Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are Americans Too Big To Drive Small?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 01:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

average americans

Old 05-27-11, 01:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
The younger generation are more conscious of sustainability and environmental responsibility so we will likely see this translate into smaller and more efficient car sales.
ROFL HAHAHA OMG now that's funny.
Old 05-27-11, 01:26 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe another reason why so many Americans dislike small cars is because of the perceived image that they're uncomfortable, unsafe, cramped and perhaps underpowered (since they tend to have smaller engines).

Modern small cars are actually quite roomy inside, especially those with a pure FWD layout.

Although my 1 series is spacious enough for me and my wife upfront, the rear seats are virtually useless. I'm 6'4" so my seat needs to be shoved back all the way - which eliminates any remaining leg space in the rear. Aside from that, however, the 1er is quite roomy upfront and offers a practical and large trunk. Still, I am glad BMW didn't bring this model to North America as it doesn't make sense for the American market in its current form.

I don't think I need to talk about my Golf since that car was sold in the North American market.

The Mercedes B class of my in-laws on the other hand feels even more spacious overall than my ex-W204 C class. It's a purely FWD car with no AWD versions available, hence no space-consuming bump in front of the rear seats for the transmission shaft. The trunk is about as big as the luggage compartment of my 118d. Overall, it's a more spacious and far more comfortable car than my BMW. The suspension feels a little bouncy and soft, though.

I was actually hoping to test a new Citroen C4 next week as a potential replacement for my BMW. I've caught the "new car fever" and the Citroen C4 is simply a stunning car. It's also more roomy than the 1er and by default more comfortable. And of course, way better-looking. This car is a work of art - it makes my 1er look bland!

I would like to have mine in this color.

Old 05-27-11, 01:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Cars are getting larger and larger because they have to stuff in all the nanny gadgets in somehow. Those 21 airbags, 47 computers, heart attack sensors, breath analyzers, alertness indicators, radar collision systems, black box recorders etc. have to fit somewhere.
Old 05-27-11, 01:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luv Paul's pics of "average americans", sadly I've seen too many families that look like that (parents and kids). lol, justthinking of all the fuel wasted hauling around that mass.
Old 05-27-11, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
sadly I've seen too many families that look like that (parents and kids).
Kids sitting down in front of the computer for long periods every day, (yes, like you and I do ), doesn't help much, either. I hit the treadmill at the County Rec-center every morning for a daily brisk-walk, followed by the indoor Olympic-pool there for as much of a swim (with friends) as my healing-chest-surgery will allow, and then the nice Jacuzzi-Spa there for a nice relaxation. If it wasn't for that (and my semi-vegetarian diet), I'd be heavier than I am now. (You don't burn many calories reviewing cars)
Old 05-27-11, 02:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Kids sitting down in front of the computer for long periods every day, (yes, like you and I do ), doesn't help much, either.
No kidding, kids and adults.

I remember sitting in the waiting area of a Bakers Square, and sure enough I actually saw the Big BUTT family (Mr., Mrs., son, daughter), it was not a pleasant sight.
Old 05-27-11, 03:16 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by DustinV
I believe another reason why so many Americans dislike small cars is because of the perceived image that they're uncomfortable, unsafe, cramped and perhaps underpowered (since they tend to have smaller engines).

Modern small cars are actually quite roomy inside, especially those with a pure FWD layout.

Although my 1 series is spacious enough for me and my wife upfront, the rear seats are virtually useless. I'm 6'4" so my seat needs to be shoved back all the way - which eliminates any remaining leg space in the rear. Aside from that, however, the 1er is quite roomy upfront and offers a practical and large trunk. Still, I am glad BMW didn't bring this model to North America as it doesn't make sense for the American market in its current form.

I don't think I need to talk about my Golf since that car was sold in the North American market.

The Mercedes B class of my in-laws on the other hand feels even more spacious overall than my ex-W204 C class. It's a purely FWD car with no AWD versions available, hence no space-consuming bump in front of the rear seats for the transmission shaft. The trunk is about as big as the luggage compartment of my 118d. Overall, it's a more spacious and far more comfortable car than my BMW. The suspension feels a little bouncy and soft, though.

