Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Winter Car Suggestions? 8-10k budget...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 08:47 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The AWD on the Matrix (assuming all-season or winter tires) gives generally good traction, but the low ground clearance may limit it in deep snow. Toyota should have done to it what Subaru did with the Forester and Outback....given it a slightly-raised suspension for added ground-clearance.
Put mine through 2 Watertown NY lake effect winters. Frequently plowed through drifts of 2-3 feet. Never an issue. I suppose if you got into some thick wet heavy stuff and got hung up you might have an issue though.

Wife opened up the garage door one day while I was deployed the first time, and snow was up almost to the roof overhang. Ended up setting a record that year. 7 feet of snow in 5 hours.

She shoveled it down to a meager 2-3 feet and backed out of the garage, using the car to clear a good bit of the snow.

Just beware, the 4 cylinder with the AWD, is completely gutless. It was a 1.8L, and you would be lucky to be at 60 tomorrow if you floored it today. I would swear it almost killed us in Texas on vacation.
Old 07-12-11, 10:31 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doooon't buy an AWD Matrix. My parents have one and it's given them a few really major in the last year and a half. First, the transmission completely went out around 75-80k miles. $3000 replacement for them. Now, a bearing in the rear is starting to go out, making a loud whining sort of noise, and they were quoted at around $1200 for the fix. The car is presently at 85k-90k. My mother's friend, who has an AWD Vibe, has had serious transmission problems as well. And, apparently, the bearing problem is common from what. I've heard.

There are much better cars out there than the Matrix.
Old 07-12-11, 12:37 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Doooon't buy an AWD Matrix. My parents have one and it's given them a few really major in the last year and a half. First, the transmission completely went out around 75-80k miles. $3000 replacement for them. Now, a bearing in the rear is starting to go out, making a loud whining sort of noise, and they were quoted at around $1200 for the fix. The car is presently at 85k-90k. My mother's friend, who has an AWD Vibe, has had serious transmission problems as well. And, apparently, the bearing problem is common from what. I've heard.

There are much better cars out there than the Matrix.
I am betting thats what happened to mine. I did not keep it long enough to find out. When the toyota dealer said they werent going to cover the repair, because I did not buy the car at their dealership (among other nasty things), I called corporate, but it did no good. I ended up banned from the premisis permanently after I went ape**** when the Service manage called my wife a ***** right in front of me. I drove that car to the Honda dealer across the street, got payoff for it, turned around and bought a Civic. Never looked back.

So, while I dont reccomend the matrix as an AWD, in FWD form its probably fine.

EDIT: ever thought about an older Nissan Pathfinder? Another one of those bullet-proof tanks.
Old 07-12-11, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Just beware, the 4 cylinder with the AWD, is completely gutless. It was a 1.8L, and you would be lucky to be at 60 tomorrow if you floored it today. I would swear it almost killed us in Texas on vacation.
Yep...non-turbo 4s with automatic/AWD are certainly not dragsters. Life in the slower lanes can be one of the prices you pay for the AWD traction and the reasonably good economy of the 4.
Old 07-12-11, 07:17 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep...non-turbo 4s with automatic/AWD are certainly not dragsters. Life in the slower lanes can be one of the prices you pay for the AWD traction and the reasonably good economy of the 4.
yup, the story of our life in our Honda Element... but we <3 it