Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: House introduces bill calling for ban on holding phones while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 12:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Report: House introduces bill calling for ban on holding phones while driving

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/24/h...ones-while-dr/

The Detroit Free Press is reporting that legislation introduced to the U.S. House of Representatives may ban drivers from even holding a cell phone while behind the wheel. The Safe Drivers Act of 2011, introduced by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-NY, aims to prevent all drivers from holding any mobile device while operating a vehicle by directing the Department of Transportation to enact standards to prohibit the behavior. McCarthy said that making phone calls, texting or using apps is just as dangerous as drunk driving and much more prevalent.

The legislation incorporates provisions for a Department of Transportation study on whether or not talking on the phone at all poses a serious safety risk. The findings would be reported in two years time, at which time adjustments to the measure might be considered.

Meanwhile, drivers would still be allowed to use hands-free devices for mobile communication. Additionally, certain emergency situations would exempt drivers from penalty if caught using a phone while driving.
Attached Thumbnails Report: House introduces bill calling for ban on holding phones while driving-happy-woman-on-phone-while-driving.jpg  
Old 06-24-11, 12:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,390 Posts

that would suck. we should ban passengers next, in particular whiny kids.
Old 06-24-11, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that would suck. we should ban passengers next, in particular whiny kids.
not a bad idea, ban the use of any radios too i say

but seriously, i think that's a good move. if you already have bluetooth, there is really no reason to hold the phone
Old 06-24-11, 01:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,390 Posts

i have yet to hear a bluetooth setup that sounds decent.
Old 06-24-11, 01:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

A complete waste of time even writing this bill up.

I'm not defending the practice of yakking-while-driving with a hand-held unit (I think it's irresponsible and potentially dangerous), but what makes Congress think they can enact a law that can be practically enforced when no state has been able to seriously, or even significantly, enforce their No-Cell-Phone-Laws inside their own borders? There are simply too many people doing it. In my area, I'd estimate that I see 1 out of every 5 drivers (sometimes more than that) yakking on a cell-phone at any given moment. We tried enacting a 55-MPH speed-limit for freeways almost 40 years ago, and it was a joke...almost completely unenforceable. We're going to find the EXACT same thing with cell-phones. The public is simply determined to use them, laws or no laws.
Old 06-24-11, 01:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i have yet to hear a bluetooth setup that sounds decent.
Agreed. My brother occasionally calls me from the hands-free Bluetooth unit in his Kia Soul, and I can't always make out everything he's saying.
Old 06-24-11, 02:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

If they made traction control a must on all car sold in the states they should do this as well. There are way many accidents and deaths related to the use of a phone while driving. I know I have personally honked at someone driving like an idiot while on the phone.
Old 06-24-11, 02:38 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn that phone in the pic looks SUPER old Reminds me of an old sprint phone my parents had back in 2001.....lol

But yeah i'm all for it, I don't know how many people will put down their phones when driving tho. I don't think many people are phased by the law in CA saying no texting/calling unless its handsfree. People still do it all the time. And I haven't really heard of many people getting pulled over or cited for it either, and CA is NOTORIOUS for people being on the phone while driving.
Old 06-24-11, 02:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i think it's 2 separate issues. if there is no law, then it's hard to enforce. when there is a law, then it's up to enforcement. right now they are in the lazy mode and not do much, but say when revenue is drying up, we will see how hard they work in enforcing this. to me it's just the same as speeding law. in normal days you see more people speeding and law enforcement are more ok. but when it comes long weekends, end of month, or some other occasions, they work harder, much harder

regarding BT, i don't know about all cars, but in all my lexus and bmw, the bt have been decent enough for communication. same with my friend's headset, not bad at all. if anything that's just for manufacturers to improve their product. i don't take that as excuse to hold a phone when driving
Old 06-24-11, 03:05 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our State has already banned holding cell phones while driving. It can't be holding it down in your lap. Problem with the law is the police officer has to witness you holding the phone, so unless you are a moron and talking on the phone with a cop next to you it is almost impossible to enforce. We had this law for at least a year or two already and I still talk on my phone just like I used to. Only difference is if I see a cop I put the phone down on my lap where the cop can't see it. When he passes I continue my conversation.
Old 06-24-11, 04:07 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet, my new business is about to take off! The "Headband", only $0.99 + $5 s/h. PM to order now!

Old 06-24-11, 04:16 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im all for it, This should of been introduced years ago imo.
Old 06-24-11, 04:53 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

So let me get this straight...the government wants to create a law, spend money on getting it on the books, but understands that local police cannot enforce it? Much the same as a local sheriff (ahem...) cannot deport those who are here illegally, he cannot enforce a federal law against the use of mobiles while driving. The only police who can actually enforce this are federal, or DC metro, so this is an exercise in wasting money.

I understand the need for it, but it's up to the states since federal laws are not enforced by city, county, or state police. Most of the time, laws have overlap so they can be arrested for a local charge and brought up to the federal level if it is more beneficial, but this isn't one of those overlaps except in states that ban it.

I generally don't like to be on the fone while driving anyway, so it won't really affect me much. I have 2 bluetoof and one wired headset. Good enough for me.

Big Mack
Old 06-24-11, 05:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

You cannot make enforce laws against getting distracted, going to be impossible to enforce
Old 06-24-11, 07:43 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
You cannot make enforce laws against getting distracted, going to be impossible to enforce
Unfortunately, your entirely correct. However, study upon study have shown that it's not the act of holding a phone to your ear but the actual conversation that is a dangerous distraction. Passengers in the car get the same visual cues as the driver and understand when is an appropriate time to continue a conversation. However, the cellphone conversation continues even as the driving conditions change. Until there is a law that addresses the distracted driving, none of these laws will do any good to make the roads safer.

In WA, we've had a law in place for the last year that makes driving while holding a cell-phone a primary offense meaning you can be pulled over just for that. The prior two or three years it was a secondary offense meaning you had to break some other law first to get cited for it. Guess what? Hasn't change a thing or at least that's my perception. I constantly see people driving and talking on their cellphone. Of course they're the same ones making dangerous lane changes that lead to accidents. So frustrating!

Quick Reply: Report: House introduces bill calling for ban on holding phones while driving