Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 11:31 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Fully loaded @ $54K?? Ouch... If I'm already spending $54K on an M1, I'd go ahead and spend the extra $7K and grab an M3. Not to mention you also touch the MB C63 AMG for only $3K more as well.
... but a fully loaded M3 will be something around $80,000.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Nice, but 3296 pound curb weight per BMW is pretty hefty still (especially when all fluids are topped off it's probably heavier than that).
Ya, you know the game has changed when 3296lbs qualifies for the "just" in reviews.

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I want to drive this 1 Series M... only concern is notorious twin turbo reliability on the inline-6 (N54)...
If it's the same powerplant as the other is models, at least it'll have a larger intercooler than the old N54s. Of course, I would still be concerned about reliability, since I still consider the HPFP and other reliability failures with this powerplant to be unresolved.
Old 05-15-11, 04:37 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E6BAV8R
Have they announced when the 2012 C63s are hitting the US? My friend is going to upgrade to one from his C350.
I now understand July for sedan.

September for the new C63 AMG coupe... cannot wait
Old 05-15-11, 10:00 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Looks like a beautiful girl with no ***.
Sitting in a restaurant, I laughed out loud at this analogy. I8, Thanks for the morning chuckle. I feel the exact same way about the M1, and your analogy was dead-on perfect.

I'm not sold. I am sure the car will have the famous M series handling dynamics and will thrill to drive but there is a lot said for that emotion you get when you walk up to your very nice looking car
Many

Something about that M1 just looks "cheap", almost like a glorified luxury economy car, trying to be ultra sporty.

From some angles though, it actually looks pretty good. From others, it just looks economy car-ish. But I definitely could see women in this car, and the car actually fits their stature.

For that kind of money, like I8 said, when I walk up to the car, I want to be 'in love' every time. M1 just can't produce that feeling consistently for me, no matter how great the shoes look coupled with the right drop.

Nice try, BMW....but I'll take the M3.
Old 05-15-11, 01:19 PM
LexFather

What the hell is the point of an M car if it shares the same engine with regular models? I really really really wanted to love this car but it simply shows how the "M" division is about sales and not about its heritage.

Old 05-15-11, 04:08 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What the hell is the point of an M car if it shares the same engine with regular models? I really really really wanted to love this car but it simply shows how the "M" division is about sales and not about its heritage.
That's what a lot of people said earlier, and that's exactly what I thought too. But I really want one now. OMG! please someone stop me.
Old 05-15-11, 06:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by STIG
That's what a lot of people said earlier, and that's exactly what I thought too. But I really want one now. OMG! please someone stop me.
No, go buy an E46 M3

Old 05-15-11, 11:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for some reason i just can't get myself too excited about this car... the look just kind of shut me off...
Old 05-15-11, 11:27 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

for $55k i would definitely get a fully loaded 335is coupe, it shares the same engine as the 1M (de-tuned to have 10 less hp) and a much better looking exterior. the only thing 1M has over the 335is is the suspension but that can be easily fix by aftermarket coilovers.
Old 05-16-11, 10:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

not a great looker, but no doubt a wonderful drive.

price isn't out of line given lousy dollar, german labor costs, increasing costs of everything, and that this is more of an "i want" car than "sound financial decision".
Old 05-24-11, 12:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default BMW 1 Series M to be one year and done?

BMW 1 Series M to be one year and done?

Did you pick up your 2011 BMW 1 Series M? If not, you may be paying a lot more for one down the road. The $46,135 German sports coupe will be produced through the end of this year... and then it's done. According to TheDetroitBureau.com, BMW admits that its latest sex toy pumped-up two-door will have a very limited run of one model year.

That's not to say we won't see another version on the future. However, it could be several years before that happens, which should make the current (and only) crop of BMW 1 Series M cars quite collectible.

After reading TDB's report, we pressed BMW for some more insight into the matter, and received confirmation that the current 1 Series M is only sticking around for the 2011 model year. The next generation 1 Series is at least two-and-a-half to three years away, which is too much time to speculate on a future 1 Series M. Curious as to how many 2011 1 Series M coupes will be produced? So are we, and BMW can only share that "less than 1,000 units" will be produced in 2011.

Said another way... get in line. Now.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/24/b...year-and-done/
Old 05-24-11, 05:27 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Agreed. I would feel cheated that my M car has the same engine as other non M cars with just a tuned up boost.