Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

license restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 05:46 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As others have stated, each state has their own rules regarding young drivers. Another interesting aspect is the, well, aspect of the license. While we are used to seeing driver licenses in landscape mode, some states have teen licenses (under 21) in portrait mode so it is immediately obvious that the person is under 21 when it comes to operating restrictions or the purchase of alcohol / tobacco.
Old 04-27-11, 09:08 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
This sounds like an awful law. I know a lot of kids I grew up with, when they got their licenses, they drove their parents' extra or second car or something like that to go to school (I was the same way) - and these days, I'd think most of those cars would break the 270hp or 8-cylinder rule. I would think laws like this might even wind up pushing parents to buy their kids cars just to abide by the law and these might be used cars - or if new, smaller or even compact cars which might be less safe in crashes than the larger cars with >270hp or 8 cylinders or more.
Of course this law would create hassle, but all law does that, law is a restriction to provide safety. I agreed with this law, I am sure you know driving skills mostly come from experience, letting an unexperience person drive a high power fast car is very dangerous. I saw a high school age kid the other day driving a Porsche Carrera GT with a very hot girl, we all know that car takes a lot of skills to drive fast, and no teenager behind the wheel of a C-GT would take it slow

Unskill driver + fast/hard to drive car + teenage male testosterone + have to show off for hot girl =

Of course my main concern is public safety on the street, but also we can't afford to lose precious limited quanity hot cars

Last edited by BNR34; 04-27-11 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 09:52 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

American drivers are horrible, no getting around that. The training in most states is either zero or minimal and there are no restrictions or learning curves aside from some minimal driving hours with an instructor. Mine was 8 hours, but they waive that if you are older. Most areas have no formal laws against eating, drinking, texting, calling, reading, etc while driving and I swear to god someone almost runs into me EVERY day due to one thing or another. I can't even remember the last time I went a day without using my horn. It seems like 1 out of 100 actually knows what the fast and slow lane is. Once you pass your test, you keep your license FOREVER unless you have it taken away for violations, so old people are out causing accidents until the day they die. Law enforcement does nothing to keep the roads safe other than set up speed traps for revenue or fish for DUI's. Our roadways are a constant hazard to everyone on them.

The worst is the motorcycle license. In the states, you can walk into a DMV, take a written 20 question test about basic motoring laws, and walk out with a temporary motorcycle license. This license allows you to operate ANY motorcycle with a couple restrictions like wearing a helmet, no passengers, no night riding, but there is no identification on the bike via plates, sticker, or tax disc to identify learners. Any moron can get a license to operate an unlimited-class motorcycle in about 30 minutes and there is no visible distinction between him and someone that is experienced. Some states don't even have helmet laws, apparently to let people weed themselves out by darwinism or something.
Old 04-27-11, 09:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
American drivers are horrible, no getting around that. The training in most states is either zero or minimal and there are no restrictions or learning curves aside from some minimal driving hours with an instructor. Mine was 8 hours, but they waive that if you are older. Most areas have no formal laws against eating, drinking, texting, calling, reading, etc while driving and I swear to god someone almost runs into me EVERY day due to one thing or another. I can't even remember the last time I went a day without using my horn. It seems like 1 out of 100 actually knows what the fast and slow lane is. Once you pass your test, you keep your license FOREVER unless you have it taken away for violations, so old people are out causing accidents until the day they die. Law enforcement does nothing to keep the roads safe other than set up speed traps for revenue or fish for DUI's. Our roadways are a constant hazard to everyone on them.

The worst is the motorcycle license. In the states, you can walk into a DMV, take a written 20 question test about basic motoring laws, and walk out with a temporary motorcycle license. This license allows you to operate ANY motorcycle with a couple restrictions like wearing a helmet, no passengers, no night riding, but there is no identification on the bike via plates, sticker, or tax disc to identify learners. Any moron can get a license to operate an unlimited-class motorcycle in about 30 minutes and there is no visible distinction between him and someone that is experienced. Some states don't even have helmet laws, apparently to let people weed themselves out by darwinism or something.
Perfectly said, agreed 100%

I think it is cool that the law is so easy and loose. But then is scary when people on the road don't know what they are doing.