Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

High Gas Prices Don't Seem to be Affecting D.C. Area Traffic.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts
Default High Gas Prices Don't Seem to be Affecting D.C. Area Traffic.

I've noticed one difference between this round of $4+ a gallon gas prices, compared to the last round in the summer of 2008 (BTW, Shell regular reached $4.17 this morning in my neighborhood). Back then, local traffic was noticeably affected. The D.C. area has some of the worst and most congested traffic in the country...by several transportation studies, second or third only to the SoCal/L.A. region and other parts of CA, and traffic in this area almost NEVER really thins out, except for a brief period on Sunday mornings. So, for gas prices to significantly affect D.C. area traffic is quite an accomplishment.

But......that was 3 years ago. The area has grown, since then, in both population and traffic (the presence of both the Federal Government and numerous high-tech industries in this region means that it is not affected as much by recessions as most areas are). This time, traffic continues bumper-to-bumper, despite gas prices that are just as bad, if not worse, than 3 years ago.

How is it where you live? Some of you, of course, live in rural areas or small towns where it probably doesn't make much difference.....you don't ever have much traffic to start with. But for those of you in or near big cities (Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, Etc.....) with typically bad traffic, have the high gas prices made a difference? These areas are usually more suseptable to the economic effects of inflation/recession than the D.C. area is.
Old 04-30-11, 10:40 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It got lighter here back when the prices jumped the first time and never really recovered to how it was before. So its hard to tell if there has been a change this year.
Old 04-30-11, 10:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No improvement in weekday traffic in the high tech capital of the world (silicon valley) unfortunately. But technology has been one of the bright spots in US economy in recent months, so not expecting much relief. And alternate commuting modes are limited/useless.
Old 04-30-11, 10:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

No surprise, seems like nothing affects traffic around here but lucky for me I work from home 90% of the time now.
Old 04-30-11, 11:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

zero difference in Houston area
Old 04-30-11, 11:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

it takes time to change habits...
Old 04-30-11, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
And alternate commuting modes are limited/useless.
Even if there isn't much in the way of public-transit in Silicon Valley, with all the local high-tech jobs, telecommuting (working out of one's own computer at home) should be a viable option for a number of people. So, in some cases, would be traditional carpooling. Here in D.C., Federal agencies pay out subsidies each month to employees to take public transit (I used to get them myself). In your area, don't companies do the same thing to encourage alternate-commuting modes, even if buses/subways are not available?
Old 04-30-11, 12:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even if there isn't much in the way of public-transit in Silicon Valley, with all the local high-tech jobs, telecommuting (working out of one's own computer at home) should be a viable option for a number of people. So, in some cases, would be traditional carpooling. Here in D.C., Federal agencies pay out subsidies each month to employees to take public transit (I used to get them myself). In your area, don't companies do the same thing to encourage alternate-commuting modes, even if buses/subways are not available?
A certain amount of telecommuting takes place here no matter what gas prices are, gas prices are not a big factor in choosing that mode. Some large companies here have transit incentives, but since most of the job growth happens at small to medium (newer) companies, the impact is limited.
Old 04-30-11, 10:45 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 413 Likes on 341 Posts

I've noticed that traffic has been the same in Oklahoma City and in Dallas for me. Traffic doesn't get that bad in my area of Oklahoma City though. It always sucks in Dallas.
Old 05-01-11, 06:25 PM
feetsies
Rookie

Traffic is getting worse here in central VA. Only time it got better was in 2008 when everyone was losing their job.
Old 05-01-11, 06:31 PM
LexFather

Noticed regular was 4.09 at one of the more expensive gas stations and diesel was $4.39....

Old 05-01-11, 07:52 PM
eggwoll
Lead Lap

just paid 4.61 for premium two days ago. never noticed a difference in traffic with the rising fuel prices. traffic may have even gotten worse... lol
Old 05-01-11, 09:00 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to agree with MMarshall that the traffic here is terrible and i hate it. Only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that i work for DC's largest public transportation agency and ride the system for free. But that only applies to a small fraction of my work commute. Alot of times my changing working locations are not accessible by train or bus so i would have to drive my thirsty V8 to work. With a gallon of premium in my area at around $4.30, its costing me about $90 to fill weekly if i drive a lot. Also, the fact that DC is making it hard to own/operate cars here lately is another annoying thing we have to deal with here in the nations capital. Increased parking fines, limited parking spaces, abundance of one-way streets, costly parking garages, and tow truck companies that seems to be on steriods coupled with the high gas prices makes for an unpleasant experience.
Old 05-01-11, 10:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by feetsies
Traffic is getting worse here in central VA. Only time it got better was in 2008 when everyone was losing their job.
In the summer of 2008, it was gas prices, more than the economy, that caused the noticeable decrease in traffic here in VA. Traffic increased once again after the price dropped way down again that fall.
Old 05-02-11, 01:29 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No difference here in SF either!

Roads are just as congested as ever...

Quick Reply: High Gas Prices Don't Seem to be Affecting D.C. Area Traffic.