Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Generation '12 Camry will be available for sale in Sept.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 09:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
how do you mean "finally"? 5-6 year is industry norm...
And i guess cause it has headlights and a grill it looks like that car?

SMH...

I bet there was no comment like "wow, the Camry came quick" when the last model debuted in 4 1/2 years instead of 5/6.

Frustrating

Old 05-19-11, 09:19 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about anyone else, but when the current model Camry was unveiled, I thought it was a huge change in style. It looked so radical from the previous Camry. Now there are so many on the road it looks ho-hum. That's my reaction to the current design. This one looks like it is subduing some of the lines, for the better. But the exterior will be fine for what it will be, an unoffensive massmarket sell by the buckets form of transport. The interior is where they dropped the ball with the current model. The silver painted plastic looked and felt cheap the second I touched it. It looks cheaper now that the silver paint has begun to rub off on my mother's camry. The molded plastic bits on the inside do not have the same fit and finish as the previous camrys. Atleast it doesn't squeak or rattle.
Old 05-19-11, 09:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
???????????
Family resemblance with the new Versa-S in Europe...

Old 05-20-11, 06:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

btw for those that dont know, Subaru also slapped its face on Verso-S :-)

Old 05-20-11, 07:47 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the current Camry first hit production, was the hybrid available right from the start, or was there a delay of some sort?
Old 05-20-11, 09:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alucard
When the current Camry first hit production, was the hybrid available right from the start, or was there a delay of some sort?
There will probably be a delay.
The new Camry should have a different engine with hybrid set up.It need more power and MPGs like the Ford Fusion.
I have the 2.4L in my hybrid and the '10 &'11 gas Camry have a 2.5L.
That engine will probably be in the '12.
I'm very interested in the new Camry and was very disappointed when it wasn't as the NY Car Show I attended..
Old 05-20-11, 10:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
There will probably be a delay.
The new Camry should have a different engine with hybrid set up.It need more power and MPGs like the Ford Fusion.
I have the 2.4L in my hybrid and the '10 &'11 gas Camry have a 2.5L.
That engine will probably be in the '12.
I'm very interested in the new Camry and was very disappointed when it wasn't as the NY Car Show I attended..
possibly...

i would think it would be new 2.5l that can be used in ES, CT, Rav4... but you never know, they might want to save some costs and optimize current 2.4l, although i doubt it.
Old 05-20-11, 10:09 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alucard
I believe there was a slight delay.

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/cam...ion-debut.html
Old 05-20-11, 01:23 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Article

HALF MOON BAY, CA – A 7th-generation version of the Toyota Camry, the best-selling passenger car in the U.S., is due for a fall launch, a top company official confirms.

"We haven't announced the next-gen Camry, (but) I will tell you (the current) Camry is very close to the end of its lifecycle, and a fall introduction is a pretty good educated guess," Bob Carter, group vice president and general manager-Toyota Div. tells Ward's during a Prius V event here.

Carter denies there has been a model delay, before or after Japan’s March 11 earthquake and tsunami. “There has been no significant change to our plans,” he says. “Any adjustments I've made have been a matter of days, not weeks."

Toyota sold 327,804 Camrys last year, the car's lowest tally since 1994, Ward's data shows.

The current-generation Camry debuted in March 2006 as an ’07 model, giving it a 5.5-year lifecycle, if the new model debuts in the fall as expected.

While that’s a longer span than ’80s and ’90s-era Camrys, it's on par with the last-generation model. It also is similar to the gap between the current and previous Honda Accord, the 2nd-best-selling midsize sedan in the U.S.

However, Korea’s Hyundai and Kia brands have been more aggressive in their replacement schedules, with just 4 years between the current and last-generation Hyundai Sonata, for example.

The latest Sonata, along with Kia's new Optima midsize sedan, are considered by many industry watchers to be serious competitors to the leading Japanese models due to their highly styled exteriors and improved fuel economy

Both the Sonata and Optima saw sharp sales increases through April, while Camry deliveries inched up by a slimmer margin and the Accord dipped slightly.

The Sonata sold 73,616 units in the 1st 4 months, up 46.4%, according to Ward’s data, while Optima deliveries numbered 22,087, up 81.4%. Camry sales reached 107,264, up 11.1%, while Accord deliveries slipped to 94,375, down 0.5%.

Although the Camry has been Toyota's long-time best-seller, company officials believe that honor eventually will go to the Prius hybrid, should gasoline prices remain high long-term.

“(The) Camry and Corolla defined the brand in the ’80s and ’90s,” Carter says. “In the 2000s, Camry has defined the brand. And when you get to the latter half of this decade, Prius will define the brand. That's where the customer is going.”

Regarding the Prius, Carter says Toyota will have 36,000 units in stock at U.S. Toyota dealers this summer to satisfy demand. That’s about 60%-70% of the typical summer inventory level for the car.

While Prius sales rose through the year’s 1st 4 months, April U.S. deliveries slipped 4.3% due to the disruption in supply from Japan, where the car is assembled.

Prius production, which was halted for 2 weeks following the quake, has been running at 50% since late March but is expected to increase to 70% in June.
Old 05-20-11, 04:39 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That '12 Camry rendering in the thread is to now said to be the hybrid on a Camry forum.

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-20-11 at 04:49 PM.