I was actually hoping to test a new Citroen C4 next week as a potential replacement for my BMW. I've caught the "new car fever" and the Citroen C4 is simply a stunning car. It's also more roomy than the 1er and by default more comfortable. And of course, way better-looking. This car is a work of art - it makes my 1er look bland!

Has nothing to do with image for most. Yeah some think bigger is baller, some think bigger is safer but for many bigger has more use.

Looking at your location I wanted to note something, every single person I know from Europe that has came here on business to visit could not WAIT to drive a SUV or Trunk, so I always laugh at how some Americans think we need to be like Europe even though our lifestyle is much much different. I still think of someone from Frankfurt that wasn’t here more than a week and was living at the Jeep dealer drooling to get his hands on one. We won’t even get into my engine is bigger than my bosses ordeal…….. But he also loved that he could run down to home depot at 5pm on a Sunday and load his SUV up with stuff, so use is a big issue.

It’s just plain easier to have kids when you have more room. Ever try stuffing 2 kids, their stuff, a double stroller and maybe some groceries into a small car, good luck! And even then if you could, we don’t have to, so why would we?

A lot of Americans also have Boats, Trailers, Car Haulers, you name it. This is FAR different then many European countries
Old 05-27-11, 08:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by J.P.
Has nothing to do with image for most. Yeah some think bigger is baller, some think bigger is safer but for many bigger has more use.

Looking at your location I wanted to note something, every single person I know from Europe that has came here on business to visit could not WAIT to drive a SUV or Trunk, so I always laugh at how some Americans think we need to be like Europe even though our lifestyle is much much different. I still think of someone from Frankfurt that wasn’t here more than a week and was living at the Jeep dealer drooling to get his hands on one. We won’t even get into my engine is bigger than my bosses ordeal…….. But he also loved that he could run down to home depot at 5pm on a Sunday and load his SUV up with stuff, so use is a big issue.

It’s just plain easier to have kids when you have more room. Ever try stuffing 2 kids, their stuff, a double stroller and maybe some groceries into a small car, good luck! And even then if you could, we don’t have to, so why would we?

A lot of Americans also have Boats, Trailers, Car Haulers, you name it. This is FAR different then many European countries
Thank you. To make it more funny guess whats the largest growing segment in Europe? SUVs Guess what cars get bigger and heavier every generation? European cars. The 5 series is the size of a house now. BMW cant even export the 1 series yet b/c Europe loves it so much. They love their Cayennes, they love their Range Rovers. They don't buy small cars b/c of being slim, they buy them b/c gas is $.8.00, taxes are ridiculously high, space is limited cities and they can't afford it. I am all for small cars, I like small cars and America just doesn't like them. Is it our fault gas is cheaper, taxes are low and we have tons of space?

This is another rubbish article trying to get hits. I am 6"5, 240 and I fit fine in a Mini Cooper and I just sat in 3 different Fiat 500s the size of my shoe and I fit fine. This article is making it seem like people can't shut doors and hanging out the window b/c they can't fit.

I am truly tired of the **** poor writing when it comes to autos.

Old 05-28-11, 06:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV

generally it is mostly about width - smallers cars are narrower just because they are made so they can fit the city streets better... so when you have overweight people in front, they tend to hit each other with elbows which creates feeling of tight space.

C4 is blandomobile compared to Giulietta.

If I had *****, i would get Giulietta with those Italian leather seats.

Last edited by spwolf; 05-28-11 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-28-11, 06:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thank you. To make it more funny guess whats the largest growing segment in Europe? SUVs Guess what cars get bigger and heavier every generation? European cars. The 5 series is the size of a house now. BMW cant even export the 1 series yet b/c Europe loves it so much. They love their Cayennes, they love their Range Rovers. They don't buy small cars b/c of being slim, they buy them b/c gas is $.8.00, taxes are ridiculously high, space is limited cities and they can't afford it. I am all for small cars, I like small cars and America just doesn't like them. Is it our fault gas is cheaper, taxes are low and we have tons of space?

