Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru separates Impreza from WRX & STI

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 08:28 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru separates Impreza from WRX & STI

Subaru separates Impreza from WRX & STI
With the launch of the fourth generation Subaru Impreza, the Japanese company will separate the Impreza model from the WRX and STI variants. Whilst the new 2012 Subaru Impreza naturally aspirated models will go on sale as soon as supply production from Japan is sorted, the WRX and STI variants will continue to be sold in the third generation shape for the forceable future.

Speaking to CarAdvice in New York, Subaru’s Impreza Product General Manager, Mr Akihide Takeuchi, said work on the replacement turbocharged engine has commenced but would not give any further details. He did confirm that it will not be based on the EJ25 and will not simply be a turbocharged version of the new boxer engine.

He said that the new boxer engine was designed with fuel efficiency and performance in naturally-aspirated application as top priority, making its design architecture less suitable for a turbocharger.

Mr Takeuchi said that a decision on the future platform of the WRX and STI was due very soon. Talk of separation between the Impreza and its sport derivatives makes us wonder if we might see a two-door WRX/STI model in the future.

On the surface this may sound like bad news for WRX/STI fans but it can indeed mean that future models will be built from the ground up to be sports cars as oppose to just being an Impreza with performance bits.

In related news, talk of a hybrid Impreza is still on-going with Mr Takeuchi admitting that “hybrid is very important” as his company continues to study the technology for viability.

Perhaps the next generation Impreza WRX/STI models will be turbocharged hybrids? Only time will tell.
Old 04-27-11, 08:59 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highly unlikely they'll build a separate chassis for the WRX/STI.

Subaru is still a fairly low volume player, I can't see them being able to afford engineering a separate chassis just for the WRX/STI (mostly low volume sellers of an already low volume company).

I think this just means they'll have a completely new motor for the WRX/STI placed in the same Impreza body/chassis.
Old 04-27-11, 09:08 AM
LexFather

Similar to Nissan splittting Nissan Skyline GT-R as a trim level to
1. Nissan Skyline (INinitii G37)
2. GT-R (stand alone model)

Old 04-27-11, 09:17 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That's interesting. I thought they were already separate since I've never seen just a regular Impreza driving around.
Old 04-27-11, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's a good web site with some advance 2012 Impreza specs.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/impreza2012.html
Old 04-27-11, 05:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Typical of Subaru. Same was true of the 3rd gen. We waited for the WRX and STi variants....and a long time for the STi sedan variant.
Old 04-27-11, 06:17 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

The delay is most likely due to developing the new FB motor into a higher-powered turbocharged unit.

I don't suspect they are doing a "totally" different chassis, but a widebody version of the 2012 design like they did with the 2011's. I suspect the 2013 model will catch up.