it and put it into production.

it would be pure awesomeness if they create a FI setup (or any setup for that matter) with that kind of high power and tq AND high rev. i get goose bumps just thinking about it. pair that with toyota's reliability, wow what else can you ask for
Old 09-22-11, 12:21 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

The back seat is gone (or so it looks), this to me gave a hint at hybrid power. Lexus is hybrid, toyota is hybrid, why not show the world you have the best and most powerful hybrid? I seriously think the car was cut down in the weight department but the powertrain has gained it back. Why would Lexus have a twin turbo V8 when they just dropped the V8 from the GS lineup? Unless this is a testbed for the GS-F, I don't see a point in having such a powerful engine. Then again it might just be a special project? It's confusing for certain, but I do think this is a hybrid of some sort.
Old 09-22-11, 12:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TF109B
The back seat is gone (or so it looks), this to me gave a hint at hybrid power. Lexus is hybrid, toyota is hybrid, why not show the world you have the best and most powerful hybrid? I seriously think the car was cut down in the weight department but the powertrain has gained it back. Why would Lexus have a twin turbo V8 when they just dropped the V8 from the GS lineup? Unless this is a testbed for the GS-F, I don't see a point in having such a powerful engine. Then again it might just be a special project? It's confusing for certain, but I do think this is a hybrid of some sort.
obviously this would go into the F line if anything, i don't think it's remotely related to the drop of v8 for gs. no matter what this would be for the niche market and not something that "makes economy sense"

confusing or not i think it's just great that lexus is doing it

Quick Reply: TMG Lexus LS (650hp) spied at the Ring