Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

37 mpg Audi A8 Hybrid in the works

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and this is why i think hybrid sedans in general are pretty lame...

[/COLOR][/FONT]
well if you read german article above, Audi hybrid system sucks :-). It is 4cly that less efficient than 360hp M35h.
Old 07-10-12, 07:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
there was an review in AMS between A6, 5 series and M35h and germans really didnt like germans. Apperantly, while Infiniti is jerky and weird at times, it gets A LOT better consumption in real life, and A6 and 5 series cant match anything close to their ratings, even in their testing loops. Autobild also got 40% to 50% consumption for A6 and 5 series than official numbers.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/v...t-5035840.html

No wonder BMW made a deal to get Lexus powertrains :-). If we remember from US tests, GS was at least 10% more efficient than Infiniti.
Wow thanks for posting that.

Old 12-04-14, 02:19 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anything ever come of this? I know that BMW did their active hybrid thing with the 7-series but they continued to pursue the twisted more more more POWER model rather than to actually implement the hybrid for the FUEL savings it would have afforded.

Now that Lexus has PROVEN that a 4cyl in their ES300h is powerful (enough) and sips fuel @ 40MPG you would have thought that Audi would have matched that with their own version ...by now.

I personally want a A8 Hybrid Diesel that gets 40MPG in the city (mostly Hybrid) and 45MPG on the interstate (when using mostly pure Oil Burning POWER!

PS - Oh yea, and since it would also (obviously) be a Quattro, i would also work as a Ski machine! LOL
Old 12-04-14, 03:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bunka
Did anything ever come of this? I know that BMW did their active hybrid thing with the 7-series but they continued to pursue the twisted more more more POWER model rather than to actually implement the hybrid for the FUEL savings it would have afforded.

Now that Lexus has PROVEN that a 4cyl in their ES300h is powerful (enough) and sips fuel @ 40MPG you would have thought that Audi would have matched that with their own version ...by now.

I personally want a A8 Hybrid Diesel that gets 40MPG in the city (mostly Hybrid) and 45MPG on the interstate (when using mostly pure Oil Burning POWER!

PS - Oh yea, and since it would also (obviously) be a Quattro, i would also work as a Ski machine! LOL
i regularly read german mags, their hybrids are not advanced enough yet. I think they will try using PHEV to bridge the gap and offer something different. German mags this year have rated new VW hybrids as worse than Toyota's, and UK mags have rated new C class diesel hybrid as worse than IS300h.

Right now they are doing it to show the investors that they have the tech, and not to actually sell serious number of cars... that might change in the future if diesels ever go out of fashion in Europe, they will also have to turn to hybrids.