Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Ease of maintenance / reliability ?
Lincoln town car
75.00%
Cadillac DTS
25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

What is easier to Maintain Lincoln or Cadillac ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 01:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
You just just added 20,000 lbs to your vehicle, if the only issue is burning some oil, thats not a problem.

Lincoln 4.6 are not cheap, my Uncles Town car threw some SES lights and when he took it in they replaced a ton of coil packs on it, and some other electronic computer related stuff, total cost of repair was $6000, yeah thats high but it was also at 59,900 miles and was covered by the warranty, I don't know if the price was artificially inflated so the dealer would get more back for the warranty work, but even at 3000 out of pocket is not something I want to pay.

Keep in mind my 70 year old uncle is not about to go online and do the repairs himself, even if a the total price of parts is 200 bucks
Why would anyone take this car to the stealership, thats just asking to get raped. It is the same chassis and motor as the crown vic, mechanics know all the ins and outs of this car like the palm of their own hand, since these cars massively used as fleet, taxis and car services. Theres a ton of cheap aftermarket replacement parts for it.
Old 08-08-11, 02:08 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
He has been in business 20 years, but his limos new cost basically sticker price followed by 100k upgrade, his cost of overhead reflects his daily payout, when he started he did airport runs with a large sedan, made about 100 bucks a day and slowly got bigger, right now he would never start a limo business, he is getting screwed on insurance in Jersey, the only reason he is surviving because of his size, but he does rent out to smaller fleets.

Get someone who is mechanically inclined, your not buying a Town Car or DTS, burning oil is not what your worried about, your buying a car that has just been altered, simple explanation is you put ridiculously large spacers on your car, cause the wheels are flush and it looks good, but how much did you just alter the force acting on the tie rods and spindles, I've seen several hondas with broken axles.

Town Car as an exotic, in terms of keeping an eye on it, driving 500 miles a day or a week, excellerates wear, your most important items to check almost daily are brakes, suspension front and rear, check cost of tires, the rears are usually inflated to 60psi or more and the centers wear out, your not adding a ton of weight and keeping the tires at 32 you also go through brakes, and be careful on hot days especially, I have driven limos and lost the brakes, its a hell of a feeling, kinda feels like a boat but with targets fast approaching

Insurance covers you if someone sues, but usually not you, when your in a livery business, your rates will go up when and if other companies crash or get in accidents or the laws change, in the last 5 years insurance has changed in NY/NJ and rates have gone up on my buddy.

Right now his limo business brings in the money for his son to race INDY cars, and meet and Danica Patrick
Oh wow, yea I will obviously start small ie 1 or 2 cars. One for airport the other for I guess occasions.

I do know an independent mechanic who I will take the limo to. So the dealership prices I can avoid.

Wow your buddy did really good. Must be on top of the competition.

Thanks for the info on the town car and keeping an eye on it daily.

I thought that it would have a similar interval in terms of service as a regular car. Ie 15 k 30 k , ...90 k etc....

Was planning on putting away 500 a month for repairs or does that seem to low ?

There is a lot of potential in a limo company if its done right, and of course getting lucky with the limo in terms of repairs having as little as possible.

It doesnt get super hot in my area maybe in the year we will get temperatures with humidity in the 100s but most of the time its in the 80s in the summer and in the winter goes straight down to the negatives.
Old 08-10-11, 12:25 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Thanks guys for your input.

I was considering to buy the Lincoln limo but then I saw this:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/CADILLAC/...o/19_4275496_/

It is at the upper end of my budget but, wow I think that's one of the nicest limo for the price and with low mileage 75 K km = approx 50 K miles.

What do you guys think ?
Old 08-11-11, 06:16 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Need more advice:

Just picking some more info, for the company. This time for an airport service vehicle.

Was wondering about the rear leg room, in an ls430 year '05 ?

Say if one is coming from a trip and has a limo service waiting at the airport, you would want to have a vehicle with ample rear leg room.

I am debating against a lincoln town car, lexus es350, and ;05+ Toyota Avalon.

Again advice will be really appreciated.
Old 08-11-11, 06:27 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the Lincoln. Huge *** trunk for luggage, looks executive and most celebs that are transported will most likely be in a TC.
Old 08-11-11, 08:40 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Why would anyone take this car to the stealership, thats just asking to get raped. It is the same chassis and motor as the crown vic, mechanics know all the ins and outs of this car like the palm of their own hand, since these cars massively used as fleet, taxis and car services. Theres a ton of cheap aftermarket replacement parts for it.
Can you read, it was covered under warranty and my uncle is a 70 year olds with more money then he knows what to do with, he don't give a **** about money especially when it's warrantied

My Uncle does not do the ghetto hook up crap anymore, he has stories and stories when he was younger
Old 08-15-11, 05:57 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

So after taking a few test drives in quite a few cars that could be used as an airport service car. Even went as far as the ls460, but cant afford it .

The caddy stretch is costing me 30 K, with 50 k miles. Hopefully no one picks it up before I do.

Anyways as mentioned above the Town car is the best bet for airport service.

There are a few for sale, but am wondering how many miles/ kms would be too much. Ie when problems are more prone to happen.

For example: There is an '05 Town car, full maintenance records, no repairs on the transmission not even a flush. It was used as a service vehicle for the Mayor.

$13,000 with 80 k miles with tax becomes 14690.

Another one is $17,000 with 47.5 miles with tax becomes 19210.

Yup tax is 13%.

So the question is should I cheap out a little and get the one for $13,000 and keep the savings for potential repairs down the road ?

Or best spend the extra 4000 and get something with a lot less mileage ?

Thank you
Old 08-15-11, 06:50 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

You got it, fork out the extra cash for the one w/ less mileage. You won't regret it.
Old 08-15-11, 08:32 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
You got it, fork out the extra cash for the one w/ less mileage. You won't regret it.
Alright thanks;

You gave me good input with your posts
Old 08-15-11, 09:13 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NVTHSLEX
Alright thanks;

You gave me good input with your posts
No problem. I hope your company prospers. Keep us updated
Old 11-27-11, 10:27 PM
NVTHSLEX
Lead Lap

Alright, so got to put a small update here.

Limo company is now rolling...

Here are some pics:

Old 11-27-11, 11:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ yeah buddy! congrats, GL in your business endeavor
Old 11-28-11, 04:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

When i was in NYC i saw a ridiculous amount of town cars (i love these and is what i was driven around in in the Philippines for a month in) but i also saw 04-06 ls430's quite a bit. Those are around the same price as town cars of a few years newer, might be a car you would consider looking into? As for the limo very nice, i'm liking the white
Old 11-28-11, 04:39 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Looking good man
Old 11-28-11, 05:41 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Congrats, what did you get as your other vehicle?

Quick Reply: What is easier to Maintain Lincoln or Cadillac ?