Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai on not creating a prestige brand: "Only Toyota was successful"

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 10:43 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, it is a free world after all, but you 95% comment only on hyundai stuff, so lets be real here for a bit, ok? It is ok to like Hyundai on Lexus forums... we are nice that way.
Just because the first thing I comment on is a Hyundai thread doesn't a thing sir. Please don't be so quick to judge me.
Old 07-01-11, 10:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Just because the first thing I comment on is a Hyundai thread doesn't a thing sir. Please don't be so quick to judge me.
there is nothing judging about being an hyundai fan
Old 07-01-11, 10:45 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL like you guys are calling him to "come out," anyways welcome to Club Lexus!!

Hyundai's lineup sure is impressive. I can see why they are cautious about making a luxury sub-brand, they don't want to set themselves up for failure. So perhaps someday they will, they've already gotten the Genesis right, but I've yet to see an Equus on the road.
Old 07-01-11, 10:49 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is nothing judging about being an hyundai fan
That means? All I'm asking is people to not call me out as some sort of troll or something.
Old 07-01-11, 10:50 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
LOL like you guys are calling him to "come out," anyways welcome to Club Lexus!!

Hyundai's lineup sure is impressive. I can see why they are cautious about making a luxury sub-brand, they don't want to set themselves up for failure. So perhaps someday they will, they've already gotten the Genesis right, but I've yet to see an Equus on the road.
Thank you. Thus far I have seen a total of three on the road with two being on the same day on one of our main streets in Greensboro.
Old 07-01-11, 12:04 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

It was smart for Hyundai to sell the Genesis and Equus as Hyundais, rather than as a separate brand. This is because these two cars have helped enhance the public's perception of Hyundai. I live in the most brand-snobbish place in the world, and even here people are starting to warm up to Hyundai because they now make $30k+ luxury sedans. In the past, folks here flubbed their noses at Hyundai because all they made were econoboxes.

By the way, if Hyundai had created a luxury brand, it would not have automatically improved the image of Hyundai itself. You would be surprised how many people don't know that Lexus is a part of Toyota.
Old 07-02-11, 12:55 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by scgt652
It was smart for Hyundai to sell the Genesis and Equus as Hyundais, rather than as a separate brand. This is because these two cars have helped enhance the public's perception of Hyundai. I live in the most brand-snobbish place in the world, and even here people are starting to warm up to Hyundai because they now make $30k+ luxury sedans. In the past, folks here flubbed their noses at Hyundai because all they made were econoboxes.

By the way, if Hyundai had created a luxury brand, it would not have automatically improved the image of Hyundai itself. You would be surprised how many people don't know that Lexus is a part of Toyota.
It raises the status of the brand, but how does it make owners of the Genesis feel when they go to the dealer and associate and sit with Accent owners for example? These are the cold hard facts. Genesis owners are buying a luxurious car, yet are getting a mass market dealer experience. The two don't add up for Genesis owners.

Yes with the Equus Hyundai skips the dealership entirely, because they know the problems there would be if Equus owners came into a Hyundai dealership. Hyundai sends reps to the homes of Equus owners instead, and everything is home serviced or delivered. Hyundai however will not be able to sustain that on a large scale. Genesis loyalty rates could definitely suffer as a result.
Old 07-02-11, 01:19 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It raises the status of the brand, but how does it make owners of the Genesis feel when they go to the dealer and associate and sit with Accent owners for example? These are the cold hard facts. Genesis owners are buying a luxurious car, yet are getting a mass market dealer experience. The two don't add up for Genesis owners.

Yes with the Equus Hyundai skips the dealership entirely, because they know the problems there would be if Equus owners came into a Hyundai dealership. Hyundai sends reps to the homes of Equus owners instead, and everything is home serviced or delivered. Hyundai however will not be able to sustain that on a large scale. Genesis loyalty rates could definitely suffer as a result.
You bring up a valid point. The dealership experience offered by Hyundai is far inferior to that of Lexus. I would actually compare it to the differences between Nordstrom and Loehmanns. Lexus is similar to Nordstrom in that they both offer high quality products AND superb customer service at a premium price. Consequently, Hyundai is like Loehmanns where you can buy many of the same things sold at Nordstrom at a lower price, but you won't receive the same high level of customer service.
Old 07-02-11, 03:43 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

When you get into the "luxury" section of retail (Nordstroms, designer handbags etc.) it's ALL about the customer service. Sure you spend X amount on a bag, but it's the service you're also paying for.

Scgt652, do you live in LA? Reason being is although people have opened up to the Genesis (I see at least 1 a day), they haven't fully embraced a 58k+ Hyundai. At that price range, they'd much rather be driving a 5 series or E-class which is apparent since they're a dime a dozen.
Old 07-02-11, 04:48 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
When you get into the "luxury" section of retail (Nordstroms, designer handbags etc.) it's ALL about the customer service. Sure you spend X amount on a bag, but it's the service you're also paying for.

Scgt652, do you live in LA? Reason being is although people have opened up to the Genesis (I see at least 1 a day), they haven't fully embraced a 58k+ Hyundai. At that price range, they'd much rather be driving a 5 series or E-class which is apparent since they're a dime a dozen.
Yes, I live in Pasadena. You are correct....the vast majority of folks here would never spend $58k on a Hyundai. But then again, up until a few years ago, most people in LA were reluctant to buy ANY Hyundai. In fact, Hyundais were almost nonexistent around here before the Genesis arrived. Now they are becoming more popular, and there is a small, but growing number of people who are indeed spending $30k+ on Hyundais. By the way, I know several Genesis owners, and they are all first-time Hyundai buyers who have told me they would have never considered buying a Hyundai prior to the Genesis.
Old 07-02-11, 10:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
It already seems kind of arrogant with the obvious diss on Acura and Infiniti, but in a way they are correct.
I agree there

At least they do have a V8 (slap in the face for Acura) and the Equus flagship (slap in the face for Infiniti).
Old 07-02-11, 03:01 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

There is definitely no denying that the Genesis has definitely raised the brand perception of Hyundai for the better. Still, only time will tell on how long term reliability is. I'm pretty sure Hyundai will eventually create a sub-brand for their luxury car segment.
Old 07-03-11, 10:41 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scgt652

they are all first-time Hyundai buyers who have told me they would have never considered buying a Hyundai prior to the Genesis.
Thats me right there. Although i got the coupe not the sedan, i still never saw myself buying a hyundai.
Old 07-04-11, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This is really infuriating to continue to see the media citing this . The Genesis sedan NEVER sold that much. That includes coupe AND sedan. Someone needs to start calling out these journalists for ridiculous mistakes .
but it's ok that BMW combines coupe and sedan sales for 3 series?

They do need to tone down their arrogance and obnoxiousness, but I doubt it will happen. Seems like it's part of their corporate culture.
lol, have no idea where you're seeing arrogance and obnoxiousness. they're focused on aggressively improving and actually doing it. it's toyota that got cocky in mid 00's and have paid for it. toyota now having the most boring line-up in automotivedom and lexus having a vulnerable weaker line-up with more competitors than ever. but hopefully soon-to-launch models for both toyota and lexus will change all that!
Old 07-04-11, 12:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't see arrogance and obnoxiousness. Aggressive yes, but nothing wrong with that.

Quick Reply: Hyundai on not creating a prestige brand: "Only Toyota was successful"