This is another rubbish article trying to get hits. I am 6"5, 240 and I fit fine in a Mini Cooper and I just sat in 3 different Fiat 500s the size of my shoe and I fit fine. This article is making it seem like people can't shut doors and hanging out the window b/c they can't fit.

I am truly tired of the **** poor writing when it comes to autos.
SUVs as in Nissan Juke, KIA Sportage, Tiguan... X1... yes.

definetly not huge SUVs :-)
Old 05-28-11, 06:52 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was surprised back in the '70's when the last rental car on the lot was a new Toyota Tercel. The wide door opened to reveal a commodious front seat - so commodious that with the seat all the way back, I could barely reach the pedals. Now I'm 6' 4", who did they build this thing for, King Kong? Of course my only other memory of that car was that I discovered the radio wouldn't play loud enough to be heard over the road noise. . .

Flash forward twenty years to the point I purchased a new Honda Civic. I wanted the Accord, but the intrusive console was leaving a dent in my right knee after only a few minutes under the wheel. The Civic had just undergone an up-sizing in '95, and the cabin wasn't much smaller than the Accord's - with the additional benefit of having no console. Headroom was tight with the moonroof, but by assuming the low-rider driving position, I fit pretty well.

After a few years of ownership and heavy use, the Civic had soldiered on, but in the rain and fog of a late night drive from New Orleans, westbound out of Lake Charles, headed for the Sabine River and the Texas border, an 18-wheeler passed me in a whirl of spray and I noticed something for the first time - I caught my reflection in his hubs that were level with my eyeballs. Traded the car the next week before I was squashed like a bug.
Old 05-28-11, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I was surprised back in the '70's when the last rental car on the lot was a new Toyota Tercel.
I don't want to nit-pick your posts, Lil, but the Tercel was not introduced in the American market until after the 1970s.....in 80-81.

The wide door opened to reveal a commodious front seat - so commodious that with the seat all the way back, I could barely reach the pedals. Now I'm 6' 4", who did they build this thing for, King Kong? Of course my only other memory of that car was that I discovered the radio wouldn't play loud enough to be heard over the road noise. . .
You're right about the tinny stereos (and the road noise) in the entry-level Japanese cars of that era. But the hardware-solidness, particularly in interior switches, *****, levers, stalks, etc...., back then, puts a lot of the flimsy stuff in today's cars to shame.
Old 05-28-11, 04:42 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I'm an American citizen who works and lives Germany.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of people are not car enthusiasts and when buying a vehicle generally place an emphasis on low costs. The Europeans you know who couldn't wait to try an American truck are most likely car enthusiasts or a little more car-crazed than the average European.

Also, owning such a car in the US is relatively cheap. Owning any car in Europe, even a small one, is expensive. A car here is a luxury in other words.

A car like a Golf or 1er is way to small for the average American family, but a mainstream car like a Volkswagen Passat or Renault Laguna, Skoda Superb, Citroen C5 etc. is spacious enough for both occupants and luggage.

Aside from such cars, there are also spacious small minivans available like a Volkswagen Sharan/Touran or Fiat Doblo for instance. Small, yet spacious.

I'm not claiming that these cars are ideal for most Americans, but if they were offered in the US Americans would have more choices available to them and there's always people around that think these cars are perfect for them.

I am aware of this.

However, many Europeans also tow various objects such as small boats, homes etc. I've seen people tow these things with cars like a BMW 5 series or even a Mercedes SL. These cars can be ordered with towing hitches for your information.
Old 05-28-11, 04:45 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Thank you. To make it more funny guess whats the largest growing segment in Europe? SUVs
But unlike in the US, these SUVs are small to midsize and they're offered with smaller gasoline and diesel engines geared towards efficiency.

Guess what cars get bigger and heavier every generation? European cars.
All cars have grown in size and weight. Modern safety standards and the demand for more standard features (and options) from consumers add weight.

At the same time, these heavier cars have gotten more fuel-efficient than their predecessors.

Quick Reply: Are Americans Too Big To Drive Small?