Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you think women are attracted to what men drive?
Definitely yes!
62.07%
Not really.
37.93%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 11:37 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

That's interesting. I was proctoring a class and overheard some guys talking about one of their fellow female friends. They were saying how she shouldn't be going out with her current bf because "he drives just an IS....she should be going after a guy who can roll up in a '3-class' or 'c-series.'" But I never realized the subsequent effect a car purchase has on a guy's ability to find a mate.
Old 06-17-11, 12:08 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ very true. You guys can be certain that I will be picking up girls with my parents' mini van... that is the message i want to send out to ladies.
Old 06-17-11, 12:13 PM
MissLexus
Driver

I was totally going to start a thread similar to this in the club house forum! Being a woman I can tell you first hand that having a nice car is definitely attractive. Even more so for a car enthusiast like myself! One of the things that really bothers me is when a guy doesnt take care of his car. It doesnt have to be a flashy sports car or something expensive, at least take care of it and keep it clean! I had an ex that had a very expensive car and it was just trashed. It had junk mail, food wrappers and empty bottles (water and soda not alcohol lol) and dirt all over the carpets etc. It was a total turn off! I think it is a major reflection on someones overall cleanliness and lifestyle...

thats my 2 cents :-)
Old 06-17-11, 12:15 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

Old 06-17-11, 12:19 PM
kannon
Pole Position

I think women are certainly attracted to nice cars. But the article says that the reason we men buy flashy things like a nice car is that we are trying to attract women. And im not sold on that part. At least for me I didn't think nor care about womens feelings toward what car I bought. I just wanted something fast, good looking, and comfortable.
Old 06-17-11, 12:22 PM
cloo7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MissLexus
... One of the things that really bothers me is when a guy doesnt take care of his car...
Well... base on my experience in general... most girls tend not to take care of their cars. You can make the case about the basic maintenance or interior cleanliness.

I might be flamed, but at least there will be some truth behind it...
Old 06-17-11, 12:39 PM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fact, especially in a big city like mine Miami. When I had my Integra half the women at my job would not pay attention to me. After I got the IS it was like I was a totaly new man.

Hell when my then GF (now wife) split up I went on a date with one of them and I took my Integra. First question was "Why didn't you bring the Lexus?".
Old 06-17-11, 01:49 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kannon
I think women are certainly attracted to nice cars. But the article says that the reason we men buy flashy things like a nice car is that we are trying to attract women. And im not sold on that part. At least for me I didn't think nor care about womens feelings toward what car I bought. I just wanted something fast, good looking, and comfortable.
so your telling me if all the women in the world disappear, you would still buy a good looking car? I can understand the fast(fun) and comfortable part but I would give no regards to how I look. There's no one left to impress, so you might as well only care about having fun.
Old 06-17-11, 02:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
so your telling me if all the women in the world disappear, you would still buy a good looking car? I can understand the fast(fun) and comfortable part but I would give no regards to how I look. There's no one left to impress, so you might as well only care about having fun.
seeing a nice looking car can be part of the fun
Old 06-17-11, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

regarding to this topic though, very interesting. i do think women in general are attracted to nice cars. i mean, come on, i don't care if it's men or women, i rather get in a nice new clean car, rather than a old, rough running, rusted car with stained seats. it's just nature for everyone.
Old 06-17-11, 02:14 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do believe that women are attracted to the kind of cars that men drive.
However, I don't base my decisions on that; I pick the car that I, myself, like. I don't weigh the factor of attractiveness from the opposite sex into that decision. I love cars and I love driving, and just because it doesn't look attractive to someone else won't change my view on the car. I'm not trying to win over a girl with my ride. Most people don't even know what car I drive unless they actually see me driving. I don't flaunt my car like it's a trophy or anything.
I do think that many men do select certain cars because it makes them look better in the eyes of women, which is a shame, IMO. I consider that compensating for the lack of GAME.

And to answer the question, my taste in cars would probably not change if all the women of the world disappear (that would be the worst day of my life!).
Of course, there's no real way to prove this or anything, it's just what I feel/think would happen.
Old 06-17-11, 02:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

women are attracted to security. In todays society money is what gives us financial security , therefore the car will attract women. Its not the power and speed as much as the price I would think.

If you think of it from a animal behavior perspective its pretty clear. The same applies to your home. Also a good job ( Dr, lawyer, business, etc)
Old 06-17-11, 02:23 PM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MissLexus
I was totally going to start a thread similar to this in the club house forum! Being a woman I can tell you first hand that having a nice car is definitely attractive. Even more so for a car enthusiast like myself! One of the things that really bothers me is when a guy doesnt take care of his car. It doesnt have to be a flashy sports car or something expensive, at least take care of it and keep it clean! I had an ex that had a very expensive car and it was just trashed. It had junk mail, food wrappers and empty bottles (water and soda not alcohol lol) and dirt all over the carpets etc. It was a total turn off! I think it is a major reflection on someones overall cleanliness and lifestyle...

thats my 2 cents :-)
Word, Doesn´t matter the car as long as its clean and good smelling
Old 06-17-11, 03:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,387 Posts

dappy - your original thread title "interesting article" was content free so i changed it. please use more descriptive titles in future. thanks.
Old 06-17-11, 04:12 PM
MissLexus
Driver

Originally Posted by cloo7
Well... base on my experience in general... most girls tend not to take care of their cars. You can make the case about the basic maintenance or interior cleanliness.

I might be flamed, but at least there will be some truth behind it...
Oh I have no disagreement that there are all kinds of people (girls and guys) who dont take care of their car! My point was mainly just to say that while fancy cars do attract women, it's a major turn off if the car is dirty, smells bad, or is full of random stuff and trash :-/

Quick Reply: Men drive sports cars to attract women, says study