Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda Millenia

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 07:14 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I had a 1995 Millenia S with the Miller Cycle engine. I bought it in 1998 with 25,000 miles. And I loved it. It was my first entry into a luxury car (before I had sports cars). Basically, it was my prelude to Lexus.

Actually, as you can see from pix below, I bought my GS while I still had my Millenia.

Interesting story about my Millenia: With about 175,000 miles and running rock-solid, I was going to take it across country for about 8 weeks, leisurely trip. I had dreamed for years of a leisurely drive across country. With my Millenia S, I just happened to have enough vacation time and money saved to do it, and I was ready. Had planned the trip for like 4 months, was going to see like 10 state parks and see friends all over the country. 2 weeks before the trip, I was t-boned in Annapolis by a large Mitsu SUV. Totaled my Millenia....I was fine, not a scratch, luckily it was passenger side. But I had to cancel the trip (didn't have the GS yet).

I bought the car back, with a salvage title. I could fix it for less than the insurance check (had a buddy that could do all the repair work on the body). Car rode well after, but in the end, the Miller Cycle started to fail about 50,000 miles later. Wayyyy to expensive to fix that Miller Cycle (like $4500+), so I sold the car to a Mazda tech guy who said he would replace the engine (as my interior was still immaculate, except for the leather seats which wore badly).

Still haven't taken that cross-country trip yet....never had the vacation time and funds simultaneously ever again. Hopefully before I die...

Great car though....

Old 08-27-11, 07:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Always been a fan of the way those Mazdas looked. Don't know much about them, but aesthetically.... they look fantastic. Great proportions.
Old 08-27-11, 11:06 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see the Millenia get some of the love it deserves. I had a 1995 Millenia S that we absolutely loved. The "s" upgrade really made all the difference to me. It was pretty quick and it drove very well.

At the time we lived up in Boulder Creek and it had a cooling issue on the way up Highway 17, a steep, mountain highway. After that we were just worried about other issues from the overheating and we had the opportunity to replace it with a 2000 BMW 750iL as a company car.

She was still a looker when we sold her!

Old 08-28-11, 05:34 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
So I had a 1995 Millenia S with the Miller Cycle engine. I bought it in 1998 with 25,000 miles. And I loved it. It was my first entry into a luxury car (before I had sports cars). Basically, it was my prelude to Lexus.

Actually, as you can see from pix below, I bought my GS while I still had my Millenia.

Interesting story about my Millenia: With about 175,000 miles and running rock-solid, I was going to take it across country for about 8 weeks, leisurely trip. I had dreamed for years of a leisurely drive across country. With my Millenia S, I just happened to have enough vacation time and money saved to do it, and I was ready. Had planned the trip for like 4 months, was going to see like 10 state parks and see friends all over the country. 2 weeks before the trip, I was t-boned in Annapolis by a large Mitsu SUV. Totaled my Millenia....I was fine, not a scratch, luckily it was passenger side. But I had to cancel the trip (didn't have the GS yet).

I bought the car back, with a salvage title. I could fix it for less than the insurance check (had a buddy that could do all the repair work on the body). Car rode well after, but in the end, the Miller Cycle started to fail about 50,000 miles later. Wayyyy to expensive to fix that Miller Cycle (like $4500+), so I sold the car to a Mazda tech guy who said he would replace the engine (as my interior was still immaculate, except for the leather seats which wore badly).

Still haven't taken that cross-country trip yet....never had the vacation time and funds simultaneously ever again. Hopefully before I die...

Great car though....

Great story! Nice GS too.
Old 08-28-11, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by suislide
I had a 95 and flipped it over and it looked like someone died . I came out without a scratch. Well made car.
I'm glad to see that you weren't hurt, but what on earth did you do to flip it? The Millenia, by sedan standards, handles quite well, and its fairly low center of gravity is resistant (but not immune) to classic flip-overs.
Old 08-28-11, 12:24 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Our neighbors had the old boxy 929, the more modern round 929, and the Millenia S. I remember riding in the old boxy 929 and it had these air vents that moved automatically. The cars were pretty nice for their day. In the end I remember seeing both 929s being towed away, i'm guessing they donated them. The Millenia was for sale at one point, but I think one of their daughters drove it and totaled it. They now all have Audis, probably due to the fact that Mazda didn't keep up with the Luxury market.
Old 08-28-11, 01:07 PM
ekc
Pole Position

I remember I was in market for one 8 or 9 years ago, ended up with a Passat VR6 which was my first stick shift. I've always liked the Millenia styling. Still wouldn't mind owning one today as a daily driver.
Old 08-28-11, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
Our neighbors had the old boxy 929, the more modern round 929, and the Millenia S. I remember riding in the old boxy 929 and it had these air vents that moved automatically. The cars were pretty nice for their day. In the end I remember seeing both 929s being towed away, i'm guessing they donated them. The Millenia was for sale at one point, but I think one of their daughters drove it and totaled it. They now all have Audis, probably due to the fact that Mazda didn't keep up with the Luxury market.
The Millenia was generally a nice car, but, IMO, it didn't ride/drive or have the solid-feel of a true luxury sedan. It had an optional (and interesting) Miller-cycle engine, but, in general, felt more or less like a 626 with some additional trim inside, and the body structure had a few creaks in it. It was definitely not as smooth/quiet or refined as the Toyota Avalon, which it competed against.
Old 08-28-11, 07:29 PM
Rykster
Pole Position

I always liked the body styling on the Millenia. Very nice, especially when you think of some of Mazda's other body styles.
Old 08-28-11, 07:50 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Cool

Cool thread. Nice little trip down memory lane. Ahhh the memories...Just thinking about my cousin taking is mother's white on white and us cruising down Palisades in Englewood. You couldn't tell us nothing.
Old 08-28-11, 08:04 PM
305is350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brother had one for years, i still remember it's pearl white paint was bullet proof lol, nice ride.
Old 08-29-11, 09:33 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
My uncle had a Millenia in the '90s. I never saw the car, but he speaks fondly of it and AFAIK, didn't have any problems with it. He traded it in for a 2001 Maxima.

These things are pretty rare though. I don't remember the last time I saw one, though I don't really look out for them. I'll be I see one tomorrow now that I've mentioned them.
And I was right, a Red one pulled out in front of me Saturday night.